Sigerson 2007

Started by robertemmet, February 07, 2007, 11:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on March 03, 2007, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 03, 2007, 04:43:32 PM
Queens 0-15, UUJ 0-14 AET. Looked like a cracker from the teletext.

:D

Yep, score for score almost, but appearances can be deceptive  ;) 

Syd has the low-down though, and not the best of quality apparently  :-\
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

youbetterbelieveit

Ya a reasonable game of football, it was played in a good honest manner, discpline was good with both teams. The standard was nothing spectacular. Nobody really shone through the game.
For UUJ Mark Lynch probably their best player while for Queens i though Carlie Vernon played well won alot of ball and drove forward with it.

Syd The Sailor

After todays game I am still waiting for the Kevin Mc Gourty hype to be justified....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

bennydorano

Wouldn't have gave MOTM to McGourty either, thought Johnny Bradley (#9) for UUJ was excellent.  Vernon and Miceal O'rourke showed up well for Queens, could understand Queens taking off O'Rourke near the end, he was torturing that FB.

Syd The Sailor

AnDunYeGo

McGourty was man of the match , i thought that Vernon should have got it

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: AnDunYeGo on March 03, 2007, 05:42:03 PM
McGourty was man of the match , i thought that Vernon should have got it

Are you serious, fcuk me i must have been watching a different match......

Mourne Rover

McGourty was a worthy MoM. I was not convinced by him before, but he started well, got better when the pressure was on and eventually made the catches which turned the match. Bradley was excellent for UUJ, and Lynch looked like he would win the game by himself until Queen's got to grips with him.

It was also a fine managerial performance from James, as he got it tactically right against a physcially stronger UUJ, and he used his subs very effectively, none more than his brother Eoin, who was outstanding when he appeared late on.

Overall, it was a fair old match played in a good spirit throughout. Incredibly enough, there was also not a single really bad tackle at any stage.

The TopKat

Anyone have a report on the Trench Cup final?

DownFanatic

Well done to Queens and especially my clubmate Paul McComiskey. It was a good fair match with the hard hitting and all that nonsense not appearing. Eoin McCartan's point that brought the game to extra time was a real gem as he had just come on. Dan McCartan, Justin Crozier, Charlie Vernon, Aidan Carr, Miceal O'Rourke and Ciarian O'Reilly were the best Queens players on view. Luke Howard and James McGovern did well when introduced. UUJ had too many passengers. Most of the work was left to Bradley and Lynch to contend with. My admiration of James Colgan as a footballing heavyweight continues to evolve  ;). Yet again his reputation garnered him a starting place. I thought Paddy Cunningham was mesmeric. He surely has to be the best striker of the ball at this level. Mulgrew was impressive aswell but tries that dummy too much while Colm Cavanagh just couldnt cut it. UUJ will surely dominate the Sigerson for the next couple of years. Queens have now lost the majority of this team and will have to rebuild.

Cloc Mor

Would I be wrong in thinking that this is one of Cavanagh's first games for the Poly.  How can you just come into a side you never train with or play for?  It showed late on when he had no desire to run, work or win ball.  Put a red hand on his breast and see the difference.

Over the Bar

Was up at the game today and it was a cracker to watch.  I thought Jordanstown were slightly the better team but Queens were determined not to lose 4 finals in a row.  Extra time favoured Queens as Jordanstown played extra time in their game yesterday in very heavy conditions so to expect them to play another 90 mins today was asking a lot.

Johnny Bradley & McGourty were the 2 best players on the field.  Young O'Rouke from Dromitee looks like he could be a good future option up front for Armagh.  Is he anything to Aidan & Cathal?

Cloc Mor

QuoteYoung O'Rouke from Dromitee looks like he could be a good future option up front for Armagh.  Is he anything to Aidan & Cathal?

With that nose, of course he is.

ClosetotheHarte

Apparently Cavanagh has been suffering with an injury problem which might explain a quiet performance today, although I didn't see any of the game. He's a good talent all right but has yet to show it consistently.

Dubh driocht

While Mc Gourty might have shaded Bradley for MOM, I thought Aidan Carr was the pivot for everything good about Queens.He covered every blade and if he had a bit more confidence , he would be a CHF to build a team around. Did miss one bad one in 4th quarter of normal time but it was his cross-field ball that led to Mc Govern's winning point. The two CHBs had good games- Donnelly is solid while O'Kane can be spectacular and his big run along the stand could have won the game in normal time if he hadn't telegraphed the last pass. The game really reminded me of the 82 win for Queens on the same pitch ( over UCG) -a hard, fair game that could have gone either way and went to Queens AET.