Started by wherefromreferee?, February 08, 2010, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: INDIANA on February 10, 2010, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: achtungantrim on February 09, 2010, 03:31:34 PM
Quote from: Sonny Joe on February 08, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: wherefromreferee? on February 08, 2010, 01:35:39 PM
Derry fresh from destroying Tyrone, Dublin after beating the Cute Hoors in Kerry for the first time in 28yrs.  Please discuss.

The under card before the major powers do battle in the championship  8)

are Tyrone on the slide. I know its hard to answer and only the c'ship will tell. But plyrs at this level have a life span and a high number of Tyrone players have been to the well many times. But they will answer those question s come the summer. Tyrone have now lost to Dryy, Donegal and of course Cork last summer. Very unTyrone like!!

i said around the kildare quarter-final last year that tyrone looked like a team in decline. they continue to  look slow and one-paced. the legs are getting older and they have too many smurfs that can be out-muscled. they need more 6ft+, fast players that are skillful and comfortable on the ball a la kerry and cork. dublin will be a force this year, mark my words. i'll predict now that there won't be an ulster team involved at the semi-final stage of the championship. antrim will do well again, and will be a better match for tyrone in the ulster first round.

as for dublin v derry, the dubs by 4. derry don't have the steel required to match the major teams this year. the main champ contenders will be: cork, kerry, dublin, mayo and kildare.

Kerry don't have  a huge amount over 6ft. So thats bullshit already. Cork sacrificed skill for size in a couple of positions and it won them nothing. So bang goes that theory.

That's nonsense. Cork were the best team in the country last year - skill and size - and the only thing that beat them was psychological

INDIANA

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 10, 2010, 03:26:11 PM
Quote from: achtungantrim on February 09, 2010, 03:31:34 PM
Quote from: Sonny Joe on February 08, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: wherefromreferee? on February 08, 2010, 01:35:39 PM
Derry fresh from destroying Tyrone, Dublin after beating the Cute Hoors in Kerry for the first time in 28yrs.  Please discuss.

The under card before the major powers do battle in the championship  8)

are Tyrone on the slide. I know its hard to answer and only the c'ship will tell. But plyrs at this level have a life span and a high number of Tyrone players have been to the well many times. But they will answer those question s come the summer. Tyrone have now lost to Dryy, Donegal and of course Cork last summer. Very unTyrone like!!

i said around the kildare quarter-final last year that tyrone looked like a team in decline. they continue to  look slow and one-paced. the legs are getting older and they have too many smurfs that can be out-muscled. they need more 6ft+, fast players that are skillful and comfortable on the ball a la kerry and cork. dublin will be a force this year, mark my words. i'll predict now that there won't be an ulster team involved at the semi-final stage of the championship. antrim will do well again, and will be a better match for tyrone in the ulster first round.

as for dublin v derry, the dubs by 4. derry don't have the steel required to match the major teams this year. the main champ contenders will be: cork, kerry, dublin, mayo and kildare.

Kerry don't have  a huge amount over 6ft. So thats bullshit already. Cork sacrificed skill for size in a couple of positions and it won them nothing. So bang goes that theory.

That's nonsense. Cork were the best team in the country last year - skill and size - and the only thing that beat them was psychological

No they weren't because they were runners up. Thats basic stuff really. The best team every year wins the all-ireland.

Aghdavoyle

Seems everything these other boys say about you is rightl...

So they lost to kerry in the final last year because of a paucity of skill, arrived at due to selecting size instead. All this despite outplaying kerry comfortably in munster?

INDIANA

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 10, 2010, 03:47:28 PM

So they lost to kerry in the final last year because of a paucity of skill, arrived at due to selecting size instead. All this despite outplaying kerry comfortably in munster?

So a Munster title is more important than the All-Ireland? By that token Dublin must be the bext team in Ireland having won their province 5 years in a row. Cork were outplayed for 60mins in the all-ireland final. Kicking the ball over the bar is a skill in itself. The fact that Cork couldn't do it reflects their inferior ball skills to kerry. Kerry and Tyrone kick the ball over the bar better than everyone else. Hence the reason they are the 2 teams of the decade. To bracket Cork as a good as Kerry with no all-ireland title behind them is an insult to Kerry.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on February 10, 2010, 03:19:59 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 10, 2010, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 10, 2010, 02:47:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 10, 2010, 02:37:19 PM
Jeez Indy - I would have said that Kerry dont have that many under 6ft tall !
Only Darren osullivan is small, Declan osull prob the next smallest and hes about 5' 10"
a couple 5'11" I think the rest 6' or more

Ranges from 5ft 10 to about 6ft average. I think if you look at the standard IC profile thats the general size.
The point being he's talking about putting forward some giants like Cork did last year who aren't very good footballers. And it was their undoing in my view. All the Kerry lads can play. I've seen Dublin going down that proposed route before and it was a disaster.
fair enough - think Darren os brings down the average considerably !!
Kerry lads are quite big and can play !! (obv)

Dublins problem wasnt the size of players - its that they were athletes more than footballers.
I still think the likes of hubbard are too small for IC - great little player but just too small.

I wouldn't prioritise size over ability bar a few positions. Seen Dublin  go down that road too much before.
two fellas with equal pace and ability - size can then make a huge difference !

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: INDIANA on February 10, 2010, 03:54:42 PM

So a Munster title is more important than the All-Ireland? By that token Dublin must be the bext team in Ireland having won their province 5 years in a row. Cork were outplayed for 60mins in the all-ireland final. Kicking the ball over the bar is a skill in itself. The fact that Cork couldn't do it reflects their inferior ball skills to kerry. Kerry and Tyrone kick the ball over the bar better than everyone else. Hence the reason they are the 2 teams of the decade. To bracket Cork as a good as Kerry with no all-ireland title behind them is an insult to Kerry.

Just what are you talking about?
Who said a munster title was more important than an all ireland?
Cork lost the ai final in their heads.

Give me examples of how cork sacraficed skill for size...

Bogball XV

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 10, 2010, 09:45:24 PM

the team with the better forwards won - Cork's forwards weren't only worse in their heads, they were not technically as skillful as the Kerry forwards.  I don't know if they'd have done worse by selecting other smaller players or not, they probably wouldn't have made the final in that case though.

Hound

Dublin team named:

Michael  Savage           
Paul Conlon                                Rory O'Carroll                      Michael Fitzsimons
Paul Griffin (Capt)                     Cian O'Sullivan                          James McCarthy
Eamon Fennell                  Ross McConnell
Alan Hubbard                          Michael McAuley                           Paul Flynn
David Henry                             Blaine Kelly                     Kevin McManamon

Subs: Stephen Cluxton, Conor McCormack, Paul Casey, Sean Murray, Dara Nelson, Denis Carrigan, Tiernan Diamond, Bernard Brogan, Dean Kelly, Kevin Bonner, Brendan McManamon, Dean Rock, James Brogan.

Injured: Philly McMahon, Bryan Cullen, Alan Brogan, Barry Cahill, Ger Brennan, Conal Keaney, Darren Daly, Pat Burke, Darren Magee, Denis Bastic, Tomas Quinn, Ross O'Carroll.

I see Paddy Andrews in the paper today for some GPA charity thingy. Is Paddy not on the panel?

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on February 11, 2010, 08:38:55 AM
Dublin team named:

Michael  Savage           
Paul Conlon                                Rory O'Carroll                      Michael Fitzsimons
Paul Griffin (Capt)                     Cian O'Sullivan                          James McCarthy
Eamon Fennell                  Ross McConnell
Alan Hubbard                          Michael McAuley                           Paul Flynn
David Henry                             Blaine Kelly                     Kevin McManamon

Subs: Stephen Cluxton, Conor McCormack, Paul Casey, Sean Murray, Dara Nelson, Denis Carrigan, Tiernan Diamond, Bernard Brogan, Dean Kelly, Kevin Bonner, Brendan McManamon, Dean Rock, James Brogan.

Injured: Philly McMahon, Bryan Cullen, Alan Brogan, Barry Cahill, Ger Brennan, Conal Keaney, Darren Daly, Pat Burke, Darren Magee, Denis Bastic, Tomas Quinn, Ross O'Carroll.

I see Paddy Andrews in the paper today for some GPA charity thingy. Is Paddy not on the panel?

Unwritten rule Hound that DCU players aren't playing because of sigerson on wednesday. Shhhhh!

INDIANA

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 10, 2010, 09:45:24 PM

I don't rate Pearse O Neill highly personally as a skilled forward. Fintan Gould for example would be a better footballer for me.
This is a thread about Dublin v Derry by the way.

Aghdavoyle

I'm simply replying to a post you made so if you've an issue with the thread content, look in the mirror.

That's a very poor example. Fintan Gould is 6'2", powerful and pacy. You think he didn't get his place for physical deficiencies?

INDIANA

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 11, 2010, 10:43:04 AM

I'm simply replying to a post you made so if you've an issue with the thread content, look in the mirror.

That's a very poor example. Fintan Gould is 6'2", powerful and pacy. You think he didn't get his place for physical deficiencies?

Its a very good example- 6ft 5 and 16 stone. Great physical attributes- limited football skills. Cork need a playmaker at 11 not a battering ram in my view. Fintan Gould is a footballer.

DuffleKing

none of my business, but...

Gould isn't a good enough footballer to make that cork team. It's an ironic example to pick actually because if counihan was going for physicality, the likes of gould would be playing wing forward instead of kerrigan or kelly and cussen would be playing a lot more.

Cork happen to have a lot of big fellas that can play ball.

wherefromreferee?

Derry team named...

1 Barry Gillis Machaire Fiolta
2 Brian Og McAlary Cill Ria
3 Gerard O'Kane Gleann An Iolair
4 Dermot Mc Bride Baile Na Scríne
5 Charlie Kielt Cill Ria
6 Mark Lynch Beannchar
7 Liam Hinphey Dun Geimhin
8 Fergal Doherty Baile Eochaidh
9 Patsy Bradley Sleacht Neil
10 Joe Diver Baile Eochaidh
11 James Kielt Cill Ria
12 Andrew Mc Cartney Baile Mhic Uiginn
13 Enda Lynn An Grianloch
14 Caolan O' Boyle Leamhthaigh
15 Aidy Mc Laughlin Carraig Bhan
16 Martin Dunne Baile Stíl
17 Michael Mc Goldrick Baile Eochaidh
18 Mark Craig Dun Geimhin
19 Barry Mc Guigan Sleacht Neil
20 Kevin McCloy Leamhthaigh
21 Brian Mullan Gleann An Iolair
22 Seamus Bradley Baile Na Scríne
23 Eoghan Brown Baile Eochaidh
24 Lee Moore Carraig Bhan
In your Endo!

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 11, 2010, 03:14:56 PM

none of my business, but...

Gould isn't a good enough footballer to make that cork team. It's an ironic example to pick actually because if counihan was going for physicality, the likes of gould would be playing wing forward instead of kerrigan or kelly and cussen would be playing a lot more.

Cork happen to have a lot of big fellas that can play ball.

Paul Kerrigan is a big fella physically. paddy kelly should be centre forward. He's the class act of the half forwards and he's wasted on the wing. at 11 he would transform the cork team.