Sigerson 2007

Started by robertemmet, February 07, 2007, 11:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

Settle yourself, big lad.  Your original post was all in blue meaning that you were quoting other people, rather than making a point.  You want to say something rather than quote others then do so.  We can all make adjustments to our posts later, like you did.  Why did you do this?

The Truth

The whole post that was shaded in blue, the last paragraph was my post,because i had accidentally deleted the word "quote" my post went in along with the person i was quoting. Am a bit bemused why this has unsettled you so much......If you look at the post now thats what i said in the 1st place......I am actually asking myself why im explaining this to you...... ;)
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

Mourne Rover

The two crucial scores of the game, the equaliser at the end of normal time and the winning point in the second period of extra time, were both from Down players who many people thought would not be involved. Eoin McCartan had an injury which was supposed to rule him out until the summer at the earliest but really looked the part when he came on. James McGovern got a straight red in the National League against Westmeath last Sunday, but the Sigerson rules still allowed him to play today It's highly likely that Queen's would have lost if either had been unavailable, so the margins were very narrow.

bcarrier

Burren men score AET winning points in sigerson & mcrory cups. Class is permanent.

Pangurban

Overall thought the contribution of the Down lads involved was very poor, not a good omen for our future development

bigpaul

Quote from: bcarrier on March 03, 2007, 11:54:09 PM
Burren men score AET winning points in sigerson & mcrory cups. Class is permanent.

How do you score a winning point after extra time (AET), would have thought that was a bit late bcarrier? ;) A bit like Burren, in the past?

Paddyofthehall

Hey guys not a regular poster and a non drinker hence the late post. Why are people against mcgourty - don't know the lad, i'm from ballindery so will never play against him but as a person at the game he was the person who changed the game against uuj - in my opinion he was amazing, qub have 2 horses in midfield but mcgourty won the ball that counted-  his switch to the midfield area was as far as im concerned a masive master stroke.  Big adrian and moran are legends but mcgourty won every ball that counted - forget about him going mad when he got booked thats just hiim -  a class act. You all might hate him because of his reputation but dam sure  he won the sigerson for queens along with o'kane and reilly in full forward.

thewobbler

So poor was he in the first half, if I was in charge McGourty wouldn't have reappeared for the second half. But thereafter he was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch, and had more influence on where the Sigerson Cup went than any other player on show. Anyone arguing with this was watching the game with a pre-ordained agenda.

Pangurban, would a miserable existence you live. 10 Down men played in a Sigerson Cup final yesterday and you talk about poor omens? Catch a grip you fcukin doomlord. Aidan Carr was oustanding. Eoin McCartan's introduction was instrumental. James McGovern hit the winning score. Luke Howard was impressive. Dan Cartan hardly put a foot wrong.

What more do you want?

clawaddy

Mark Lynchs point.  Very surprised nobody has complained here about the refusal to allow this score from Lynchs free.  I had a perfect view of this kick which curled in at the last minute. The umpire at that side was overruled later when he disallowed another good score.  The linesman on the stand side had a good view and could have spoken to the referee.  The linesman on duty at Fridays game had more courage and made sure Queens were awarded a point when a similar thing happened

Dubh driocht

Clawaddy, maybe we were at different games. I was also behind Lynch's 'point' and it was a foot wide. I was also behind a Poly point that was allowed (Bradley possibly) and it was wide (one umpire called it so but was over-ruled by the other).As were the Poly subs and they didn't appeal the one that was 'disallowed'. Overall I thought Crowe had a good game. Queens could also feel hard done-by when he had blown for a Queens free 2 minutes from the end of normal time, he got clattered by Colgan (?) and then decided to throw it up,under pressure from Mc Guckin. I actually think there were too many bulls in the Poly Pen- Mc Guckin, Moran and Roger Keenan(shame RK!) were all calling the shots and there was resulting confusion on the field. Queens on the other hand had a clear game plan of the early ball to the full-forward line which worked a treat- well done to James and O'Rourke-and their substitutes all made a difference .Unlike UUJ, who also paid for the introduction of players who had not played in the Mc Kenna Cup.So if you are a Poly man with a hang-over, MH would have a few questions to answer.As for Pangurban's contribution !The wobbler is absolutely right.If Ross and DJ were there, they would be the happiest managers of the 7 Ulster teams represented. Mc Gourty certainly gave Jody Gormley(who was there) something to ponder.

INDIANA

people over-estimate sigerson football in the sense that they believe it will translate into county success. from i've seen of down football in recent you've had a lot of talented underage footballers who when they hit the senior ranks had their heads up there arse  thinking they were ready made stars. The reality is you've lost the best of the lot- Martin Clarke - he'd have been worth five of those players you keep talking about and could have turned Down into a serious outfit on his own- he was the best minor i've possibly ever seen. I can't see Down making any impact against the likes of tyrone--armagh and donegal in the ulster championship this season- there form is as bad as dublin's at the moment and having had the misfortune of having watched dublin in all their games this year -that's bad..

ONeill

I think it was Mulgrew who hit the point that was disputed by both umpires. McGourty's move to help out the half backs won the game, although there was really nothing in it. But for a poor kick-out when UUJ were seconds from winning it in normal time, it'd have been them who were nursing pleasant hangovers this morning. Perhaps the previous day's extra time took it out of them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dubh driocht

Yeah, it really could have gone either way.Cavanagh's punch to the crossbar was pretty cruel on UUJ.Your point about Mc Gourty is right- Mulgrew was anonymous when Mc Gourty went in to the middle zone.Mind you Lynch didn't do as much as he could have. He looked unmarkable for the first 10 - maybe the extra time from Friday caught up with both of them.Without being in any way elitist, and picking up on Benny Tierney's point, the Sigerson is great football and we should do away with under 21s.Some of those lads are under far too much pressure when thay have to study as well

bennydorano

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 03, 2007, 07:01:06 PM
My admiration of James Colgan as a footballing heavyweight continues to evolve  ;). Yet again his reputation garnered him a starting place.

Evolve or dissolve?  I mentioned to someone last night that the only time I saw him was for the throw-ins.  Obviously he's still only a lad with plenty of time to develop.

behind the wire

tommy-jow wouldnt like being beaten by queens like that. uuj put in alot of effort this year, players appeared to be very well treated this year and they believed it was their year. saw james mcgovern going over to shake tommy-joe's hand at the end, priceless.
great game of football, maybe not for the neutral but for anyone with an affiliation to either institution it was excellent. it is probably one of the biggest rivilaries in the gaa. the whole weekend was brilliant, everyone that took part should be applauded for their hard work.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest