Maigh Eo V Muineachán 28/3/2010

Started by Main Street, March 22, 2010, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

It's kind of mad alright, that the 3 of ye will be in Div 4 next year and contesting this year's Connacht final. On the day anything is possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 30, 2010, 10:29:31 AM
Arah yea sure no point in bringing anyone until they've gotten at least 3/4 years experience of playing senior football for the county. Just ask Darren Fay in 1996.

Ok, firstly nobody said anything about 3-4 years experience but calling for Kevin Keane to be thrown in a couple of months before the championship is rubbish talk. Darren Fay was 20 when he burst on the scene in 1996 but he was exceptional. Can you call Kevin Keane exceptional when he was not this years county U21 FB?

If someone cant make the U21 team, what chance have they at Senior this year?

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 30, 2010, 01:04:33 PM
Arah yea sure no point in bringing anyone until they've gotten at least 3/4 years experience of playing senior football for the county. Just ask Darren Fay in 1996.

Ok, firstly nobody said anything about 3-4 years experience but calling for Kevin Keane to be thrown in a couple of months before the championship is rubbish talk. Darren Fay was 20 when he burst on the scene in 1996 but he was exceptional. Can you call Kevin Keane exceptional when he was not this years county U21 FB?

It was the managers call to put Keane in the corner and McHale at full. Same as it was his call to play Kevin McL at 11 and Nally at midfield. Another manager may have done things differently. Keane was our best defender in that U21 match and looks a better bet going forward that McHale but he too may have something to offer down the road. I believe it was a question of McHale being less versatile and only suited to 3 while Keane was able to play corner. McHale played 5 at minor but looked lost there at times.
What we do know now is that the options for full back line we have at the moment will not be good enough again. We can try and fix it or hope it goes away but it wont go away. We dont know Keane wont work but we already know a couple that def wont. Am I the only one that thinks it a bit strange that Cunniffe is straight back into the panel without having played in over a year - no club form or anything to go on. His form before injury was nt great either.

Lar Naparka

Quote. Still, like against Dublin, when Trevor starts wild the whole team gets the jitters. He is the heart and soul of the team, that is why he is captain. Its unthinkable to drop him but how to use him to best effect?
If I was manager I would look at him again in the half back line because he does too many silly things in the forwards.

I feel you have summed Trevor very well, moysider.  When push comes to shove, I think he is the one they all look to for encouragement and I just can't visualise him ever giving less than his best. But I'd be wary of giving him the no. 5 spot on the basis of "Put the fecker where he'll do least harm."
If heart was all it takes, Trevor would have a sack of All Ireland medals by now. But he does lose his cool when things aren't going well and I'd be very concerned about him giving away scoreable frees too easily if he was playing at chb or thereabouts.
But for me the salient point is that the rest of the team look to him almost exclusively for inspiration and when he starts to get rattled, there is nobody else to take up the slack.
With any of the successful teams I can recall, there has always been a number of characters throughout the field who are or were capable of instinctively raising their game if their talisman was shackled.  So, if the Gooch is being kept quiet, Kerry can look to Donaghy or indeed any number of others to take up the running. More or less the same applies to Tyrone and the rest of the high profile teams.
I quite agree that Dillon and Keith Higgins were playing very well until both were unfortunately forced to retire and I can't see Mayo winning anything major without the presence of both- in the near future at any rate.
One can only wish both a speedy and complete recovery both personally and for the good of the team. But, for me anyway, the VIP on the team is David Clarke. I thought he was the one man on Sunday and on many occasions in the past that seemed at ease with his game. From kick outs to interceptions and at marshalling his backs, he seldom puts a foot wrong and he helped greatly to keep Mayo in shape while Monaghan were in the ascendancy last Sunday. I definitely feel that O'Mahony cannot consider going anywhere without Clarke between the posts.
I had expected he would decide that enough was enough at the end of last season-especially after the display against Meath. I feel he has enough of his own faults but he couldn't be blamed for the collective collapse of morale we saw that day.
I'm only echoing Kevin McStay's words when he said that no one was prepared to show for the ball or take on responsibility during the entire game.   You can't teach old dogs new tricks and I didn't see any merit in calling for coaching courses for most of the lads on show that day. Still Johnno hung in and it can only be because he sees potential in those who are coming through.
That's why I hope he makes the bare minimum of changes for the next game. Kevin Keane may prove to be a godsend but his time is still to come. I'd feel that throwing him in at the deep end to face Goulding or Lynch or any of the present Cork forwards wouldn't be in his best interests or Mayo's either.
I think Mayo will give Cork one hell of a game next day and I'd go 50/50 on a win.
If some of the older hands show some more initiative and the younger lads continue to sharpen up, it will suffice for me.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2010, 01:33:10 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 30, 2010, 01:04:33 PM

It was the managers call to put Keane in the corner and McHale at full. Same as it was his call to play Kevin McL at 11 and Nally at midfield. Another manager may have done things differently.

Id agree. My theory is it would have been more so one of the selectors call that would have pushed Nally to midfield, at the cost of Jason Gibbons for his own reasons. And it may have been the other selector that would have ensured that McHale was full back at the cost of Keane.  ::)

Is it any wonder we underachieved this year with that carry-on.

What we do know now is that the options for full back line we have at the moment will not be good enough again. We can try and fix it or hope it goes away but it wont go away. We dont know Keane wont work but we already know a couple that def wont.
Ill totally agree with that one. We are in serious trouble this year as we dont have many options in the fullback line, and teams will go out to expose that.
I think myself that Conroy and Ger Caff can fill the position of full back on certain days. I think Conroy would be Ok on the likes of Bergan/Donnaughy/Cussan or most big full forwards as he is Ok in the air. He is not a natural defender IMO and is more suited to mid-field but there are days when he can do a job at full back.
I was very impressed with Ger Caff last year and would trust him to play in the corner against pacey forwards and indeed at full back, as long as high balls are not raining in on top of him as fielding is not his strongest point. On current form, Liam O Malley deserves his place. I liked the look of Chris Barrett who really settled into the game very well the last day and took his score with great composure. The variations of the fullback line I would like to see against Cork would be;

Cafferkey, Conroy, Liam, O Malley
Or on certain days
Chris Barrett, Cafferkey, Liam O Malley

Am I the only one that thinks it a bit strange that Cunniffe is straight back into the panel without having played in over a year - no club form or anything to go on. His form before injury was nt great either.

No your not, even seeing his name makes me shudder. Apologies to anyone I insult with that statement but I dont rate him at all. Im surprised as yourself that he is straight back into the panel, was he named on the program? (I cant remember)

rosnarun

@moysider
Did you actually read my post befoe your critique
The ? Marks are the places up for grabs. And i did have dillion at 11. But i thou in an effort to accomdate mcgarr parsons and ose major he may move seamus to 11 like the first few league games.
As for keane not makin the u21 that is some whzt of a distortion he was picked for both games but due to a family funeral didnt play against leitrm ans was the defacto full back against Ros. He is worth a shot and IF you are godd enough you are old enough and cafferkey looks too young

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Great news on Keith's knee - he hasn't done the cruciate!
Mid-West (and WJ where I saw it) are reporting that he has sprained his medial ligament. Will probably miss the Cork game, but will be fine for Championship (and maybe the league final  :P)

MAYO FOOTBALL AND HURLING STAR KEITH HIGGINS HAS UNDERGONE AN MRI SCAN TODAY, AFTER HE SUSTAINED A KNEE INJURY IN SUNDAY'S NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE CLASH WITH MONAGHAN.

MAYO MANAGER JOHN O'MAHONY SAYS THE NEWS IS GOOD – WHILE KEITH HAS SUSTAINED A SPRAIN OF THE MEDIAL LIGAMENT, THERE'S NO CRUCIATE DAMAGE.

THE BALLYHAUNIS PLAYER WILL NEED TREATMENT, AND WILL PROBABLY MISS THE CRUCIAL CORK GAME ON SUNDAY WEEK NEXT.

HOWEVER, IF MAYO REACH THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINAL, JOHN O'MAHONY SAYS KEITH HIGGINS SHOULD BE IN CONTENTION.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Foreverhopeful

QuoteBut, for me anyway, the VIP on the team is David Clarke. I thought he was the one man on Sunday and on many occasions in the past that seemed at ease with his game.
great to see David Clarke being praised. He is an outstanding keeper. Surprised he isn't mentioned more on the National level. He is an incredible shot-stopper and a leader of this team. He would be my captain. He is quiet off the pitch but on it he barks out the orders to the backs and keeps them on their toes.
Keane should at the very least be brought in to the panel. I know that would leave us with 4 full backs but conroy is a utility man covering 3,6,8 &9. Cafferkey needs a shot in the corner.
Would love to see David & James Kilcullen, Aidan Campbell in the panel. Is there any hope??
What is the point in carrying the likes of Ger McDonagh in the panel this year? None IMO. Throw in James Kilcullen to the midfield mix and there will be serious competition in training. Something McGarrity hasn't had in a long time.
I think the sheer pace of Tom Cuniffe is what get's him on the panel. He has a serious turn of pace and JOM obviously sees some use for it. He deserves another chance to see can he nail down a spot on the team. Not sure where tho.

moysider

That s as good as news as could be dreamed about re Keith Higgins. We dodged a bullet there. Looked very bad. His ligaments must be made of elastic.

mannix

ITs great to see Keith Higgins being mentioned in a game not a month away, the joys of being young and able to take a knock. How is Gardiner coming along?Will Harte be with Mayo this year?

ludermor

Foreverhopeful
Did Mikey Sweeney tackle your sister or something? You have been going on about him since you came to the board. He is just out of U21's and is still developing, has pace to burn, a good eye for goal but needs to fill out. Knowing the stock he comes from that will happen and in my biased view he is well worth his place in the squad where he could be used in certain games , maybe not all. You dont live up to your name in contantly dismissing the lad.

Zulu

Joker's Mild

Conor Mortimer has calmed down and is ready to stand up for his county, writes Ewan MacKenna

The west is awake: realising that time is short in his career, Conor Mortimer is now hoping people will be talking about him for the right reasons rather than for the likes of his Michael Jackson tribute in last year's Connacht final

It's getting late and the phone has stayed far too silent for far too long. Conor Mortimer should have called by now but it's been 24 hours and he hasn't gotten back to you with a time or location to meet. Suddenly, well past nightfall and the limits of your hopefulness, the phone goes off. It's a message. "Sorry sham, only back. Been away all day and gym this evening, just got my other phone now. Mort here." You can only laugh because there on the screen is the essence of the man. Just when you think he's pushed you too far, he turns himself back into the loveable rogue.

We meet the next day as he takes a break from job hunting. It hasn't gone well for him but you're still looking forward to the next few hours and his company because Conor Mortimer is always outspoken, never gives a damn and it's been a long time since you've been referred to as sham. In short, he's a rarity in a sport becoming ever more grey in terms of personalities. In fact the last time you crossed paths before the 2006 All Ireland final he finished the interview by saying, "If you ever need anything, just give the Mort a call" while throwing in a wink and a twist of the head for good measure.

In his wild and wacky world, life and football appear to be just two different games to be played and with that mantra in mind you take him back to an incident last April where he and Meath defender Kevin Reilly were hospitalised after being attacked in Ballymun. You ask what exactly happened, throwing in rumours that it kicked off over remarks he made to a girl in pyjamas?

"No comment," he snaps.

But everyone else has their opinion, shouldn't you just say what really happened?

"It's not for the public. It's a private issue. There's nothing to be said on it out of respect for the individuals involved. There was no talk then and there'll be none now. Nobody knows."

You know. You were there.

"Maybe I was there. Maybe I wasn't there."

So it was misreported?

"Don't know. People can think what they want. No comment."

Well on a less serious note then, tell us about Michael Jackson, you say, referring to his RIP t-shirt which he unveiled after scoring a goal in last year's Connacht final.

"I don't see the point in giving it my time. It was just a gag that wasn't an issue for anyone in our squad. People always make big things out of small things when it comes to me. I haven't spoken about it for that reason so no comment chief, and as they say, next question please.

Okay. Next question then. What happened to Conor Mortimer?

"I just realised it's time to put the head down. I wasn't happy with the way last year was from a personal point of view. I'm not 21 years of age anymore. I'll be 28 in May. The hassle I've had over the years and jibes and everything else, you get tired of it. I am a serious footballer and want to be seen as a serious footballer."

Before we meet the new Conor Mortimer, some tales about the old one. Way back in 1999 he was absent for Mayo's run to an All Ireland minor final after a falling out with manager JP Kane. When his county lost that decider he said he was sure they'd have won it if he was there. Soon after he took that same arrogance into the senior squad and in his debut season of 2002 announced to the dressing room he'd be the first man since John Egan to win an All Star in April. Since then, the joker has been ever-present in the pack.

He asked a mouthy goalkeeper his name on the basis he'd like to know who he's talking to when he stitched three goals past him. He told a lippy corner-back he was taking apart that perhaps soccer was his game. In DCU he gave the finger to some UCC fans. When taken off in a qualifier against Limerick he pulled of his jersey and flung it into the crowd. After Mayo were dumped out of the 2008 championship he was asked by the Mayo News what he'd say to people who think the county will never win an All Ireland with him on board and responded, "They won't win one without me either." The list goes on.

But there's been some serious consequences too. In 2002 he was punched from behind when heading to the toilets in a Castlebar pub and before you ask, he doesn't drink. Earlier in the day he missed a simple and crucial free against Galway, a roar went up in the crowd that if Lee Harvey Oswald had been from Mayo then John F Kennedy would still be alive and on that evening's Sunday Game, analysis turned to a ball boy who kicked a free from the same spot when the game was over. In 2005 he was involved in an altercation in Supermac's in Eyre Square after the Connacht final. A year later his car was keyed after the same fixture.

"What can you do? I don't think I was ever doing anything overzealous and still don't. You wear white boots and someone keys your car. I don't get that. But anything out of your control, don't worry about it. When I was younger you'd sometimes wonder what's the point but I'd never let someone's actions determine whether I go somewhere or do something. Playing football is a part of my life and I could never look at it in a negative way. Even if it's all gone way too serious now.

"So because of that, the white boots, all that kind of thing, I'm finished with it. I'm tired of what comes with it and what you have to put up with. It's not hard to settle into this new way either. All you have to do is put all your energy into being the best footballer you can be and not doing silly things that gets the entire country talking. We have a manager in John O'Mahony who has me working harder and being a better player."

But Mortimer has always been a hard worker despite the image he projects. Before the 2004 All Ireland final, his primary principal PJ Dooley recalled how he would solo his way to school when others got lifts. His late grandfather George told a story of how he left Conor off by himself at a new pitch in Headford at 10am one Saturday and didn't pick him up until half-five. Former Mayo player Ray Connolly went one better. When driving through Shrule on the worst day you could imagine he saw a lonely figure making his way through the sleet with a ball in hand. You can guess who it was.

"That's personal work, that's different," says Mortimer now. "Hard work on a team is continuously tackling, making runs, working hard. It's not all about scoring points but there were a number of years when I thought all I had to do was score. You can go out and kick scores on your own any day. But you can't tackle on your own, you need to be part of a team to learn that. And under John O'Mahony I've been learning that."

You get the feeling O'Mahony has played a large part in changing the Mortimer you either loved or hated. Before the 2004 All Ireland semi-final, Joe Kernan was staying in the Mayo team hotel and remembers how he found it odd and worrying that Mortimer was wearing different gear to the rest of the squad. A couple of seasons later when O'Mahony took charge he called Mortimer back into the dressing room and told him to change into the shorts everyone else was wearing for a meagre training night in December.

"I guess I've started to look at it from the point of view of leadership," Mortimer continues. "You don't sense that responsibility coming onto your shoulders but one day the older players are gone and it's there and you have to deal with it. Now I'm ready to step up. As well as that when you have opportunities you have to take them and there's a point where you realise that. Sometimes you'd just cruise through games and seasons but I'm realising now time is short."

His brother Kenneth famously remarked how, after finishing up without an All Ireland to his name, all the Connacht medals and All Stars meant nothing. Conor admits he can finally see where his sibling is coming from. It's why during his four-and-a-half months in Thailand, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa over the turn of the year he was running three times a week and hitting the gym twice, all of which left him in fine shape and saw him leave the bench to hit four crucial points against Kerry last weekend.

"It was nice to get back into the swing of things and to have people talking about you for the right reasons. Over the years I guess people are entitled to their opinion but my reasons to do things are not for people's knowledge. And I don't particularly regret anything I did or said. Where am I in life, if I started worrying about all the things that got people's attention then I'd be a nervous wreck. So I just get on. But it's not about me or how I changed. You have to understand that. It's about Mayo and I want to be part of that cog one way or another."

He's getting ready to leave and unlike our last parting there's no wink, no smart words or no cheeky grin. You tell him he's changed and you're not sure how people will react to the new and quieter Conor Mortimer. But he doesn't care. He just wants it to make him a better footballer across the years he has left at the top.

Sunday Tribune 29/3/2010

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on March 30, 2010, 02:54:27 PM
@moysider
Did you actually read my post befoe your critique
The ? Marks are the places up for grabs. And i did have dillion at 11. But i thou in an effort to accomdate mcgarr parsons and ose major he may move seamus to 11 like the first few league games.
As for keane not makin the u21 that is some whzt of a distortion he was picked for both games but due to a family funeral didnt play against leitrm ans was the defacto full back against Ros. He is worth a shot and IF you are godd enough you are old enough and cafferkey looks too young

Yeah I did read it. And like I had I was acknowledging your selection of Dillon at 11. But if ? are positions up for grabs how is it that no 5 is filled. Surely on form Vaughan is the man in possession of this jersey and must be favoured to keep it with Barrett to challenge for it. As for midfield, they re not up for grabs. In fact they re 2 of the more predictable shirts to fill. 2 from 3 with McG and Par most likely and O Sé in hf line. All 3 certainties to start if fit. Full back is a derelict position because nobody in the panel capable of filling the position with the assuredness we expect.
The Cork game/games will tell us more and Johnno too. While I would nt fear Cork I would hope they put the bar up another bit for us. For one thing it ll be interesting to see how we handle the big mobile men and how in particular Howley deals with Pierce O Neill if that clash happens. Conroy should have been put on Sheridan in Meath game last year. Rather than worrying about who will be starting where I d be still more concerned about how slow management are to deal with crisis on the field. This was evident again the last day but the players managed to find a way on their own.

rosnarun

if fit 5 will be Gardiner for the championship i dont think there is much point in debating that. he is central to the way mayo play with his lightning quick breaks from the half back line. Vaughn is pressing him hard but peader is one of the stone cold certainties .
If you say McG and Parspmd ar definite for midfied that involves moving Dillion frim CHF if you want to accommodate S oSé .
Personally i would prefer if JOM nailed his colours to the mast and picked 2 from 3 and on balance id say head pick Oé and Mcgarrity, don't for get how peripheral a figure parsons was last summer. hes had a very good league and brought himself right back fair play but. JOM is a stubborn man  and I feel Parsons couls be Joining CMort on the bench against his fellow countymen(are you reading  sligonian :})
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2010, 08:32:40 PM
Joker's Mild

Conor Mortimer has calmed down and is ready to stand up for his county, writes Ewan MacKenna

The west is awake: realising that time is short in his career, Conor Mortimer is now hoping people will be talking about him for the right reasons rather than for the likes of his Michael Jackson tribute in last year's Connacht final

It's getting late and the phone has stayed far too silent for far too long. Conor Mortimer should have called by now but it's been 24 hours and he hasn't gotten back to you with a time or location to meet. Suddenly, well past nightfall and the limits of your hopefulness, the phone goes off. It's a message. "Sorry sham, only back. Been away all day and gym this evening, just got my other phone now. Mort here." You can only laugh because there on the screen is the essence of the man. Just when you think he's pushed you too far, he turns himself back into the loveable rogue.

We meet the next day as he takes a break from job hunting. It hasn't gone well for him but you're still looking forward to the next few hours and his company because Conor Mortimer is always outspoken, never gives a damn and it's been a long time since you've been referred to as sham. In short, he's a rarity in a sport becoming ever more grey in terms of personalities. In fact the last time you crossed paths before the 2006 All Ireland final he finished the interview by saying, "If you ever need anything, just give the Mort a call" while throwing in a wink and a twist of the head for good measure.

In his wild and wacky world, life and football appear to be just two different games to be played and with that mantra in mind you take him back to an incident last April where he and Meath defender Kevin Reilly were hospitalised after being attacked in Ballymun. You ask what exactly happened, throwing in rumours that it kicked off over remarks he made to a girl in pyjamas?

"No comment," he snaps.

But everyone else has their opinion, shouldn't you just say what really happened?

"It's not for the public. It's a private issue. There's nothing to be said on it out of respect for the individuals involved. There was no talk then and there'll be none now. Nobody knows."

You know. You were there.

"Maybe I was there. Maybe I wasn't there."

So it was misreported?

"Don't know. People can think what they want. No comment."

Well on a less serious note then, tell us about Michael Jackson, you say, referring to his RIP t-shirt which he unveiled after scoring a goal in last year's Connacht final.

"I don't see the point in giving it my time. It was just a gag that wasn't an issue for anyone in our squad. People always make big things out of small things when it comes to me. I haven't spoken about it for that reason so no comment chief, and as they say, next question please.

Okay. Next question then. What happened to Conor Mortimer?

"I just realised it's time to put the head down. I wasn't happy with the way last year was from a personal point of view. I'm not 21 years of age anymore. I'll be 28 in May. The hassle I've had over the years and jibes and everything else, you get tired of it. I am a serious footballer and want to be seen as a serious footballer."

Before we meet the new Conor Mortimer, some tales about the old one. Way back in 1999 he was absent for Mayo's run to an All Ireland minor final after a falling out with manager JP Kane. When his county lost that decider he said he was sure they'd have won it if he was there. Soon after he took that same arrogance into the senior squad and in his debut season of 2002 announced to the dressing room he'd be the first man since John Egan to win an All Star in April. Since then, the joker has been ever-present in the pack.

He asked a mouthy goalkeeper his name on the basis he'd like to know who he's talking to when he stitched three goals past him. He told a lippy corner-back he was taking apart that perhaps soccer was his game. In DCU he gave the finger to some UCC fans. When taken off in a qualifier against Limerick he pulled of his jersey and flung it into the crowd. After Mayo were dumped out of the 2008 championship he was asked by the Mayo News what he'd say to people who think the county will never win an All Ireland with him on board and responded, "They won't win one without me either." The list goes on.

But there's been some serious consequences too. In 2002 he was punched from behind when heading to the toilets in a Castlebar pub and before you ask, he doesn't drink. Earlier in the day he missed a simple and crucial free against Galway, a roar went up in the crowd that if Lee Harvey Oswald had been from Mayo then John F Kennedy would still be alive and on that evening's Sunday Game, analysis turned to a ball boy who kicked a free from the same spot when the game was over. In 2005 he was involved in an altercation in Supermac's in Eyre Square after the Connacht final. A year later his car was keyed after the same fixture.

"What can you do? I don't think I was ever doing anything overzealous and still don't. You wear white boots and someone keys your car. I don't get that. But anything out of your control, don't worry about it. When I was younger you'd sometimes wonder what's the point but I'd never let someone's actions determine whether I go somewhere or do something. Playing football is a part of my life and I could never look at it in a negative way. Even if it's all gone way too serious now.

"So because of that, the white boots, all that kind of thing, I'm finished with it. I'm tired of what comes with it and what you have to put up with. It's not hard to settle into this new way either. All you have to do is put all your energy into being the best footballer you can be and not doing silly things that gets the entire country talking. We have a manager in John O'Mahony who has me working harder and being a better player."

But Mortimer has always been a hard worker despite the image he projects. Before the 2004 All Ireland final, his primary principal PJ Dooley recalled how he would solo his way to school when others got lifts. His late grandfather George told a story of how he left Conor off by himself at a new pitch in Headford at 10am one Saturday and didn't pick him up until half-five. Former Mayo player Ray Connolly went one better. When driving through Shrule on the worst day you could imagine he saw a lonely figure making his way through the sleet with a ball in hand. You can guess who it was.

"That's personal work, that's different," says Mortimer now. "Hard work on a team is continuously tackling, making runs, working hard. It's not all about scoring points but there were a number of years when I thought all I had to do was score. You can go out and kick scores on your own any day. But you can't tackle on your own, you need to be part of a team to learn that. And under John O'Mahony I've been learning that."

You get the feeling O'Mahony has played a large part in changing the Mortimer you either loved or hated. Before the 2004 All Ireland semi-final, Joe Kernan was staying in the Mayo team hotel and remembers how he found it odd and worrying that Mortimer was wearing different gear to the rest of the squad. A couple of seasons later when O'Mahony took charge he called Mortimer back into the dressing room and told him to change into the shorts everyone else was wearing for a meagre training night in December.

"I guess I've started to look at it from the point of view of leadership," Mortimer continues. "You don't sense that responsibility coming onto your shoulders but one day the older players are gone and it's there and you have to deal with it. Now I'm ready to step up. As well as that when you have opportunities you have to take them and there's a point where you realise that. Sometimes you'd just cruise through games and seasons but I'm realising now time is short."

His brother Kenneth famously remarked how, after finishing up without an All Ireland to his name, all the Connacht medals and All Stars meant nothing. Conor admits he can finally see where his sibling is coming from. It's why during his four-and-a-half months in Thailand, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa over the turn of the year he was running three times a week and hitting the gym twice, all of which left him in fine shape and saw him leave the bench to hit four crucial points against Kerry last weekend.

"It was nice to get back into the swing of things and to have people talking about you for the right reasons. Over the years I guess people are entitled to their opinion but my reasons to do things are not for people's knowledge. And I don't particularly regret anything I did or said. Where am I in life, if I started worrying about all the things that got people's attention then I'd be a nervous wreck. So I just get on. But it's not about me or how I changed. You have to understand that. It's about Mayo and I want to be part of that cog one way or another."

He's getting ready to leave and unlike our last parting there's no wink, no smart words or no cheeky grin. You tell him he's changed and you're not sure how people will react to the new and quieter Conor Mortimer. But he doesn't care. He just wants it to make him a better footballer across the years he has left at the top.

Sunday Tribune 29/3/2010

Read it in the paper on Sunday. Don't know why but I bought the Tribune for the first time in a long time because Mayo football was getting a bit of time.
I have no issue with Conor here or anything. None at all in fact and I thought he handled himself very well there. I would be disappointed with journalist's standards however if they cant come up with a better colour piece than Conor-Off-The-Wall, anytime when Mayo go on a bit of a run. A lot of those Mayo players have stories to tell and would be able to tell it but Conor seems to be the go-to- guy out of pure tabloid type motives.