Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Snowing again, i managed to drive to Cairndhu Golf club last night for our Xmas dinner.  A blizzard all the way to Ballynure and it stopped coming into Larne. The roads were wild but i managed ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Can anyone advise what it's like around the Cookstown area, have to drive there in the morning
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

armaghniac

Temps of -10c to  -20C predicted for Tyrone tonight, wrap up your goolies lads. We could have a record! On the plus side a few days of that and you'll be able to head to Belfast over Lough Neagh!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gerry

Good to see that the snow and freezing weather does not stop people putting style before heat. Friday night lads walking around in t shirts  and last night girls in high heels and the shortest of dresses.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2010, 03:39:04 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on December 19, 2010, 03:31:23 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 18, 2010, 03:57:45 PM
Anyone know how the roads from Omagh to Dublin might be? Parents are driving to the airport to fly here for Christmas and I'm hoping they'll make it, there's no feckin word from them!

did the reverse of that yesterday Puck. The worst will be the start of the journey. Tyrone prob the worst hit. It clears a bit heading down towards Dublin. Course that was yesterday morning so might have changed now. But if they give themselves plenty of time they'll be fine.

Just started snowing in Dublin. Motorway should be fine though.

Where? No snow in Lucan
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: armaghniac on December 19, 2010, 05:08:19 PM
Temps of -10c to  -20C predicted for Tyrone tonight, wrap up your goolies lads. We could have a record! On the plus side a few days of that and you'll be able to head to Belfast over Lough Neagh!

In 1814 the temperature was, for several weeks consecutively, below zero, and Lough Neagh was frozen over from shore to shore. So thick was the ice, that Colonel Heyland, of Langford Lodge, rode from Crumlin Water-foot to Ram's Island, a distance of nearly a mile and three-fourths. The same adventurous sportsman had previously made the entire circuit of Lough Neagh on horseback, in an almost incredibly short time, thereby winning a large wager...
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

To the Editor of the Belfast Newsletter
Sir - We have just returned from a day's skating on Lough Neagh, and we consider it a pity that the lovers of the art of skating do not know that Lough Neagh is frozen over as far as the human eye can see, and if a party of skaters were to leave Belfast by the 9.45 train they would find within a mile of Antrim Castle the finest sheet of ice in the British Isles, with no snow whatever upon it.
My friend, Captain ------, and I went three miles into the lough, and the ice was perfect, and we believe the lough to be frozen over.
Hoping to see a large party on the ice on Wednesday, we remain, faithfully yours, TOURISTS
Antrim, January 24.

maggie

Went to lisburn today. The M1 was brutal. And yet still drivers continue to hair on and overtake.

Hurler on the Bitch

Its been skiffing over Belfast for the last few hours - c'mon! we need a day off work!

wdusln

-16.6 at 10pm in Castlederg

ONeill

Maiden1

I remember seeing a picture of a car being driven across Loughinisland Lough from the big freeze of 1963.  We'd need the freeze to last a bit longer before anyone would try that nowadays

In January 1963 the sea froze for 1 mile (1.6 km) out from shore at Herne Bay, Kent; BBC television news expressed a fear that the Strait of Dover would freeze across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962%E2%80%931963_in_the_United_Kingdom
There are no proofs, only opinions.

armaghniac

QuoteWe can do it!

All you Tyronies should head to Castlederg with heat pumps and drive her down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

wdusln

-17.7 at 2300

Bensars

Next record.     -19.1 in Sligo 1881