Did Brady covered up child abuse?

Started by longrunsthefox, March 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoud Sean Brady be charged and put before the courts?

Yes-he should be charged
69 (68.3%)
No- he should not
32 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

The Iceman

Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:17:04 PM
Each to their own, live and let live, be a good person and follow God as you see fit - and the devil won.

Do you seriously believe this to be an evil philosophy?

By the way, this is offensive and redolent of the arrogant rebuttals of criticism that we hear regularly from the headquarters of the conspiracy itself:
You can ... falsely cry for the victims but the stances of a lot of people are quite evident.....

I think it is a fair word to use hardy when the tears for the victims are coupled with accusations about infallibility, the existence of limbo, eating meat on Good Friday and the position of Mary Magdalene. 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Main Street

2 years ago the Vatican's chief exorcist Father Amorth

announced that the Pope was setting up exorcist squads to wage war on Satan. Every bishop was to have a squad in their diocese. As they say, it sounded like a plan.
The Vatican denied the plan existed and Amorth was thwarted.

Now he claims Satan is merrily at work inside the Vatican

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7056689.ece

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:17:04 PM
Each to their own, live and let live, be a good person and follow God as you see fit - and the devil won.

Do you seriously believe this to be an evil philosophy?

By the way, this is offensive and redolent of the arrogant rebuttals of criticism that we hear regularly from the headquarters of the conspiracy itself:
You can ... falsely cry for the victims but the stances of a lot of people are quite evident.....

I think it is a fair word to use hardy when the tears for the victims are coupled with accusations about infallibility, the existence of limbo, eating meat on Good Friday and the position of Mary Magdalene.

No where on this thread did any of the above come up so stop talking out of your hole.

orangeman

Archbishop Brady is not going anywhere :

Brady to stay on as Archbishop 

Cardinal Sean Brady revealed he has asked Pope Benedict's representatives to 'consider' a visit to Armagh
Cardinal Brady has said he will stay on as the Archbishop of Armagh.

He had been facing increasing pressure to resign after he participated in an investigation into clerical abuse.

It was revealed in March that the Cardinal was present when children signed vows of silence over allegations against a paedophile priest in 1975.

Dr Brady also revealed he has asked a Vatican inspection of child protection procedures to include a visit to the Armagh diocese.

His comments follow the publication of the Annual Report of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland.

It found that nearly 200 new allegations of abuse have been reported to the Catholic Church's child protection watchdog since April 2009.

In a statement, Cardinal Brady said he was committed with all his "human weaknesses to walk this journey of renewal and to discern God's will for the Church at this time".

Dr Brady said the impact on abuse survivors of the "drip-by-drip revelation of past failings has to be addressed".

The Archbishop revealed he had held both public and private meetings with survivors of abuse.

"I also listened to people from the Diocese, in Parishes and in Diocesan groups."

Cardinal Brady said he was committed to building on the substantial progress made in child safeguarding in recent years and to achieve the objectives set out by Pope Benedict XVI in his pastoral letter to Irish Catholics.

He has also asked Pope Benedict for an additional bishop in the diocese.

Cardinal Brady said that he would be appointing a Director of Child Safeguarding for the diocese who would handle all future allegations of child abuse and report to civil authorities in both jurisdictions.

Sharing 'soft information'

"In the future, it will be this statutory authority and not the Church (or any other organisation which works with children in Northern Ireland) that will decide who is permitted to work with children," he said.

" As part of our registration with this new Independent Safeguarding Authority, Bishops in Northern Ireland will give a commitment to sharing 'soft information' held or known about any person working in a Church context, as well as all allegations of abuse, with the new Authority."

The head of Ireland's Catholics apologised in March for his role in mishandling the case of a serial child abuser.

As a priest in 1975 Cardinal Sean Brady was at meetings where children signed vows of silence over complaints against paedophile priest Fr Brendan Smyth.

The Catholic Church in Ireland released more details about why Cardinal Brady asked two victims, aged 10 and 14, to sign secrecy agreements.

The church said the boys were asked to sign oaths "to avoid potential collusion" in evidence-gathering for an internal church inquiry.

It added this this would ensure that the complaints could "withstand challenge."

The church statement did not explain why either Cardinal Brady or his superiors at the time did not share their information with the police. Fr Smyth went on to abuse more children in the following years.

mylestheslasher

I doubt anyone cares what Brady says anymore. He is totally discredited and all he is doing now is wrecking his beloved church

Lar Naparka

Dr Brady said the impact on abuse survivors of the "drip-by-drip revelation of past failings has to be addressed".

The Archbishop revealed he had held both public and private meetings with survivors of abuse.

The head of Ireland's Catholics apologised in March for his role in mishandling the case of a serial child abuser.

The devil, you might say, lies in the detail here.
Sean Brady and his supporters will be judged by their actions in the future and not by the archaic jargon that he and other Church spokespeople use. I think it's a welcome development that he has acknowledged the impact that the "drip-by-drip revelation of past failings has to be addressed" has had on the survivors of clerical child abuse.
He has also had meetings with some of those survivors and that is a step in the right direction also.
But it also has to be kept in mind that he and his colleagues fought a dogged rearguard action all the way in attempting to stop those revelations coming into the open. It will be interesting to watch future developments to find out what "addressed" is going to mean.
He has had meetings with abuse survivors alright but ASAIK, none of those who met with him came out afterwards and said that he or she was satisfied with the outcome of their meeting.
"Samantha" has said that all she wanted was a face to face meeting and to hear him say "Samantha, I am sorry" or words to that effect.
Until this woman, and others who endured abuse due to his inaction, say that his has acknowledged his human failings in his conduct, I'll regard his utterances as window dressing, pure and simple.
I hope his actions in time to come will match his words and that would be a welcome development. Only time will tell...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

orangeman

Talk about not living in the real world :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8689586.stm

" I was on pilgrimage to Lourdes yesterday and there were 800 people there from this diocese and not one said that they had no confidence in me, they said they wanted me to stay and continue this work "

ardmhachaabu

Why would Brady worry about what people outside of the Church say?  Should he not be more concerned with his own people and his own Church than those outside of it who have no love for it?

Why is this even making news headlines?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

muppet

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 19, 2010, 12:57:07 AM
Why would Brady worry about what people outside of the Church say?  Should he not be more concerned with his own people and his own Church than those outside of it who have no love for it?

So anyone who criticises is not a member of the Church?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 19, 2010, 12:57:07 AM

Were all those people, young and old on the Falls Road yesterday not church goers ?.

Eveyone who came out of 10am mass yesterday in Armagh cathedral yesterday were backing Archbishop Brady. No surprise there.

Everyone is entitled to their view.

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on May 18, 2010, 05:36:08 PM

"I was on pilgrimage to Lourdes yesterday and there were 800 people there from this diocese and one said that they had no confidence in me, they said they wanted me to stay and continue this work"

The correct quote is "not one said"

orangeman

Quote from: Main Street on May 19, 2010, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 18, 2010, 05:36:08 PM

"I was on pilgrimage to Lourdes yesterday and there were 800 people there from this diocese and one said that they had no confidence in me, they said they wanted me to stay and continue this work"

The correct quote is "not one said"

True. Sorry bout that.

orangeman

Maybe Cardinal Brady should have another period of reflection ?.

Majority of Irish adults say cardinal should quit, poll

Cardinal Sean Brady should resign his post, three-quarters of people surveyed claimed Three-quarters of adults in the Irish Republic believe Cardinal Sean Brady should resign because of the sex abuse scandals, a survey suggests.

Ulster and Connacht were most supportive of the Irish Primate with 67% saying he should resign.

The strongest opposition to the cardinal was found in Dublin where 83% felt he should quit the post.

The Irish Times /Ipsos, MRBI survey, taken over two days last week, polled 1,000 voters over 18 on the issue.

Of all those surveyed, 76% said the cardinal should resign, 15% said he should not, while 9% had no opinion.

Most hostile

In the rest of Leinster 75% of respondents said the cardinal should quit while the figure for Munster was 74%.

The survey found that the most hostile voters were in the skilled working-class C2 category, where 84% wanted the cardinal to go

The most supportive were farmers, followed by the best-off AB voters.

Those in the 25 to 34 age group were strongest in the view that the cardinal should go while the over-65s were most supportive.
However, the older age group still favoured resignation by a margin of two to one.

Amongst members of political parties, Fianna Fáil voters were most supportive of the cardinal while Sinn Fein voters were the most hostile.

The poll was taken on Tuesday and Wednesday in face-to-face interviews at 100 sampling points in the Republic's 43 electorial constituencies.

mylestheslasher

Indeed, it would appear the cardinal was very selective about who he consulted in his flock. Perhaps he honed in on over 60 year olf fine fail voters from Ulster and Connaught!

theskull1

He was on a trip to lourdes when he canvassed opinion I seem to recall myles (but can't be bothered checking)

As selective an audience as he could get and well he knew it..... the fraud

I can't get over the silence/inaction of those who consider themselves catholic. They want to sit in silience and "hope" that it all goes away rather than show their teeth. Sheep
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera