Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

What amazes me about some of the people on here is their almost total ignorance. Paddy went around the world and was treated 2nd class everywhere he went. There isn't one of us on this board that hasn't had a relative live abroad. We heard all the stories and the songs about the world giving Paddy shit and what do we do, we give it back to others cos they are black or Gay or Travellers or whatever. EC Unique - you are a particularily sad little man, happy in your own stupidity. You think it is ok to dislike someone cos of their skin colour? You'll be refusing your kids to use black doctors or surgeons I suppose. Maybe some of ye should take your heads out of your holes cos ye are an embarrassment to the GAA and to Ireland. I'd swap the half of ye for a any other race or creed in the world that had a bit of respect for their fellow man.

Now cue the "PC Brigade bullshit" defence/attack.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

Yes, and yes. Also, is the term 'coloured' not inherently racist? Are we all not 'coloured'?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

stew

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 06:52:55 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 09, 2010, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom

Doubt that....was well and truly embedded long before getting on the plane :-\
Where does the ?"True right wingers" come into that explanation?

Irish-Americans I encountered were very anti-black, anti-gay, fierce supporters of the death penalty, very fundamental in their religion... I think that is right wing...

Strange, most of the ones I have met have not given a shite about black or white, were uncomfortable with homosexuality but never said anything negative about gay people, were divided on both the death penalty and politics.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

no mo do yakamo

Im loving the undercurrent here that assumes all members here are white and straight. And racism is a whites hating blacks thing.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: stew on February 09, 2010, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 06:52:55 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 09, 2010, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom

Doubt that....was well and truly embedded long before getting on the plane :-\
Where does the ?"True right wingers" come into that explanation?

Irish-Americans I encountered were very anti-black, anti-gay, fierce supporters of the death penalty, very fundamental in their religion... I think that is right wing...

Strange, most of the ones I have met have not given a shite about black or white, were uncomfortable with homosexuality but never said anything negative about gay people, were divided on both the death penalty and politics.

That was my experience in the Bronx.

AZOffaly

I think there's a level of exageration here. I don't believe all Irish people are inherently racist or homophobic. But maybe I'm naive.

The Iceman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2010, 07:03:24 PM
What amazes me about some of the people on here is their almost total ignorance. Paddy went around the world and was treated 2nd class everywhere he went. There isn't one of us on this board that hasn't had a relative live abroad. We heard all the stories and the songs about the world giving Paddy shit and what do we do, we give it back to others cos they are black or Gay or Travellers or whatever. EC Unique - you are a particularily sad little man, happy in your own stupidity. You think it is ok to dislike someone cos of their skin colour? You'll be refusing your kids to use black doctors or surgeons I suppose. Maybe some of ye should take your heads out of your holes cos ye are an embarrassment to the GAA and to Ireland. I'd swap the half of ye for a any other race or creed in the world that had a bit of respect for their fellow man.

Myles while I do agree that there is a lot of ignorance on the board I think a lot of the comments thus far from people have been to provoke comment and based on your reaction it seems to be working.

I think we should respect our fellow man - but it doesn't mean we have to respect or agree with his opinions.  We can respect his right to have opinions but we don't have to respect his opinions.  If we all followed the trend what a boring world we would live in....................
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Keyser soze

I think that both racism and homophobia are fairly rife amongst Irish people and i've heard many examples of the former, even within my own family, and i've  got nieces and nephews who are half chinese. When i pointed this out the response was  'ah that's different' WTF!!!

I would partly support what Myles said in that it is mind boggling for the Irish to be racist given their treatment abroad in the past. It's particularly disheartening to hear Irish Americans spout some of this nonsense when abroad [my brother and Sis-in-law].

Having said that I'm surprised to see posters saying that Irish/Americans and/or Americans are more racist than anyone else, where's the evidence for this?

I would differentiate between a person's sexual orientation and their race in that a person's race is absolutely predetermined at conception. I don't subscribe to the view that sexual orientation is predetermined at conception in the same fashion but is a mixture of genes, nurture and lifestyle choice. [I have zero evidence for this theory, please do not ask for any as a refusal often offends] No reason to treat them any differently tho. Having said that I wouldn't like my son be a homosexual, though i feel this unlikely as i don't have any children, despite some legendary feats in trying to beget some.  ;)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I agree re. all this crap about being 'disappointed if my son was gay'.

What would you think if your brother, your cousin or, worst still, your best friend turned out to be gay?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2010, 07:22:14 PM
I think there's a level of exageration here. I don't believe all Irish people are inherently racist or homophobic. But maybe I'm naive.

You could well be right.

It could just be that this thread has a large proportion of arseholes.

Tony Baloney

I find it very hard to believe that any man on this board, or in Ireland for that matter, would not be taken aback and disappointed if they found out their son was gay. If you say it wouldn't annoy you in the slightest then I'd call you a liar.

I would have no problems whatsoever with any of my sons taking home woman of any colour.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2010, 07:55:32 PM
I find it very hard to believe that any man on this board, or in Ireland for that matter, would not be taken aback and disappointed if they found out their son was gay. If you say it wouldn't annoy you in the slightest then I'd call you a liar.

I would have no problems whatsoever with any of my sons taking home woman of any colour.
I think taken aback would be a reasonable enough emotion?  Disapointed?  I can say with certainty I wouldn't be disappointed.  I still don't understand what exactly yous are disappointed about. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

:D :D Very good. Fire in a few more insults to make your point even stronger.

You will find there are more Irish people that would share my views than disagree.
Would they all be 'sad little people, happy in their own stupidity'?

Puckoon

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 08:27:44 PM

:D :D Very good. Fire in a few more insults to make your point even stronger.

You will find there are more Irish people that would share my views than disagree.
Would they all be 'sad little people, happy in their own stupidity'?

Sad indictment of the state of the nation.