Maigh Eo V Muineachán 28/3/2010

Started by Main Street, March 22, 2010, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: mannix on March 31, 2010, 03:02:36 PM
Still cannot understand how Mayo were so much fitter than monaghan for the last 20 minutes, they say that Monaghan are training hard and Mayo train once a week, likewise that Kerry are training hard. If they are training that hard would they not be fitter?
If I run 3 miles tuesday,wednesday and friday and my opponent runs 3 mile on wednesday only should I expect to be fitter than him for a weekend race?
Andy Moran looked in some games of this league to be a champion sprinter, how can this be if other teams are training hard?
Lots of talk from players and media seem to conflict.And this peaking thing they talk about, does a team really be that much fitter than the other during the summer?
I heard JOM on the radio on Monday evening saying that...  because of the schedule with games every weekend he had eased off with training so that the players would not be tired, but that he would be increasing the training again soon in preparation for the championship

Foreverhopeful

ya it's a tough one to figure out. Are we leaving ourseves in better shape by easing up on the training now when the pitches are heavy and having more in the tank for matches at the weekend? We're winning them so it's doing the confidence for the Summer no harm whatsoever.
Then again i'm hearing that Kerry were playing full blown training matches day or two before our game. Are they putting in the better base for the Summer?
It you ask me a constant input of training is required. Last year we were hearing that this was the fittest mayo team ever. I'd prefer if they kept the ball in the training as much as possible. Full A v B games in training. No better training IMO. Let the lads tear into each other!

mannix

so how are they fitter than monaghan and kerry and the dubs whom they ran ragged only to kick  away the levelling score 18 times? Something is not adding up. Being fresh and being fit are two different things I think, Training less does not make you fitter.

western exile

Quote from: mannix on March 31, 2010, 03:43:07 PM
so how are they fitter than monaghan and kerry and the dubs whom they ran ragged only to kick  away the levelling score 18 times? Something is not adding up. Being fresh and being fit are two different things I think, Training less does not make you fitter.
No. But training too much does make you more tired.

Foreverhopeful

ya was just about say that maybe we're not fitter. Maybe the other teams are more tired with all the intense training they are doing.
Hunger and a new found confidence can come into it in Mayo's case.

moysider

Who is in charge of the fitness programme this year?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Foreverhopeful

It seems JOM is more clued in this year to the football.

It's obvious he sat down with the Mort before he went off with Dillon. It seems he has got through to him. While he only got one score the last day there seemed to be signs of a new attitude with Conor.

Also he has players like Varley and Seamie O'Shea, who have been impressive with UL in the colleges football for a number of years, playing when it seemed he was afraid to give them chances last year.

He took out Cafferkey when we were due to play Donaghy instead putting in Conroy - smart call.

He isn't playing Pat Harte from the start. Harte is/was away working and obviously not getting in as much training as the others. Last year he played most games in the league and his form was poor for the year. This year he will realise he has to work hard to get into the team i.e. his comfort zone is gone. Indeed a lof of players have lost that - McGarrity is no longer going to walk into the team.

He is developing a good bench: Barrett, Freeman & Douglas are obvious examples of players who can make a difference.

moysider

I make it we have 23 championship ready players in the panel. A pity that A Higgins was jettisoned while he had so much to offer and it looks like Campbell will never get a look in again as long as this management is in place.

Foreverhopeful

Goalkeepers: David Clarke, Kenneth O'Malley.

Defenders: Donal Vaughan, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins, Lee Keegan, Alan Feeney, Shane Nally, Kieran Conroy, Liam O'Malley, Chris Barrett, Peadar Gardiner, Trevor Howley, Kevin McLoughlin, Tom Cunnife

Midfielders: Tom Parsons, Seamus O'Shea, Ronan McGarrity, Barry Kelly.

Forwards: Andy Moran, Trevor Mortimer, Mark Ronaldson, Aiden O'Shea, Enda Varley, Neil Douglas, Mikie Sweeney, Alan Freeman, Ger McDonagh, Pat Harte, Barry Moran, Aidan Kilcoyne  Alan Dillon,Conor Mortimer.

Lads in Bold = highly unlikely to see championship time
Lads in Italic = very good prospects but JOM may not be giving them game time in the Summer

I make that 25. I'm guessing ur not counting Tom Cuniffe as an option. Who else?

rosnarun

lads i normally the mindless optimist on the board but i get a real sense people are beginnig to get carried away, Its not that long since our last league final and that didnt exactly augur well for the summer.
Lets just enjoy this league campaign for what it is . the secondary national competition . well worth winning for itsself but a patchy guide to the Championship. Sure kerry do well when they win the league My guess thats not much more than coincidence , look at last year you could hardly day they carried their form through with the display ahainst sligo and others. in fact their deason did not get going untill 15 mins to go versus antrim.

Mayo players are fitter than other at the moment mainly because of the type of player on the panel. Small quick and light  the exact reason a lot of posters are giving out about them so much.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on April 01, 2010, 02:11:20 AM
lads i normally the mindless optimist on the board but i get a real sense people are beginnig to get carried away, Its not that long since our last league final and that didnt exactly augur well for the summer.
Lets just enjoy this league campaign for what it is . the secondary national competition . well worth winning for itsself but a patchy guide to the Championship. Sure kerry do well when they win the league My guess thats not much more than coincidence , look at last year you could hardly day they carried their form through with the display ahainst sligo and others. in fact their deason did not get going untill 15 mins to go versus antrim.

Mayo players are fitter than other at the moment mainly because of the type of player on the panel. Small quick and light  the exact reason a lot of posters are giving out about them so much.
This always seems to happen any time Mayo win even two in a row of any sort. Still, a good league run is encouraging and beats getting stuffed at every turn. League form is but a patchy guide to the Championships alright but it does give managers an ideal opportunity to experiment and fine tune their championships lineups. Given the short run in to the main competition, the longer you stay in, the better prepared you should be.
That may be all the league is good for anymore as the endless fostering about with the rules is devaluing the competition. The business of asking a ref to have a second look at some incidents if a TV company happened to have a camera at the grounds for some games but not for all is bad enough but now both John O'Mahony and Mickey Harte say they had no prior warning that league placings could be decided on previous head to head meetings.

You can't say that knowing this might have changed the Mayo v Dublin result but likewise you can't say for certain that it couldn't either.
BTW: Does the video replay stuff carry over to the Championships?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on April 01, 2010, 02:11:20 AM
lads i normally the mindless optimist on the board but i get a real sense people are beginnig to get carried away

Not like that to happen in Mayo. ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on March 31, 2010, 10:38:59 PM
It seems JOM is more clued in this year to the football.

Sure we are going to win Sam this year, sure there will be an election  ;) and all that weight lost is for the pictures that will be hanging on every Mayo wall for the next 60 years  :D

On a serious note, good debate lads, I'll just be happy to read for a while.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Foreverhopeful

Young Donal Vaughan seems like a clued in youngster. Impressed with his defence of Aidan O'Shea and now saying he'd play anywhere on the team to get a jersey.