Good Priests, what have they done for you.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 19, 2010, 01:10:18 AM
Thanks for proving my point lrtf, by being yourself (the childish and immature moron that you are) and by not respecting my wishes.  That post, much like most of your posts and thread starters just proves you are an utter imbecile.  Does not surprise me or many others in the slightest though

You are an immature moron because you can't understand that not everyone sees things in the same way as you do.  God help any children you have!

Finally, you show some consideration in this debate for children. Check your previous posts, the first time you have mentioned children in all this  :o

Ulick

Thanks for proving my point lrtf, by being yourself (the childish and immature moron that you are) and by not respecting my wishes.  That post, much like most of your posts and thread starters just proves you are an utter imbecile.  Does not surprise me or many others in the slightest though

You are an immature moron because you can't understand that not everyone sees things in the same way as you do.  God help any children you have!

f**k me, can you not have a difference of opinion with someone without launching into personal insults? I suppose we should be grateful you are hanging around this thread instead of running off in a huff again...

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Ulick on March 19, 2010, 01:42:18 AM

f**k me, can you not have a difference of opinion with someone without launching into personal insults? I suppose we should be grateful you are hanging around this thread instead of running off in a huff again...

Thanh you Ulick... I made an reasoned arguement on the previous page and was met with a torrent of insults rather than a counter debate. Anyway, I met fire with fire... am well able for that clown.

Nally Stand

Ardmhaca, your language above isn't very becoming of a man who, as you mentioned earlier, considered joining the Priesthood.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Main Street

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 19, 2010, 12:54:11 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2010, 12:48:21 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 19, 2010, 12:23:32 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 18, 2010, 11:59:00 PM
For me, it's both in that I see the Church as all the people involved in it be they religious or laity.  Faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church

No way is it a given... Brendan Symth was a very active member of the church and an evil monster at the same time as was Sean Fortune and many others... You couldn't have faith in God and do those things...

Disconnected thinking there Fox.
Smyth and Fortune have nothing to do with God and faith.  Both of them are not examples of a faith in God regardless of their church activity. They also abused and manipulated the Church and those who tried (however fruitlessly) to bring them to task. They are examples of a gross degradation. Their degradation has nothing to do with anotherĀ“s faith.

Aye but the point I'm making is he is incorrect to assume 'faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church'... lots of active members priests and lay people were scandalised so obviously it wasn't a given in their cases. Certainly many who are active are people of faith but it ain't always a given...   
As I read it, you were trying to be a smart alec.
You separated that short sentence out of a context, a context of a slightly longer reply to a sensitive question of faith  and stepped around what one could reasonably interpret as his intended expression about the Church and his faith, as he sees it.
If he had used the adjective 'sincere' to describe church activity, could you accept what he wrote without indulging in an extreme example to provide an exception to his expression of faith?

ardmhachaabu

He has been hounding me about Brady in every thread that he can bring it up in since I said I wasn't prepared to re-hash things constantly.  He got what was coming to him and nothing more
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 19, 2010, 09:49:09 AM

He has been hounding me about Brady in every thread that he can bring it up in since I said I wasn't prepared to re-hash things constantly.  He got what was coming to him and nothing more

Got what was coming to me?!  :P is that the best you can do MB?

lynchbhoy

irrespective of what peoples opinions are on the catholic church and the excuse this gives some to take a pop, it remains that the Priests and catholic church in Ireland were fantastic to the people from famine times and before, for educating the people from hedge schools - and to a large extent are responsible for the upwards trend in educational levels in our society today.
Saviours of the poor and hungry, theneedy and inconsolable.
Individuals have excelled themselves , some famously , most only known to individual parishes.

The priests that helped foster sports esp football in the parishes I am associated with (Fr McNally pk in Feeney Co Derry) , to the parish priest that ensured that all local schools had a football and also organised food rations from the EU 'mountain'/surplus and personally distributed them throughout all the houses in the parish - 'there ya go Mrs X, youve a few hardy young lads who would like this good round steak'.

a few bad bustarts and the ineptitude of the hierarchy has allowed people to tar all with one brush.
Thats why I'd get rid of Brady , as his continuation will always allow people to moan about the Catholic church.
We need a new beginning and to properly reflect on the 95% of good and fantastic priests that this country was helped built by.

saffron sam2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2010, 10:54:38 AM
irrespective of what peoples opinions are on the catholic church and the excuse this gives some to take a pop, it remains that the Priests and catholic church in Ireland were fantastic to the people from famine times and before, for educating the people from hedge schools - and to a large extent are responsible for the upwards trend in educational levels in our society today.
Individuals have excelled themselves , some famously , most only known to individual parishes.

The priests that helped foster sports esp football in the parishes I am associated with (Fr McNally pk in Feeney Co Derry) , to the parish priest that ensured that all local schools had a football and also organised food rations from the EU 'mountain'/surplus and personally distributed them throughout all the houses in the parish - 'there ya go Mrs X, youve a few hardy young lads who would like this good round steak'.

a few bad bustarts and the ineptitude of the hierarchy has allowed people to tar all with one brush.
Thats why I'd get rid of Brady , as his continuation will always allow people to moan about the Catholic church.
We need a new beginning and to properly reflect on the 95% of good and fantastic priests that this country was helped built by.

Aye dead on. The famine you say.

To quote the Bull McCabe

"Go on father, go on. Lock the gates to God's house. Sure they were locked at the time of the Famine too. No priest died the time of the Famine: only poor people like us. "
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

magpie seanie

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2010, 10:54:38 AM

Well said.

Its also worth bearing in mind that perhaps not every allegation made is in fact true.

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 19, 2010, 11:36:06 AM

Its also worth bearing in mind that perhaps not every allegation made is in fact true.

very true, but paying people off and not clearing your name in a court of law puts a mirky cloud over your actions.

Priests certainly aren't all bad, but the good ones need to start reclaiming the good deeds of the church by getting rid of the bad apples.
It's the rules within this organisation which seems to allow these child abusers to operate I take umbridge with.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 19, 2010, 11:21:49 AM
Aye dead on. The famine you say.

To quote the Bull McCabe

"Go on father, go on. Lock the gates to God's house. Sure they were locked at the time of the Famine too. No priest died the time of the Famine: only poor people like us. "
ahh the bull mccabe - as ficticious as some of these 'scandal' stories !
:D

Main Street

lynchbhoy

Quote from: johnneycool on March 19, 2010, 11:56:05 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 19, 2010, 11:36:06 AM
very true, but paying people off and not clearing your name in a court of law puts a mirky cloud over your actions.

Priests certainly aren't all bad, but the good ones need to start reclaiming the good deeds of the church by getting rid of the bad apples.
It's the rules within this organisation which seems to allow these child abusers to operate I take umbridge with.
the courts and the judicial system and the 'system' in general have proven that truth and proper justice are not always forthcoming in 'legal cases'.

its always the bad things that get more press.
One corrupt GAA treasurer and the entire GAA are looked at as embezzelers !

the 'Good' Priests will continue to do their 'job'. Thats what they are supposed to do. Maybe they should take on a PR guru. But thats not whats needed. Common sense is - and ordinary people realising that the noise is coming from those with an agenda.
The sex offenders etc need to be jailed/shot and the inept kicked out of the Irish catholic church.

Hardy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2010, 12:19:29 PM
But thats not whats needed. Common sense is - and ordinary people realising that the noise is coming from those with an agenda.

You're not a bishop by any chance? I think the penny is finally dropping with most of them, but not with all their followers, it seems.

I think the "agenda" of most of those "making noise" is a hell of a lot more noble than that of those who continue to deny, prevaricate, squirm and holy-joe their way out of the truth.