NFL Division 3 Thread

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 01, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 14, 2010, 10:39:47 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 14, 2010, 06:12:20 PM
Midfield is supposed to ba a disaster at present according to all my sources, Seanie whats your take? Mcgarrity and parsons coming up in the summer...

Yeah, I can see why people are saying that and its a major worry. I'd always try to be positive so I'd ay "disaster" is a bit strong. There are many facets to midfield play and while we're struggling with a lot of them, some of them are getting better. Other aspects will improve as time goes on. We're fecked for alternatives personnel wise so we just have to hope that Kevin Walsh, with all his experience of this sector, can work something out. I'm hopeful that it will work out.

Today for example we didn't catch any clean kickout (Taylor caught one that another player had touched) but I think Louth only claimed 2 marks (we were probably helped by them losing Paddy Keenan before half time). We contested well in general and won a good share of breaks. Our own kickout can be a problem - dropping a kickout on J. Davey (who had gone short) and 3 Louth men just after conceding a goal a prime example. The two midfielders worked hard enough but use of ball not great at times, especially from Taylor which to be fair is unusual.

I'm probably being too positive but the way I look at it we've no other options so it HAS to work and in this situation maybe its better to hope than always point out the difficulty?
Thats quite different to what im hearing from others, but thanks for that. We are a long way from beating Mayo but alot of work before then... and hopefully like last yr mayo will be like galway.

Glad Mattock had a good time except the result ;), I like Markievicz park but I think without my architecture degree I could of done a better job of the stand. Ya I heard our u21s lost 3-17 to 1-4, but to Louth, as I say every yr with the players available its an unacceptable result but with the manager im not suprised. But mattock if your ever in Sligo again, come up to North Sligo, we have the scenery and is the best part of Ireland.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Don't get me wrong, I have serious concerns. Just think/hope it can be solved to an extent where it won't beat us.

Plain of the Herbs

It's the club semi-finals this weekend.  The Sigerson Cup is next weekend.
And it's five games in SIX weeks by my count.
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 16, 2010, 03:29:01 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 16, 2010, 03:21:37 PM
can someone explain the fixture structure for me?

first we have 2 games in two weeks

then a 3 week break  ???

finish off with 5 games in 5 weeks

Well it's the Sigerson weekend this weekend so that's why there's none but after that I have no idea

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 16, 2010, 05:03:57 PM

Thats quite different to what im hearing from others, but thanks for that. We are a long way from beating Mayo but alot of work before then... and hopefully like last yr mayo will be like galway.

Glad Mattock had a good time except the result ;), I like Markievicz park but I think without my architecture degree I could of done a better job of the stand. Ya I heard our u21s lost 3-17 to 1-4, but to Louth, as I say every yr with the players available its an unacceptable result but with the manager im not suprised. But mattock if your ever in Sligo again, come up to North Sligo, we have the scenery and is the best part of Ireland.
I sincerely wish you all luck with your team building plans- but not enough to beat Mayo. ;D
Has the league so far been a total downer or are there signs of better things to come?
Sligo had cruel hard luck last year, like so many others years of the past decade.
I think Mayo seldom carry their league form into the championships whereas the reverse seems to be true for Sligo.
BTW: I have no problem in wishing Sligo and Roscommon were playing better than they are at present. It would benefit football west of the Shannon if there were more genuine contenders than Mayo and Galway every year. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Lar - we're not in too bad shape players wise but we've seriously shot ourselves in the foot with our U-21 and to a lesser extent minors setups. All most people will see is the championship results for those teams and go - Sligo football is poor. Now I'm not writing those teams off just yet - I amazingly always manage to convince myself we are going to win almost every game I go to! Its just that other counties have been allowed a head start by our own ineptitude and we really cannot afford that.

On the senior - early days yet but I'd expect we'll give ye a much better game than 2 years ago at very least.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 18, 2010, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 16, 2010, 05:03:57 PM

I sincerely wish you all luck with your team building plans- but not enough to beat Mayo. ;D
Has the league so far been a total downer or are there signs of better things to come?
Sligo had cruel hard luck last year, like so many others years of the past decade.
I think Mayo seldom carry their league form into the championships whereas the reverse seems to be true for Sligo.
BTW: I have no problem in wishing Sligo and Roscommon were playing better than they are at present. It would benefit football west of the Shannon if there were more genuine contenders than Mayo and Galway every year.

Cruel luck last yr, I dont think so, we were in control of or destiny against Kerry and we blew it. Against Galway again we could of won but way too loose in first 20mins which could of been because of the 11week break which wont happen this yr. We got take responsibility for our own downfalls.

Mayo and galway are no great shakes either....plenty of fluctuation of form in the next 4 months.

Seanies right about the u21s, if there is ever a game I will go to expecting us not to win its that game in carrick, I just feel we havent given ourselves a chance.

Would be very optimistic for the minors but maybe seanie knows more there?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: rossie mad on February 16, 2010, 10:17:13 AM
After leaving brewster park saturday evening in the most depressing mood ive finally got the will to post.
First of all and out of the way the ref was pants plain and simple.
How a forward collects a pass in his chest and then immediately gets pushed to the ground and is awarded a free against him defies any law known to man.Blaming refs is not in my nature as it wasnt his fault ross lost but he definitily didnt help.

Anyway on the match itself thought ross were very good in terms of heart and determination and driving forward but they lacked that bit of composure to see out the game.
Fermanagh were woeful especially in the second half and i cant emphasise that enough.

They fell asleep after getting the first goal and their passing was as close to junior b as you will get.
Thats why i was so sick we lost.We were by far the better team in terms of overall play and anyone who was at the game and says ross were bad didnt watch the game.
Ross were good nothing spectacular but were good and a 110% improvement on the cavan game.
our problem is inexperience the two defenders who let the pass in for the killer goal were two young lads.An older head wouldnt have let him down the line in the first place to pass the ball across the square.No experience head to say your not getting in.
However the young lads of ogara shine (what a performance) domnican and ormsby was most gratifying and young connaughton when he came on as well.

On another point the welcome we got in brewster park was exceptional.
I think ulster people go out of their way to be accomadating to visiting fans and i had some very enjoyable chats with good characters.
Jees never seen Sligo get a good reception in Ulster.  :'(

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 18, 2010, 05:51:00 PM
Lar - we're not in too bad shape players wise but we've seriously shot ourselves in the foot with our U-21 and to a lesser extent minors setups. All most people will see is the championship results for those teams and go - Sligo football is poor. Now I'm not writing those teams off just yet - I amazingly always manage to convince myself we are going to win almost every game I go to! Its just that other counties have been allowed a head start by our own ineptitude and we really cannot afford that.

On the senior - early days yet but I'd expect we'll give ye a much better game than 2 years ago at very least.

I sincerely hope you do; it would benefit both teams immensely. I think the standard in all of Connacht is poor -and not only in Sligo. You have only to look at the number of national titles and All Star awards that came west of the Shannon in the last decade.
It may not be a case of standards actually dropping but I think other counties have surged ahead.
Possibly, when the setup at Bekan comes on stream, things will improve but that's a mighty big ask.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

boro

Time to bump the thread

Just to welcome the Sligo lads down to Wexford Park this weekend. I've a feeling who ever wins this will be line for promotion. Ye missing many for the match? We have a few long term injuries, but all in all not in too bad a state. We have a pretty good record in at home so hoping we can win by a point or two

SLIGONIAN

Thanks boro, im back home so myself and Dad will be heading, we are in North Sligo so very early start. Game throws in at 13.00, wont be chancing the 96 astra though :D. Its my first county match this yr so cant wait. We will be a full strength besides our top scorer Marren and E O Hara, I presuming Mattie Forde is still out for ye, last time we Played was in Markievicz 2 yrs ago and ye won by a point, but Forde was awesome. Ye threatenend a big break through back then, so we would be very happy with a win but no guarntee. Will lyng be playing?

imtommygunn

Looking forward to the antrim fermanagh match at the weekend as I've nto made a game yet.

On form and paper Antrim should win however fermanagh have some good footballers so wouldn't rule anything out.

I'd also expect the winner of sligo-wexford to get promoted. It's really a must win for sligo as they couldn't guarantee with two defeats they'd go up. Wexford could beat antrim and everyone else yet. Having played in the AISF the other year I'd expect their experience to win it for them.

ross4life

big Weekend for the Rossies Away to Offaly if we lose 3 in a row division 4 beckons & just playing for Pride after

but if the Roscommon boys show the same Passion as the last day you'll never know what would happen on Sunday

Sure to be a great following as ever from the Rossies looking forward to game...
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

looks like the Aertel boys are having problems spelling Sligo  :D

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Dougal

sure they had cavan and donegal in the mckenna cup fixed for tralee,them boyos dont have a notion.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!