Good Priests, what have they done for you.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2010, 10:00:22 PM
I would say that all clergy men at parish priest level and above knew what was going on. They would have got together often enough to speak about those unspeakable things.

My parents say that she will never stop going to chapel. They pray to God, not to the priest.

Just spoke to me mother about this yesterday. They have "a great wee priest" but I guess yesterday her and bunch of the other daily mass goers spoke to him at length about how they felt after all this. I could tell she is pretty gutted about it all to be honest and I felt sorry for her because her faith means a great deal. She's downright ashamed of the church right now and is continuing to go to mass because of her faith and "personal connection to god". But lord she had some venom in her words yesterday.

Any man who stood by and let this happen, for whatever reasons, be it fear of their own or desire for promotion or protocol (enjoyed that explanation yesterday) should hang their head in shame at the pain endured by little children because of their lack of action.

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2010, 10:24:24 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2010, 10:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2010, 10:15:21 PM
I would say that all clergy men at parish priest level and above knew what was going on. They would have got together often enough to speak about those unspeakable things.

My parents say that she will never stop going to chapel. They pray to God, not to the priest.
Which can be done from the comfort of their own home should they choose.

But they wont do that. And they will continue to throw in the envelopes too. Its called faith.
The hush money has to come from somewhere.

All they gotta do is sell another Vatican painting or statue
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Puckoon on March 18, 2010, 10:26:54 PM

Just spoke to me mother about this yesterday. They have "a great wee priest" but I guess yesterday her and bunch of the other daily mass goers spoke to him at length about how they felt after all this. I could tell she is pretty gutted about it all to be honest and I felt sorry for her because her faith means a great deal. She's downright ashamed of the church right now and is continuing to go to mass because of her faith and "personal connection to god". But lord she had some venom in her words yesterday.

Any man who stood by and let this happen, for whatever reasons, be it fear of their own or desire for promotion or protocol (enjoyed that explanation yesterday) should hang their head in shame at the pain endured by little children because of their lack of action.
puck, my mother is the person in my life who gave me faith.  She has been shaken to the core literally over the issue of priests as paedophiles, she is questioning everything for really the first time in her life as a result of the recent revelations.  She actually asked me previous to this why I can still go to Mass knowing what has been happening within the Irish Church.  I answered her in the only way I knew how and said that it's faith that brings us through traumatic times such as this.  I feel I am right in that regard, it just surprised me that the person who brought me to the point where I am at today is so greatly troubled by what has been highlighted by the media that she was asking me for advice.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2010, 11:46:20 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 18, 2010, 11:42:15 PM

puck, my mother is the person in my life who gave me faith.  She has been shaken to the core literally over the issue of priests as paedophiles, she is questioning everything for really the first time in her life as a result of the recent revelations.  She actually asked me previous to this why I can still go to Mass knowing what has been happening within the Irish Church.  I answered her in the only way I knew how and said that it's faith that brings us through traumatic times such as this.  I feel I am right in that regard, it just surprised me that the person who brought me to the point where I am at today is so greatly troubled by what has been highlighted by the media that she was asking me for advice.
Faith in whom? God or the church itself?
For me, it's both in that I see the Church as all the people involved in it be they religious or laity.  Faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 18, 2010, 11:59:00 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2010, 11:46:20 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 18, 2010, 11:42:15 PM

Faith in whom? God or the church itself?
For me, it's both in that I see the Church as all the people involved in it be they religious or laity.  Faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church

No way is it a given... Brendan Symth was a very active member of the church and an evil monster at the same time as was Sean Fortune and many others... You couldn't have faith in God and do those things...

ardmhachaabu

As usual lrtf misses the point in favour of yet another nonsensical, sensationalist post

longrunsthefox

Pangurban

I think Ardmhacaabu has the right sense of the whole sorry situation, there is more good than evil in the Church, and the good will eventually triumph

longrunsthefox

When he is under pressure in a debate Armagh abu attacks the person rather than continue on the subject. My last comment disputing him saying, "Faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church" was just met with an attack on me  ::)  That ain't discussion.   

Main Street

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 19, 2010, 12:23:32 AM

No way is it a given... Brendan Symth was a very active member of the church and an evil monster at the same time as was Sean Fortune and many others... You couldn't have faith in God and do those things...

Disconnected thinking there Fox.
Smyth and Fortune have nothing to do with God and faith.  Both of them are not examples of a faith in God regardless of their church activity. They also abused and manipulated the Church and those who tried (however fruitlessly) to bring them to task. They are examples of a gross degradation. Their degradation has nothing to do with another´s faith.

ardmhachaabu

Boo-hoo, someone disagrees with ltrf and they are accused of not engaging in discussion, never mind debate.  Who set him up as moral referee of this forum anyway?  Himself?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2010, 12:48:21 AM

Smyth and Fortune have nothing to do with God and faith.  Both of them are not examples of a faith in God regardless of their church activity. They also abused and manipulated the Church and those who tried (however fruitlessly) to bring them to task. They are examples of a gross degradation. Their degradation has nothing to do with another´s faith.
100% correct MS, may I say you are usually on the button too?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2010, 12:48:21 AM

Aye but the point I'm making is he is incorrect to assume 'faith in God is a given if you are an active member of the Church'... lots of active members priests and lay people were scandalised so obviously it wasn't a given in their cases. Certainly many who are active are people of faith but it ain't always a given...     

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 19, 2010, 12:50:44 AM
Boo-hoo, someone disagrees with ltrf and they are accused of not engaging in discussion, never mind debate.  Who set him up as moral referee of this forum anyway?  Himself?

did Sean Brady set you up as his spokesman on this board... try arguing the £45,000 was 'protocol' mammy's boy   :-*

ardmhachaabu

Thanks for proving my point lrtf, by being yourself (the childish and immature moron that you are) and by not respecting my wishes.  That post, much like most of your posts and thread starters just proves you are an utter imbecile.  Does not surprise me or many others in the slightest though

You are an immature moron because you can't understand that not everyone sees things in the same way as you do.  God help any children you have!