NFL Division 3 Thread

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 01, 2010, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Good luck to the Roscommon and Cavan teams as they have Declan Corcoran reffing it I see from drici's post!!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

southsidejohnny

So sad to see once great counties down with the permenant poor sides. Hope to see Cavan, Offaly , Wexford and even the Rossies escape from those mediocre Tommy Murphy fodder outfits. Too long down there and your soul changes and you get desperate. Escape towards the sunlight and away from the hell of glorified junior football.

AZOffaly

Quote from: FermGael on February 01, 2010, 09:46:57 PM
I have no idea why they regard Fermanagh as favourites.
We have 4 away game and 3 home games AGAIN FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW.
We are away to Antrim, Cavan, Wexford and first up Offaly.
If we have any chance of making the top 2 its vital we get a win in Offaly.
Cavan is a local derby and Antrim may well have the St Gall's contingent back when we play them.
Wexford have also beat us in the last 2 years and if Forde is fit, they will be in the mix.
Have a wee sneaky feeling about Antrim.  They could very well be like Tipperary last year and have successive promotions.

AZ a few of us thinking of making the trip down for Sunday.
Any advice on where to stay or go for a few pints would be much appreciated.

Sorry FermGael, just saw this now.

For accomodation, there are a couple of decent hotels, The Bridge House, which is central to town and you can walk to O'Connor Park (about a 2.5 KM walk I'd say) and the Tullamore Court, which is about another .5 KM out the Portlaoise side of town. The Days hotel is also there, but I'm not sure what that is like.

The Tullamore Court is about €65 pp, The Bridge House is €60 pp. The Days hotel is €60 for the Room, rather than PP.

For pints, there are a few decent pubs right in the centre there. The famous Brewery Tap, Brian Cowen's favourite hangout is there, as is Pat's Bar, but there are loads of pubs there all along the main street, so you should get either a seisun or a quite pint or a disco type bar, whatever floats your boat. Nightclubs in a couple of hotels as well, including the Bridge House.

AZOffaly

Some of the Down lads stayed there in 2008 I think as well for the massacre of Tullamore. They might have a couple of tips for you too, as a dreaded Nordie :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on February 01, 2010, 06:34:52 PM
All building up to a grand finale in Markievicz on 11th April when we cross Corr Shliabh to beard the Magpies in their den.
Seriously and realistically we are looking to at least stay in the division by avoiding relegation and if we get 4 wins and end the NFL with a reasonable settled team it will be progress.
This was the tightest of all the divisions last year with only a few points between top and bottom and I suspect we'll see a similar close finish again.
The teams with 4 home games will be at an advantage .
We face the Cyaaaavan biys on Sunday and Fergie's problem is that anything up to half his squad was not available to him during the FBD so team selection might be a shot in the dark.
Anyway the silly season is over so let it roll  :D
Will be an interesting finale with us going for Promotion and yet needing to win to stay up ;)

Cant remember ever playing yee in the NFL, even though I wont be there its a great game to see where we stand and huge crowd hopefully.

I know this was a close fought division last yr but it has some poor teams.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sammymaguire

this will turn out to be one of the most competitive leagues i reckon, everyone can be anyone on a given day, I think Wexford and Offaly will struggle, Cavan and Louth could be dark horses, Sligo are also rans and Antrim will miss their St Galls lads too much at the beginning, Roscommon are in fairly bad shape (as usual)

Final Table to look something like this I reckon
                          P           Pts
Louth                   7           10
Fermanagh           7           9
Antrim                 7           8
Sligo                    7           8
Cavan                  7           5
Roscommon         7            4
Wexford              7            2
Offaly                  7            0
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 01, 2010, 10:57:44 PM
Good luck to the Roscommon and Cavan teams as they have Declan Corcoran reffing it I see from drici's post!!!

Awwww for FCUK Sake ...that's all we need.  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lawrence of Knockbride

All building up to a grand finale in Markievicz on 11th April when we cross Corr Shliabh to beard the Magpies in their den.
Seriously and realistically we are looking to at least stay in the division by avoiding relegation and if we get 4 wins and end the NFL with a reasonable settled team it will be progress.
This was the tightest of all the divisions last year with only a few points between top and bottom and I suspect we'll see a similar close finish again.
The teams with 4 home games will be at an advantage .
We face the Cyaaaavan biys on Sunday and Fergie's problem is that anything up to half his squad was not available to him during the FBD so team selection might be a shot in the dark.
Anyway the silly season is over so let it roll

Hilarious. ::)

mountainboii

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 02, 2010, 06:02:04 PM
this will turn out to be one of the most competitive leagues i reckon, everyone can be anyone on a given day, I think Wexford and Offaly will struggle, Cavan and Louth could be dark horses, Sligo are also rans and Antrim will miss their St Galls lads too much at the beginning, Roscommon are in fairly bad shape (as usual)

P           Pts

Not a chance Louth will top this division.

Fermanagh to win it and one from Sligo and Antrim to go up with them.

mylestheslasher

I think Cavan will do well to stay in the division but I suppose you never know what would happen if you won a game or two early and got some momentum.

Gold

we'll do well to stay in the division without the galls boys.

i'd love to think we could get promoted but dont think we will--we cant afford to be missing half our team
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 02, 2010, 06:02:04 PM

P           Pts
:D Also rans, a team full of players in there mid to early 20s, who ran kerry close in there back garden and won div4.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on February 02, 2010, 11:51:18 PM
BTW, I can't see Offaly doing as poorly as you reckon, sammy. 0 points my bollix.

This could be a very tight division.

Will indeed be a very tight division. I can see a team getting promoted with 8 points or relegated with 6. Or any team could win or lose all seven of their games by a point.

Will be happy enough if Antrim avoid relegation, although that will be an achievement without the milltown men. Nothing really to fear from any of those teams with a full hand, but that's something Bradley doesn't have at the minute.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

sammymaguire

nice to see the reaction from a passionate gang of division 3 county supporters! I will more than likely be way off the mark with my little league table, Louth might be relegated and Sligo could walk the league.... looking forward to seeing Fermanagh at Brewster against Roscommon next Saturday evening week, and Louth on the 14th and then Sligo which is the 2nd last game of the campaign and could be a real hum-dinger (we don't tend to play Sligo that often) and hopefully will get to see them at Breffni too.

Will hopefully be refreshing after their poor league campaign from last season which was tough to watch.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

rossie mad

I am really looking forward to sunday heading off to the hyde.

I can see a very tight league with a few suprises in terms of results.
I fancy us to beat cavan,offaly and wexford but will find it tough against the other sides.
Cant see us beating fermanagh or louth and will find it very tough to beat antrim even at home.
Sligo in my eyes will be hard stopped and i wont have to much confidence travelling to markevicz especially if they are flying.
last year for sligo was a big step after the debacle two years ago and i expect them to continue that progress.