Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Yoda

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 11, 2010, 05:18:20 AM
Must be quare Peaceful and Serene in some of the households around here
what with some of the Holier than thou attitudes being lauded ::)
Surrounded by Dalai Lama's by Jaysus :o

:D :D :D
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 11, 2010, 05:18:20 AM
Must be quare Peaceful and Serene in some of the households around here
what with some of the Holier than thou attitudes being lauded ::)
Surrounded by Dalai Lama's by Jaysus :o

None of us I don't think are 110% clean in our attitudes but racism and homophobia should be challenged every time... sorry to see that disapoints you Tyrone.

Olly

Some of the people on here are so horrible inside that im almost homohomophobic - im phobic to homophobics. But I do believe in the power of reflection and many will see the good people and reflect and change.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Olly on February 11, 2010, 11:12:44 AM
Some of the people on here are so horrible inside that im almost homohomophobic - im phobic to homophobics. But I do believe in the power of reflection and many will see the good people and reflect and change.

Is there a prize for figuring out what you have said there?

Hardy

I'd say you meant homophobe-phobic.

Homohomophobic doesn't work. Two homos don't make a ... whatever.

EC Unique

Quote from: Hardy on February 11, 2010, 11:26:23 AM

I think it means he is a gay homophobic  :o :o   

I would also be disappointed if my son came home with one of those :D :D

whiskeysteve

Quote from: ludermor on February 11, 2010, 11:08:37 AM
http://www.godhatesfags.com/

Some light reading.

http://www.signmovies.net/videos/music/index.html

Some absolutely cracking videos. Highlights include jews fighting for a coin and a michael jackson in hell diatribe set to 'beat it'
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Maiden1

Quote from: EC Unique on February 11, 2010, 11:45:32 AM

The DUP has a few of these  ::)

As long as no one is doing something against there will and not hurting anyone else then no one else has the right to judge (just ask Iris).

It's easy to have prejudices based on some logic that you have a negative view of some people from a designated group and therefore everyone from that group must be the same , from TV or the daily mail/express or whatever, people say I hate Prods/Nordies/Gays/Jews/Americans/Foreigners.. but when you talk to an individual from that group through work or whatever then you realise people are just people with the same sort of issues, insecurities etc. that anyone else have and that stereotypes rarely fit. 

Take everyone as you find them and with the respect you hope they treat you.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 09, 2010, 07:45:41 PM
I agree re. all this crap about being 'disappointed if my son was gay'.

What would you think if your brother, your cousin or, worst still, your best friend turned out to be gay?

maybe just maybe it has something to do with the desire to continue the family tree and name, something which cannot be done obviously with gays and lesbians in the family.

Olly

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on February 11, 2010, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 09, 2010, 07:45:41 PM
I agree re. all this crap about being 'disappointed if my son was gay'.

What would you think if your brother, your cousin or, worst still, your best friend turned out to be gay?

maybe just maybe it has something to do with the desire to continue the family tree and name, something which cannot be done obviously with gays and lesbians in the family.

Thats where you're misinformed. Yes you can. Gay men can have children, as can gay women.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

mountainboii

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 11, 2010, 12:21:12 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 11, 2010, 11:45:32 AM

The DUP has a few of these  ::)

Read a theory once that some of the most ardent homophobes are actually repressed homosexuals themselves. Their extreme stance on homosexuality is thought to be a coping mechanism for dealing with their suppressed emotions. Could be bullshit, but interesting none the less.

Olly

No I don't buy into the idea that all homophobes are gay in the same way that I don't believe that all racists are black underneath. I think many people don't like things that are different and maybe thats just a natural instinct that people who are not too even minded cannot deal with. When you have a new heart or lung, your body might not like it and it needs medication to accept it. Maybe homophobes need medication be it in visible form or through thearpy. Thatd turn the tables.

ziggysego

Quote from: Olly on February 11, 2010, 01:23:27 PM
No I don't buy into the idea that all homophobes are gay in the same way that I don't believe that all racists are black underneath. I think many people don't like things that are different and maybe thats just a natural instinct that people who are not too even minded cannot deal with. When you have a new heart or lung, your body might not like it and it needs medication to accept it. Maybe homophobes need medication be it in visible form or through thearpy. Thatd turn the tables.

I hate to tell you Olly, you've just opened a can of worms now...
Testing Accessibility

Declan

Rugby star says sorry after homophobic outburst on Twitter
'No malicious intent' in post about gay referee, says lock forward

Thursday February 11 2010

A WELSH international rugby player was last night forced to apologise after posting a homophobic comment on the social networking website Twitter, just two months after his Wales team-mate Gareth Thomas became the first professional rugby player in Britain to reveal that he was gay.

Lock forward Jonathan Thomas, 27, who has 51 caps for Wales and is set to play in the second row against Scotland in the Six Nations in Cardiff on Saturday, wrote the offensive remarks during an exchange on Twitter yesterday morning with Ian Evans, one of his team-mates at the Welsh club Ospreys.

Evans wrote: "Legs and ass are in bits, can't move." Thomas posted in reply: "U gotta stop hanging round with Nigel Owens!" [a top Welsh referee who came out in 2007]. Evans then made an apology of sorts on behalf of Thomas: "For those ppl [people] who got the wrong end of the stick... it was from our savage training day yesterday, sorry about my friend fellow ppl."

In his autobiography, Half Time, Mr Owens revealed that he had tried to commit suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills as he struggled to come to terms with his sexuality when he was a young man. He has since said he has experienced no discrimination during his time as a rugby referee.

Yesterday, he told The Independent that he knew both players well and could see "nothing malicious" in what Thomas had written. However, he said he would call him "to find out what he was on about".

"It's probably just tongue-in-cheek, something they said without thinking about it," he said. "If it had been other players that I didn't know so well then maybe I might think, 'Hang on a minute', but with those two there's definitely no issues."

Thomas's comments come at a time when homophobia in British sport is under intense scrutiny. Only this week, the FA provoked anger by delaying the screening of a film designed to highlight and discourage homophobic chanting and insults by football supporters.

In December, the former Welsh captain Gareth Thomas revealed he was gay in a newspaper interview. His agent said he did not wish to comment on the incident because he felt it had merely been "good-natured banter" between the two players.

The posts were deleted from Twitter shortly after The Independent contacted the Welsh Rugby Union last night. In a statement, Jonathan Thomas said: "Nigel is a great friend of mine and there is absolutely no way I would say anything to him or about him publicly - or indeed privately - which I thought he would find personally offensive. There is no malicious intent in this message whatsoever. This was some childish banter between friends and I did not think for a moment that there may be other people out there reading it and/or taking it in the wrong way.

"I made a very silly comment to something else that was written, but nevertheless, I would like to apologise to anyone who is or was offended by it. I have spoken to Nigel this afternoon and, as I knew at the time of writing, he is not offended and he remains a very good friend. I have now removed the offending comment and will be much more conscious of distinguishing between private jokes and what can be said in a public forum in future."

Gay-rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said: "Homophobic tweets are just as unacceptable as similar outbursts on blogs and message boards. This is not what we would expect from players such as Jonathan Thomas. These remarks are particularly disappointing as they come just weeks after Jonathan's former international team-mate Gareth Thomas came out to such public acclaim and admiration.

"Many of us expected and hoped that this was a turning point and that Welsh rugby could kiss goodbye to homophobia. Sadly, Jonathan's proved us wrong."

Source: UK Independent

- Chris Green and James Corrigan