Paul Galvin

Started by sammymaguire, January 28, 2010, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 28, 2010, 03:46:58 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2010, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: full back on January 28, 2010, 03:23:20 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2010, 12:05:14 PM
What was the student supposed to have done? The wee fella was probably pushing Galvin's button. None story.

Is this a p1ss-take ziggy?

Looks like the student deserved it (whatever it was) from what you say ::)

Didn't say deserved it. Just meant, I'd doubt he's a innocent wee bun, that wouldn't say boo to a mouse.

Do bad people actually say 'boo' when they see a mouse?  ???

I do. It scares them out of the house.
Testing Accessibility

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PM

...maybe because the normal GAA player who isnt a professional and doesnt have the money the soccer players do - dont get caught up in the bright light drug/sexual deviant culture that seems to be rife amongst younger soccer players
that these stories are not printed about GAA players is becuase they dont exist !

With respect, that is spectacularly naive. If you think that a small number of intercounty players aren't partial to the odd pill or potion, recreational or performance enhancing, or dipping the lad where it shouldn't be, you are living in la la land.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMas for the fella getting caught with drugs - he didnt even have or own them , I know him 15 years and he told me what the craic was.
there is an anti garda thing against him locally - thats his own fault, but he story was rubbish , so much so that he was never 'done' for it and the DCB told him to not go after the cops as he and they had enough bad press over it.

Well I also know a close friend of his and while the thrust of what you say is true, he does put himself in these situations and he isn't the only player up to no good.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMso paul galvin is the subject of an over hyping of a non story. If that an anti -gaa bias...well looking at what the indo print at other times regarding GAA , I'd say there is an element of truth.

From within the GAA desk in the Indo? Hmmm.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMUntil GAA fans start arranging meetings to fight each other and throw pigs heads etc etc, you have to say that soccer has a bigger problem off the field than GAA. News stories dont exactly reflect that- well the indo news stories anyhow...

Most soccer people would tell you that the tabloids, the Helald in particular blow 'hooliganism' in Ireland way out of proportion while ignoring it in England. Its interesting that you decry a media agenda against the GAA but take as gospal salacious stories about soccer....

You can't have it both ways....

Farrandeelin

Galvin is one of the most despised teachers in his school I believe.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on January 28, 2010, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PM

...maybe because the normal GAA player who isnt a professional and doesnt have the money the soccer players do - dont get caught up in the bright light drug/sexual deviant culture that seems to be rife amongst younger soccer players
that these stories are not printed about GAA players is becuase they dont exist !

With respect, that is spectacularly naive. If you think that a small number of intercounty players aren't partial to the odd pill or potion, recreational or performance enhancing, or dipping the lad where it shouldn't be, you are living in la la land.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMas for the fella getting caught with drugs - he didnt even have or own them , I know him 15 years and he told me what the craic was.
there is an anti garda thing against him locally - thats his own fault, but he story was rubbish , so much so that he was never 'done' for it and the DCB told him to not go after the cops as he and they had enough bad press over it.

Well I also know a close friend of his and while the thrust of what you say is true, he does put himself in these situations and he isn't the only player up to no good.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMso paul galvin is the subject of an over hyping of a non story. If that an anti -gaa bias...well looking at what the indo print at other times regarding GAA , I'd say there is an element of truth.

From within the GAA desk in the Indo? Hmmm.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 01:28:33 PMUntil GAA fans start arranging meetings to fight each other and throw pigs heads etc etc, you have to say that soccer has a bigger problem off the field than GAA. News stories dont exactly reflect that- well the indo news stories anyhow...

Most soccer people would tell you that the tabloids, the Helald in particular blow 'hooliganism' in Ireland way out of proportion while ignoring it in England. Its interesting that you decry a media agenda against the GAA but take as gospal salacious stories about soccer....

You can't have it both ways....
Exactly – you cant have it both ways (though you are branching off on a whole diff tangent by trying to bring in the notion of GAA and perf enhancing stuff etc - very silly imo).
The normal behaviour of normal people is far removed from the antics of professional soccer players and their drug fuelled exploits and disgraceful antics regarding young ladies. While I don't like the media and agree that they hype up things – there is a large element of truth to these antics – and it's a huge difference from what they get up to in comparison to what gaa players and normal people get up to. That's my point.
If normal people are not reported upon for taking drugs/fighting etc etc – then why should GAA players who are usually not doing half as much as some of the antics going on from 'normal people'.
As for the player in question ,you have a 'source' I spoke to the lad himself. I think I know who I'd trust there ! With him its drink and bad manners.

The 'GAA desk; within the indo doesn't mean much.
Sure aren't you posting on a GAA board...
By definition that would mean you are a GAA fan – in reality its obv you are not !
Whatever about hyping up 'soccer violence' in Ireland , I have seen the aftermath of phibsboro, I have been to soccer matches, I have spoken to 'rovers fans' who delight in talkig about a few scraps they get in – esp against bohs and shells etc. Was the pigs head a makey up thing?
Soccer violence doesn't need much hyping up – though it isn't that bad thankfully (prob due to the miniscule crowds that attend the eircom league or whatever it is called these days.

So the galvin story plus the story on the Dublin lad (thanks for the reminder and example) are two examples of non stories being hyped up by the indo/media.
Tabloid stuff – then again the target audience of tabloid journalism is the soccer fan level...

dublinfella

So what you are saying is that when the media hype something up about the GAA its wrong and a disgrace, when they do it about soccer, its actually all true.

O-Kay. Do you not think thats a slightly hypocritical stance?

But to the other point, if you are seriously trying to say that there aren't intercounty players out there who treat women as objects, well then you are seriously talking through your swiss. Go to Coppers the night after the Dubs crash out of Sam.

You have never heard of a prominent pair of GAA playing brothers, for example, stick someone in hospital and have the media basically hush it up? No well known hurler who needed anger management treatment after maiming someone? Get real man. The Galvin story is unusual precisely because we rarely read about GAA players who commit sin off the park.

supersarsfields

What was the student supposed to have done? The wee fella was probably pushing Galvin's button. None story.

Didn't say deserved it. Just meant, I'd doubt he's a innocent wee bun, that wouldn't say boo to a mouse.

Ahhhh Ziggy come on now!!

Boo to a Goose

Because of the supposed stupidity of the bird of that name, the word 'goose' has meant a simpleton since the 1500s. The word 'boo' in this context is the sudden, loud version of it...the one adults sometimes use to surprise or 'frighten' children...rather than the disapproving anti-cheering version. So, 'saying boo to a goose' - whether human or avian - is about the least brave thing one could imagine doing and, as a result, very shy people are accused of being unable to do even that.

INDIANA

Quote from: dublinfella on January 28, 2010, 04:25:35 PM
So what you are saying is that when the media hype something up about the GAA its wrong and a disgrace, when they do it about soccer, its actually all true.

O-Kay. Do you not think thats a slightly hypocritical stance?

But to the other point, if you are seriously trying to say that there aren't intercounty players out there who treat women as objects, well then you are seriously talking through your swiss. Go to Coppers the night after the Dubs crash out of Sam.

You have never heard of a prominent pair of GAA playing brothers, for example, stick someone in hospital and have the media basically hush it up? No well known hurler who needed anger management treatment after maiming someone? Get real man. The Galvin story is unusual precisely because we rarely read about GAA players who commit sin off the park.

On the contrary that hurler made plenty of newspapers. As for Coppers- cmon the place was a cattle market when I was going to it and by all accounts it still the same today.  ;D

thejuice

We used to get the glanteoir thrown at us as well. It was an effective disiplinary tool, certaily did the trick and no one's precious little darling was left damaged psycologically or otherwise by it.

Glad I read the indo for free.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2010, 04:55:10 PM

Ahhhh Ziggy come on now!!

Boo to a Goose

Because of the supposed stupidity of the bird of that name, the word 'goose' has meant a simpleton since the 1500s. The word 'boo' in this context is the sudden, loud version of it...the one adults sometimes use to surprise or 'frighten' children...rather than the disapproving anti-cheering version. So, 'saying boo to a goose' - whether human or avian - is about the least brave thing one could imagine doing and, as a result, very shy people are accused of being unable to do even that.

Ah damn it!!

Testing Accessibility

haranguerer

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 04:15:46 PM

As for the player in question ,you have a 'source' I spoke to the lad himself. I think I know who I'd trust there ! With him its drink and bad manners.

Well if he wasnt doing anything (which I find hard to swallow Lynchbhoy, tbh), wasn't the only other person there also an intercounty footballer? I.e Even if the name was wrong, the headlines were correct?

Anyway, my own take on it is that amateur players shouldnt be subjected  media scrutiny like this simply because they're amateur. Noone has any right to tell these people how they should act in their own time - they themselves are only role-models because they have donated their time, they should be thanked for that and left alone.

A professional sportsman, however, is being compensated for all the rigours of life as a professional, including media intrusion.

BennyHarp

I have no love for Galvin as a footballer and personally think that he is one of the most over rated players of this era, but I would defend his right to privacy in this matter. If he has a problem in his working life it has no need to be discussed on a GAA discussion board and definately not to be the front page of a tabloid newspaper!
That was never a square ball!!

longrunsthefox

He could be in a difficult enough hanlin according to paper this boy was split and blood running from him... and had to go to doctor. Jees! Galvin is a total idiot.

BennyHarp

I don't think I added too much to that particular discussion and I think I wasn't commenting or discussing in a negative way Galvins incident. It was a flippant remark that I made while quickly popping onto the site. My more serious attitude is that the private life of amateur players should be left private! They don't deserve their problems to be discussed by random people!
That was never a square ball!!

longrunsthefox

I didn't realise the boy was split. I think that makes it different. If a teacher split a student I think it would be discussed whether he was a GAA star or not. Still I think he's his own worst enemy.   

Nally Stand

Talk about being torn between my dislike for Paul Galvin and my complete contempt for that rag of a paper. I'll just say both were in the wrong!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore