Paul Galvin

Started by sammymaguire, January 28, 2010, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: INDIANA on January 28, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
Indo has crossed the line here. Yet agin.

It appears soccer players can kick each other in the head and still make the backpages. While the personal life of an amateur Gaa player makes the news pages.

Isn't the editor of the Indo a Kerryman? Talking about hanging your own out to dry

Come on, soccer players are all over the front pages on a regular basis. As are rugby players.

Its quite simple. The papers fill space with GAA stories because fans want to read it. If you object to this sort of story about a player, vote with your wallets. If enough GAA fans refuse to buy the Indo, these storys will stop. 

Also, not starting threads on these stories might help too...

bingobus

Galvin is actually a hero in this case,

he spotted a large wasp/bee around the young lad and knew he was allergic to them, so he threw the duster to chase the wasp/bee off...... he hasn't confirmed if it was the same bee/wasp that he chased from the ref in 2008.

;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on January 28, 2010, 12:41:05 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 28, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
Indo has crossed the line here. Yet agin.

It appears soccer players can kick each other in the head and still make the backpages. While the personal life of an amateur Gaa player makes the news pages.

Isn't the editor of the Indo a Kerryman? Talking about hanging your own out to dry

Come on, soccer players are all over the front pages on a regular basis. As are rugby players.

Its quite simple. The papers fill space with GAA stories because fans want to read it. If you object to this sort of story about a player, vote with your wallets. If enough GAA fans refuse to buy the Indo, these storys will stop. 

Also, not starting threads on these stories might help too...
bit of a difference between your average soccer player story (usually sexual misconduct or drugs)
or rugby (eye gouging) and throwing a duster at a pupil !

accidently bought the indo on sunday instead of the tribune and it isnt even good enough to be a chip wrapper !

agree with heff and indiana - they have had some kind of anti-GAA agenda for a while now !

cornafean

Is this the same Paul Galvin who said a few weeks ago that he wants to be treated like a professional athlete and would be insulted if someone called him an amateur?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 12:55:27 PM

bit of a difference between your average soccer player story (usually sexual misconduct or drugs)

I agree, but the principal is the same. The media are filling a market. GAA fans want to read about GAA players, and like it or not with the Irish media for every 10 positive articles, you will get one from the gutter.

All in all I think the Irish media give the GAA a soft ride compared to what they do to soccer. How many stories have there been in the press about séx and drugs in the GAA? I can only think of one, and the player was arrested in his car for possesson, so was going to be in the papers regardless. We all know it happens....

The story is bad form, but lets not lose the run of ourselves about media agendas.

ziggysego

I never bother with these British Tabloid styled newspapers and it's a sorry sight to see it creeping into Ireland.

There's no real news in them, just sensational nonsense that will be forgotten about tomorrow. Unfortunately there are people who will buy them. As dublinfella says, as long as they do, they'll continue to print these non-stories.
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on January 28, 2010, 01:20:19 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2010, 12:55:27 PM

I agree, but the principal is the same. The media are filling a market. GAA fans want to read about GAA players, and like it or not with the Irish media for every 10 positive articles, you will get one from the gutter.

All in all I think the Irish media give the GAA a soft ride compared to what they do to soccer. How many stories have there been in the press about séx and drugs in the GAA? I can only think of one, and the player was arrested in his car for possesson, so was going to be in the papers regardless. We all know it happens....

The story is bad form, but lets not lose the run of ourselves about media agendas.
...maybe because the normal GAA player who isnt a professional and doesnt have the money the soccer players do - dont get caught up in the bright light drug/sexual deviant culture that seems to be rife amongst younger soccer players
that these stories are not printed about GAA players is becuase they dont exist !

as for the fella getting caught with drugs - he didnt even have or own them , I know him 15 years and he told me what the craic was.
there is an anti garda thing against him locally - thats his own fault, but he story was rubbish , so much so that he was never 'done' for it and the DCB told him to not go after the cops as he and they had enough bad press over it.

so paul galvin is the subject of an over hyping of a non story. If that an anti -gaa bias...well looking at what the indo print at other times regarding GAA , I'd say there is an element of truth.

Until GAA fans start arranging meetings to fight each other and throw pigs heads etc etc, you have to say that soccer has a bigger problem off the field than GAA. News stories dont exactly reflect that- well the indo news stories anyhow...

Main Street

Should Kerry be worried about Galvin's aim?

Next headline -  'Galvin driving madness'
- failed to indicate when turning left.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2010, 01:33:26 PM

Funny you mention that, i was reading the paper the other day and Eoin Bradley of Derry was stopped and got 3 pints and a fine for talking on the phone while driving,

i just said to myself, f**k they have ittle to be writing about

Galvin throwing dusters, and bradley talking on the phone
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2010, 01:33:26 PM

funnily enough I also think that Galvin is over maligned within GAA circles
let alone the papers getting in on the act

slow news days these days - but gutter tabloid reporting seems to have overtaken proper journalism

drici

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 28, 2010, 01:57:30 PM

Eoin Bradley of Derry was stopped and got 3 pints and a fine for talking on the phone while driving.

The pints might have cheered him up a wee bit.

Onion Bag

Quote from: drici on January 28, 2010, 02:12:59 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on January 28, 2010, 01:57:30 PM

Eoin Bradley of Derry was stopped and got 3 pints and a fine for talking on the phone while driving.

The pints might have cheered him up a wee bit.

:D :D only after reading that myself, you know what i meant, POINTS
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2010, 12:05:14 PM
What was the student supposed to have done? The wee fella was probably pushing Galvin's button. None story.

Is this a p1ss-take ziggy?

Looks like the student deserved it (whatever it was) from what you say ::)

ziggysego

Quote from: full back on January 28, 2010, 03:23:20 PM
What was the student supposed to have done? The wee fella was probably pushing Galvin's button. None story.

Didn't say deserved it. Just meant, I'd doubt he's a innocent wee bun, that wouldn't say boo to a mouse.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2010, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: full back on January 28, 2010, 03:23:20 PM

Didn't say deserved it. Just meant, I'd doubt he's a innocent wee bun, that wouldn't say boo to a mouse.

Do bad people actually say 'boo' when they see a mouse?  ???