Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What makes a great Irish figure?

Is it achievement, column inches or effect on lives of others?

I'd go for Ernest Thomas Sinton Walton or Mick the Miller.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JohnDenver

Hard to look past Dustin the Turkey. He'd get my vote.

Orior

The greatest Irish figure is 32.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

balladmaker

I must move my tax base to Holland to avoid paying unneccessary taxes in Ireland....then maybe I can get a nomination the next time round.

Hedley Lamarr

How could they forget Ireland's greatest....Terry.....no not Wogan....but Phelan ;)

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

muppet

Quote from: balladmaker on October 19, 2010, 12:32:11 PM
I must move my tax base to Holland to avoid paying unneccessary taxes in Ireland....then maybe I can get a nomination the next time round.

I love this typical hypocrisy.

Ireland trawls the world to get businesses to pay their (reduced) taxes in Ireland, at the expense of the countries of origin of those businesses and in particular the territories where those businesses trade. This set up is now considered vital to the financial viability of the state.

However we are up in arms when another business decides to legally do the same thing, but not in Ireland.

If you want U2 to pay their international taxes their home country then tell Intel and Dell etc to do the same. See where that gets us.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2010, 02:06:38 PM

Ireland trawls the world to get businesses to pay their (reduced) taxes in Ireland, at the expense of the countries of origin of those businesses and in particular the territories where those businesses trade. This set up is now considered vital to the financial viability of the state.

However we are up in arms when another business decides to legally do the same thing, but not in Ireland.

If you want U2 to pay their international taxes their home country then tell Intel and Dell etc to do the same. See where that gets us.

Well said Muppet, fair play to you.

Another thing Balladmaker - I assume you'll manage the little trifle of wiping out huge national debts for the poorest countries in the world? No bother to ya.

Bono is far from perfect but the lack of credit he gets in Ireland for genuinely huge achievements is disgraceful and typical of our old-style begrudgery which you'd have hoped we'd have grown out of by now.

Hardy

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2010, 02:25:04 PM

Another thing Balladmaker - I assume you'll manage the little trifle of wiping out huge national debts for the poorest countries in the world? No bother to ya.

Bono is far from perfect but the lack of credit he gets in Ireland for genuinely huge achievements is disgraceful and typical of our old-style begrudgery which you'd have hoped we'd have grown out of by now.

I'm sorry but Bono is an absolute dick. The difference between U2 and other companies is that other companies don't pretend to be sanctimonious little pricks. It's very easy for him to tell Ireland, France, the U.K., U.S.A., Germany etc. to cancel debt for African countries. It's very easy for him to do it because it's our tax money which will be required to cancel this debt. If he doesn't want to burden the debt of taxation like the rest of us, he should shut the fck up and bring out a decent song.

Hypocrisy = Bono
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JohnDenver on October 19, 2010, 11:13:49 AM
Hard to look past Dustin the Turkey. He'd get my vote.

That would be one more than the useless bird got in Europe last time round! ;D

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 19, 2010, 02:41:25 PM

I'm sorry but Bono is an absolute dick. The difference between U2 and other companies is that other companies don't pretend to be sanctimonious little pricks. It's very easy for him to tell Ireland, France, the U.K., U.S.A., Germany etc. to cancel debt for African countries. It's very easy for him to do it because it's our tax money which will be required to cancel this debt. If he doesn't want to burden the debt of taxation like the rest of us, he should shut the fck up and bring out a decent song.

Hypocrisy = Bono

This is more of it. Bono and U2 pay tax on their earnings in Ireland the same as the rest of us. They pay tax on earnings outside the state, outside the state. Do you understand this?

"he should shut the fck up". According to the documentary there are 3 million people in Africa alive today because he didn't do what people like you want.

Would you put your prejudice above 3 million lives?
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2010, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 19, 2010, 02:41:25 PM

Hypocrisy = Bono

This is more of it. Bono and U2 pay tax on their earnings in Ireland the same as the rest of us. They pay tax on earnings outside the state, outside the state. Do you understand this?

"he should shut the fck up". According to the documentary there are 3 million people in Africa alive today because he didn't do what people like you want.

Would you put your prejudice above 3 million lives?

It's not a prejudice it's an opinion. This is the same crap all over, I'm sure if it was a tax paying banking executive you would be screaming the house down. It's ridiculous that they get exemptions as artists when they are at the very least multi-millionaires. Tax paid in Ireland could be used for essential services and reducing poverty in Ireland (well in principle, as this government seem intent on giving billions more to the banks, but that's a different discussion).

Why should the rest of us put our money where his mouth is, when he doesn't.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 19, 2010, 03:04:44 PM
It's not a prejudice it's an opinion. This is the same crap all over, I'm sure if it was a tax paying banking executive you would be screaming the house down. It's ridiculous that they get exemptions as artists when they are at the very least multi-millionaires. Tax paid in Ireland could be used for essential services and reducing poverty in Ireland (well in principle, as this government seem intent on giving billions more to the banks, but that's a different discussion).

Why should the rest of us put our money where his mouth is, when he doesn't.

You don't seem to understand this.

His mouth has kept 3 million people alive. You want him to shut it.

He pays tax in Ireland like me and you and your bank executives. Your ideology on forcing U2 to pay foreign earnings here would bankrupt the State if it was applied to all businesses.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

One reason why developed countries should cut/wipe out these debts is because they have raped the poorer countries of their resources to help their own development. Did you conveniently forget that in your xenophobic rant?

3 million people. Just think about that.