Did Brady covered up child abuse?

Started by longrunsthefox, March 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoud Sean Brady be charged and put before the courts?

Yes-he should be charged
69 (68.3%)
No- he should not
32 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Billys Boots

QuoteSome people will never be happy.

Yeah, some people will never be happy that they have been abused by people in their community that they thought they could trust. 

And some folk will never be happy that the 'moral guardians' in their community (and their leaders) don't have the morality to admit they were wrong and submit themselves to the law of the state in which they live.

And some folk will never be happy that our state continues to allow these people to effectively run our education system. 

What a country!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 14, 2010, 11:19:02 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on April 14, 2010, 10:15:12 PM
The church need to show some humility and not only apologise, but provide the police in each and every country they operate in with names and evidence of abusers.
Only then, can they move on.

The fact that "society" have to drag these moral gaurdians kicking and screaming to a point where they might say something that resembles a proper apology tells me that that apology would be meaningless. At the high levels they are totally corrupt and self serving

That simply highlights what I have been saying for the longest time.
Some people will never be happy.

.. and some people will remain in denial about the horrific damage these abusers and their hierarchy has done to so many people. ...'ain't it great the wind stopped blowing' they coo, while all around is carnage and destruction. 

The Iceman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:26:59 PM
The church need to show some humility and not only apologise, but provide the police in each and every country they operate in with names and evidence of abusers.

The fact that "society" have to drag these moral gaurdians kicking and screaming to a point where they might say something that resembles a proper apology tells me that that apology would be meaningless. At the high levels they are totally corrupt and self serving

.. and some people will remain in denial about the horrific damage these abusers and their hierarchy has done to so many people. ...'ain't it great the wind stopped blowing' they coo, while all around is carnage and destruction.

I am not in denial at all Fox, infact I have called for the apologies and the recompense that everyone else has.
My point is that there are a lot of people on here who are simply using this as an excuse to grind their axe.

No matter what becomes of this they still will have no time for the Church and will still find something to complain about it.

You can go off on another tangent if you want and falsely cry for the victims but the stances of a lot of people are quite evident.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longrunsthefox

I think you greatly underestimate the depth of hurt and anger perpetrated on this nation by the church for decades... and they were supposed to be our moral guardians. It runs very very deep and has caused many broken lives, suicides and alcoholism-drug addiction. If any other organisation had done the same, there would have been calls for it to be disbanded.

The Iceman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:41:33 PM
I think you greatly underestimate the depth of hurt and anger perpetrated on this nation by the church for decades... and they were supposed to be our moral guardians. It runs very very deep and has caused many broken lives, suicides and alcoholism-drug addiction. If any other organisation had done the same, there would have been calls for it to be disbanded.

Thats if you look at it as an organisation or business Fox.  Some people don't. I don't think God can be disbanded no matter how hard you try.

I certainly don't underestimate the hurt - I come from a wider family circle deeply affected by the abuse and being involved in Youth Ministry over the years I have had contact with a lot of the priests who have since been exposed.  Not an easy thing to come to terms with or reconcile but I won't jump ship.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:00:28 PM

Thats if you look at it as an organisation or business Fox.  Some people don't. I don't think God can be disbanded no matter how hard you try.
I certainly don't underestimate the hurt - I come from a wider family circle deeply affected by the abuse and being involved in Youth Ministry over the years I have had contact with a lot of the priests who have since been exposed.  Not an easy thing to come to terms with or reconcile but I won't jump ship.....

Yet again the assumption that to leave the catholic church means disbanding God, like they have the monopoly on God. I left the church years ago... so you assume I walked away from God. No... I walked away from the church... thank God  ;)

The Iceman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 04:07:15 PM

Yet again the assumption that to leave the catholic church means disbanding God, like they have the monopoly on God. I left the church years ago... so you assume I walked away from God. No... I walked away from the church... thank God  ;)

The difference in us is that I assume God meant what He said and I believe the specific instructions given to us in how to Worship Him and follow Him.  You assume He doesn't care.

I can't remember who said this but I once heard:

The Devil has tried 3 times to take the world.
The first time he tried to convince us that God didn't exist - but deep down people knew this wasn't true and it didn't work.
The second time the devil tried to convince us that he didn't exist - but with all the evil in the world people knew that wasn't true either.
The third time the devil convinced us that God doesn't care.  Each to their own, live and let live, be a good person and follow God as you see fit - and the devil won.

theskull1

I shiver to think of what the catholic institution would have to do to you or your young family members before you wouldn't be "happy" to move on with your faith unbroken.

My point still stands regardless of my position with the RC church. Hollow, forced apologies are worthless at this stage.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Billys Boots

QuoteMy point is that there are a lot of people on here who are simply using this as an excuse to grind their axe.

An excuse?  You're seriously deluded, or are choosing to be.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:17:04 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 04:07:15 PM

The difference in us is that I assume God meant what He said and I believe the specific instructions given to us in how to Worship Him and follow Him.  You assume He doesn't care.

I can't remember who said this but I once heard:
The first time he tried to convince us that God didn't exist - but deep down people knew this wasn't true and it didn't work.
The second time the devil tried to convince us that he didn't exist - but with all the evil in the world people knew that wasn't true either.
The third time the devil convinced us that God doesn't care.  Each to their own, live and let live, be a good person and follow God as you see fit - and the devil won.

You can't remember who said this but take it as truth?... Rowan Atkinson? Alex Ferguson? Shane McGowan?...       Jesus wept  :'(

Billys Boots

QuoteI can't remember who said this but I once heard:

No Foxie, it was Chris de Burgh.

AZOffaly

I thought it was some Country and Western song. Sounds like something Billy Bob and Buttf*cks would sing, inspired by the various zealot churches in the American South/Mid West.

The Iceman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 04:18:55 PM
You can't remember who said this but take it as truth?... Rowan Atkinson? Alex Ferguson? Shane McGowan?...       Jesus wept  :'(

Where did I say I accepted it as truth.  You're a serious man for putting words in peoples mouths.
I accept it as a fair assumption/analogy.

But go off on another tangent.................

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:28:54 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 04:18:55 PM

Where did I say I accepted it as truth.  You're a serious man for putting words in peoples mouths.
I accept it as a fair assumption/analogy.

But go off on another tangent.................

You didn't say you accept it as a fair assumption/analogy in that post. Anyway, it's a load of bollocks  ::) 

Hardy

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2010, 04:17:04 PM
Each to their own, live and let live, be a good person and follow God as you see fit - and the devil won.

Do you seriously believe this to be an evil philosophy?

By the way, this is offensive and redolent of the arrogant rebuttals of criticism that we hear regularly from the headquarters of the conspiracy itself:
You can ... falsely cry for the victims but the stances of a lot of people are quite evident.....