NFL Division 3 Thread

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 01, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unitedireland

Fermanagh need to win this game and i expect them too. Offaly have not lost at home in 3 years so it is not such a surprise that Fermanagh lost

Lawrence of Knockbride

Now that the dust has settled I reckon Cavan's perfrormance can be summed up as follows. There was plenty of intelligent play in our fowards, i.e. not running down blind alleys and switching the play when the pass was on. The shooting was extremely accurate and the the all-round tackling was reasonably good. The problem is that we gained possession to do all the good attacking not by dominating midfield but by Roscommon's carelessness with the ball. Their passing was very poor and they also couldn't break the tackle. Our midfield is weak and we need a full-back. I think we'll probably score plenty when we get it but I doubt we'll get much. It'll be tight, too tight to call at this time of the year so I'm hopeful of a similar level of effort and performance than anything else. It's all us Breffni boys hope for these days.

SLIGONIAN

I had high hopes until the manager was appointed, all to do with the politics in sligo gaa. We have serious talent, I was at the minor game a few yrs ago against Galway, Sligo were 9-3 down and leveled with 10 to go and galway were on the rack but one of players got injured who was having a stormer and we had used all our subs and ended up losing. We'd Gavin and Darren Gilsenan, N Guaghan, K Cawley, Patrick Greene, D Maye, P Clarke, etc...all top notch players and more. Look we might not win anything at underage because its the Sligo way but there are plenty of players for Sligo Seniors on this panel. I heard they lost to Donegal last weekend, the manager was appointed late and I dont rate him but sure but i still expect us to turn Galway over in Carrick in paddys weekend. Weve won plenty despite poor management in the past. Seanies right they went on to win All Ireland but certainly didnt play like champions the day they played us. We can catch them cold again and Im sure our lads are looking forward to it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Sligo Squad to take on Louth on Sunday February 14th in Markievicz Park in the 2nd Round of the National Football League Throw in is at 2-30pm

TEAM

Philip Greene, Charlie Harrison,Noel McGuire,Ross Donavan,Neil Ewing,Mark Quinn, Johnny Davey,Eugene Mullen,Tony Taylor,Alan Costello, Mark Breheny, Adrian Marren,Stephen Coen,Francis Quinn, David Kelly.

SUBS

Jason Farrell,Conor Davey,Keelan Cawley,Brian Kennedy,Stephen Gilmartin, Sean Davey,Shane Stenson,Colm McGee , Gary Gaughan

There are passengers on that team simple as that. We are fcked against mayo if management dont wake up. I heard sweeney was injured all right.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

neilthemac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2010, 01:52:26 PM
One thing I have noted about Ros under this management is that there seems to have been a total clearout of men in their late 20's to be replaced by lads still learning. For me, for young lads to prosper they need older hands to bring them through. Ros are in danger of throwing these young lads to the wolves and basically destroying them. There are only so many hammerings you can get before you start to question your ability and your morale slips away as does your dedication to the cause. That would be my biggest fear for Roscommon. Surely there has to be some semi experienced older lads in a county the size of roscommon that are not wasters and would be interested in playing county football?

it was mainly Maughan and Carr before him that jettisoned many of the players who should now be leading the team.
Maughan set us back years
the clubs need to get serious about the club championship and get more competitive games for players.
and there are so few clubs in Roscommon that no talented players can be lost

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: hardstation on February 11, 2010, 11:46:17 PM
Antrim lads very quiet on here....

Could be fear....Cavan 2-20..........

Cute Antrim hoors HS!

imtommygunn

Hard to know what to make of the antrim cavan game.

Question is have cavan improved or are roscommon just that bad.

Antrim did well to beat sligo. Still very depleted without the st galls boys.

Don't know what to make of the match...

Sounds like cavan have a quality free taker so better keep the discipline!

Still, optimistically, Antrim by two.

Lone Shark

Quote from: rossie mad on February 12, 2010, 12:24:54 AM

Unfortunately we have not much in the way of the above but what we do have is youth and time and if we get a year where we stay in div 3,beat leitrim and two qualifier wins then i will be very happy.

God bless the Rossie optimism. Coming from nowhere and sets the benchmark for contentment at an All Ireland semi final appearance.  :D

put-it-up

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 11, 2010, 11:56:15 PM
Hard to know what to make of the antrim cavan game.

Question is have cavan improved or are roscommon just that bad.

Antrim did well to beat sligo. Still very depleted without the st galls boys.

Don't know what to make of the match...

Sounds like cavan have a quality free taker so better keep the discipline!

Still, optimistically, Antrim by two.

Roscommon really were that bad..I wont be judging our boys until I see how they fare against Antrim

cavanmaniac

Me too put-it-up, although you'd have to feel that if we played at such a high tilt against an admittedly poor Roscommon team, then we will have enough to sneak a win against a much better but also much weakened Antrim who don't have the St. Galls crew.

Either way it'll tell us a bit more about where we are, what you'd fear most is a Jekyll and Hyde type slump, the sort of which we got all through last year's league. I think we can sneak it by a point or two though, when you add the chmapionship defeat into the motivation tank I think we might want it a shade more than them.

Celt_Man

Looking forward to the game tomorrow an awful lot... Hopefully another good performance and attitude across 1 - 15 will happen and then hopefully the result will follow.

Just realised that the rugby game starts at 4.30 so I'll get to stay at home and watch it and won't have to cut it short before heading to the Home of Football!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

I think Antrim will provide a different challenge for cavan.They may be missing the St Galls crew but they will operate very much as a team unit, I expect their running to be good, their team work and work rate to be good. Roscommon fell apart against Cavan and we prospered but I think Antrim will be much tougher test and if i were a betting man I might put a few bob on the Saffrons to win unfortunatley.

Cosmo Kramer

Lar the ross as a genuine connacht contender this year is very hard to see.
We may get to the final but will be very lucky not to get beat well by yourselves or galway.

Looking at it at this stage the Connacht Final has the makings of a complete massacre. Sligo, Galway or Mayo v Leitrim, Roscommon or London. Don't see how a 10 point + drubbing on a big occasion like that would do any of those three any good. A case for seeding the draw in future perhaps?
(Controversial idea, I know.)

Unfortunately we have not much in the way of the above but what we do have is youth and time and if we get a year where we stay in div 3,beat leitrim and two qualifier wins then i will be very happy.
However next year then will be either our calling from the wilderness or another anus horriblis.

I hope a good crowd travels to enniskillen on saturday and last sunday doesnt put that many off.

Would relegation really be such a disaster for Roscommon if it comes to it? If you're not Div 3 standard at the moment there's no point being there, in Div 4 you could get some wins, build the confidence of the younger lads and improve from there.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

SambaSaffron

I reckon Cavan will beat us tbh, though hope I'm wrong obviously. Looking forward to it anyway.

boro

Not a great Wexford team named for Sunday. Very weak looking midfield but at least Ciaran Lyng is back in the forwards. For some reason the manager is keeping a few of the better lads on the bench, Wexford can't afford to be messing around like that. Badly need a win against offally, not sure we'ill get it.