NFL Division 3 Thread

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 01, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Fitzpatrick will not rush back injured stars for top of the table Antrim clash

"It's do or bust next Saturday. If we want to get promotion to Division Two we have to beat Antrim. Before this, we were hoping to get four points out of the last six. Now we are looking to get four out of four."
PeteR Fitzpatrick
Louth Manager

By Gary McLaughlin
Louth boss Peter Fitzpatrick was extremely disappointed following Louth's shock loss to Roscommon.

The defeat seriously dented the promotion push to Division Two, but rather than blame the players, Fitzpatrick thought it was just "one of those days."

Now, with everything to play for in Casement Park on Saturday, Fitzpatrick said he will not rush back his injured stars, such as Paddy Keenan and Ray Finnegan.

Speaking after the game, a dejected Fitzpatrick said: "We just did not play well for the whole 70 minutes which is very disappointing.

"I think the difference was and in fairness to Roscommon, they were more hungry than us today, they were first to the ball. I just thought it was a bad day at the office.

"We got two opportunities there at the very end, Shane Lennon went straight for goal and missed a goal and Adrian Reid had an opportunity for a goal aswell, but it was one of those days when nothing went well for us. I thought we could have sneaked a draw in the end but it wasn't our day and that's it."

After last week's result against Fermanagh, Fitzpatrick's men were expected to continue their rich vein of form against Roscommon, but it just did not happen on the day, something the Louth manager put down to Roscommon's perilous position.

"I knew this was going to be a hard, physical game of football. Roscommon have been unlucky in their last three games, losing the games by a total of four points, and I knew today if Roscommon were beat today, they would be relegated and in typical Roscommon style, they came and they fought and they bet us in our back garden.

"It is a set-back. We are very disappointed. I'm disappointed for the lads as they put fantastic effort into it. I cannot have any complaints at all. I know we might not have played well but they the one thing that showed is that they never stopped trying and that's the most important thing at the moment."

Throughout the week, Fitzpatrick and his backroom staff will look at the defensive frailties which were exposed again, but one thing he will not do is rush back injured players for the top of the table clash with Antrim.

It's do or bust next Saturday. If we want to get promotion to Division Two we have to beat Antrim. Before this, we were hoping to get four points out of the last six. Now we are looking to get four out of four.

I do not think it is looking good for a lot of the lads coming back. If they are not right, I am not going to play them. The most important game at the moment is the Antrim game and I cannot take a chance.

All I asked when I took this job was that the lads gave me 100% and today, we didn't play well, but we kept the heads held up high, we kept chasing, we kept hassling. Roscommon are not a bad team, they are a physical team so all I can hope is that we can bounce back against Antrim and if we bounce back, we are back in the race and if not, that is it.

rossie mad

Quote from: drici on March 26, 2010, 11:21:25 AM

“It's do or bust next Saturday. If we want to get promotion to Division Two we have to beat Antrim. Before this, we were hoping to get four points out of the last six. Now we are looking to get four out of four.”
PeteR Fitzpatrick
Louth Manager

By Gary McLaughlin
Louth boss Peter Fitzpatrick was extremely disappointed following Louth's shock loss to Roscommon.

The defeat seriously dented the promotion push to Division Two, but rather than blame the players, Fitzpatrick thought it was just "one of those days."

Now, with everything to play for in Casement Park on Saturday, Fitzpatrick said he will not rush back his injured stars, such as Paddy Keenan and Ray Finnegan.

Speaking after the game, a dejected Fitzpatrick said: "We just did not play well for the whole 70 minutes which is very disappointing.

"I think the difference was and in fairness to Roscommon, they were more hungry than us today, they were first to the ball. I just thought it was a bad day at the office.

"We got two opportunities there at the very end, Shane Lennon went straight for goal and missed a goal and Adrian Reid had an opportunity for a goal aswell, but it was one of those days when nothing went well for us. I thought we could have sneaked a draw in the end but it wasn't our day and that's it."

After last week's result against Fermanagh, Fitzpatrick's men were expected to continue their rich vein of form against Roscommon, but it just did not happen on the day, something the Louth manager put down to Roscommon's perilous position.

"I knew this was going to be a hard, physical game of football. Roscommon have been unlucky in their last three games, losing the games by a total of four points, and I knew today if Roscommon were beat today, they would be relegated and in typical Roscommon style, they came and they fought and they bet us in our back garden.

"It is a set-back. We are very disappointed. I'm disappointed for the lads as they put fantastic effort into it. I cannot have any complaints at all. I know we might not have played well but they the one thing that showed is that they never stopped trying and that's the most important thing at the moment."

Throughout the week, Fitzpatrick and his backroom staff will look at the defensive frailties which were exposed again, but one thing he will not do is rush back injured players for the top of the table clash with Antrim.

It's do or bust next Saturday. If we want to get promotion to Division Two we have to beat Antrim. Before this, we were hoping to get four points out of the last six. Now we are looking to get four out of four.

I do not think it is looking good for a lot of the lads coming back. If they are not right, I am not going to play them. The most important game at the moment is the Antrim game and I cannot take a chance.

All I asked when I took this job was that the lads gave me 100% and today, we didn't play well, but we kept the heads held up high, we kept chasing, we kept hassling. Roscommon are not a bad team, they are a physical team so all I can hope is that we can bounce back against Antrim and if we bounce back, we are back in the race and if not, that is it.

Sure ive being saying that all along ;D

magpie seanie

We still have a chance of going up and also getting relegated! Playing Fermanagh and Roscommon at a bad time with them well improved from their early season form but I think we've kicked on a bit in recent weeks to.

Rossie11

Yeah Seanie I had ye down as bankers for promotion at start of the year.
I still think you have more of a chance of going up than down.
Would fancy ye to beat Fermanagh this weekend and get right back in hunt to go up.
Think both Sligo and Ross have gained a bit of confidence from the U21s.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: hardstation on March 23, 2010, 08:10:53 PM
Which McGourty? All 3 would be welcome into our forward line. Even the da could make the bench which was very light on Sunday.

On that point, what's the deal with Kevin Brady? He's been on the bench but hasn't got a run.
Exactly that, he just hasn't got a run. Probably should have been on last week, or at least came on to steady the ship when we were ahead.

heineken_on_tap

So potentially with 2 games left any of the teams bar Antrim could be relegated, is that right?

Still reckon Ros and perhaps Cavan might go down.

Rossie11

Correct. Cavan have 2 homes games left and a +3 pts difference so its in their own hands really.

SambaSaffron

heineken_on_tap

Will be an interesting few weeks so, some achievement for Antrim if they go from Div 4 to Div 2 in 2 years.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: rossie mad on March 26, 2010, 11:34:09 AM

"It's do or bust next Saturday. If we want to get promotion to Division Two we have to beat Antrim. Before this, we were hoping to get four points out of the last six. Now we are looking to get four out of four."
PeteR Fitzpatrick
Louth Manager

By Gary McLaughlin

Reminds me of a quote by another Louth man...

"San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on"   ;)

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

mattockranger

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 26, 2010, 05:14:05 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on March 26, 2010, 11:34:09 AM

PeteR Fitzpatrick
Louth Manager

By Gary McLaughlin

Reminds me of a quote by another Louth man...

"San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on"   ;)

Ha great analogy!!

Maybe Dundalk people just don't make good managers....
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

FermGael

Have a feeling that Fermanagh may get a win on Sunday.
The defence has a better look to it and with McEllroy in a WHF he will be playing the sweeper role he has played so effectively over the last few years.
Gallagher and Maguire should give us a cutting edge up front as well and McGrath has had 2 games now and should be returning to near full fitness.
Have a feeling it will not be pretty but we will emerge with the 2 points. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Erne Gael

Quote from: FermGael on March 26, 2010, 09:00:02 PM
Have a feeling that Fermanagh may get a win on Sunday.
The defence has a better look to it and with McEllroy in a WHF he will be playing the sweeper role he has played so effectively over the last few years.
Gallagher and Maguire should give us a cutting edge up front as well and McGrath has had 2 games now and should be returning to near full fitness.
Have a feeling it will not be pretty but we will emerge with the 2 points. 

I am hopeful myself of a victory this Sunday. Apparently Fermanagh played well last Sunday and really should have had Wexford dead and buried 10 minutes into the 2nd half as they missed at least a goal and 3 points.
Good to see Gallagher back to add an extra dimension in the forward dept and Eamon back too should be a serious threat to any defence. 2 games should have brought McGrath on a good bit too. From what I gather from chatting to few people down at the game last week in Wexford I heard McElroy was acting as sweeper again and doing a good job by all accounts and when plenty of break ball.
A victory on Sunday and the final game V Cavan could save fermanagh from the drop! fingers crossed

haranguerer

Hmmm, this is of a very similar vein to myself and a few of the other fermanagh lads reasoning before the last game. We were wrong....Hope yous aren't!

mattockranger

well lads Antrim versus Louth tonight just decided I'm not gonna bother heading up to Casement feck it
I'll listen to the game on the wireless and get a few updates here and watch the GAA on Setanta....!!

I'll preview tonights game from a louth perspective

....Any word on the Antrim team?

I reckon the louth team will start roughly the same as the last day with a few possible changes Ray finnegan, PK and Colm Judge may come into the side if they are fit enough...even if they are not Our manager will throw them on and take them off!!

1>Neil Gallagher
2>Ronan Greene
3>Dessie Finnegan
4>John O'Brien
5>Stephen Fitzpatrick
6>Mick Fanning
7>Liam Shevlin...............Ray Finnegan

8>Brian White
9>Derek Crilly..................Paddy Keenan

10>andy McDonell
11>Mark Brennan
12>Derek maguire
13>Shane lennon
14>JP Rooney
15>Aaron Hoey...............Colm Judge

Our full back and forward lines are competitive and in fact our strengths the problem is the middle sector the we fail to deliver a  quality ball into our inside line and our full back line is over worked and highly exposed.

Winning breaking ball has not been our greatest downfall and Brian white does win his fair amount of marks....
But the big problem with this Louth side is the use of the ball in the middle sector and support play....

The movement in our forward line is non existent making it impossible for our defence to find an outlet so what we tend to do is congest the middle with hand passes and build a horribly slow lateral attack

I'm not sure how antrim match up to louth in these areas....but Our halfback in my opinion is nowhere near inter county Standard without ray finnegan and I expect Tomas Mccann to have a field day tonight....

Although louth would have no fear going into this game, Antrim with there Galls men back will have just enough to win.
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital