iPad unveiled

Started by ONeill, January 27, 2010, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

??? what was there to resist against then?

oh! do you mean the boss or the boss? If it's the latter or the former come to think of it, they'll be looking for plenty in return  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Megaman

Quote from: theskull1 on March 08, 2012, 10:36:30 AM
??? what was there to resist against then?

oh! do you mean the boss or the boss? If it's the latter or the former come to think of it, they'll be looking for plenty in return  :)

not much resisting, just a figure of speach !!!

feck, theres no chance of THE BOSS fitting the bill. cant start to think how many brownie points i would need for that.

offtheground

Am I right in saying the 4s has a higher resolution screen - 960 x 640 pixels at 326ppi, compared to the ipad3 - 2048 x1536 @ 264ppi
Is the pixels per inch the best comparison to make?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 07, 2012, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: amallon on March 01, 2012, 10:25:30 AM
Android for me too, it supports flash out of the box and is far less restrictive in terms of what apple won't let you do with your own kit.  A lot of 'experts' online are predicting that there will be more Andorid apps than apple ones by late summer. 

On the negative side some of the cheaper Android devices are terrible, slow and poor quality touchscreens.  Also Apple vet their apps more closely which is something Android market could do with improving.

If you are in the market for a top quality tablet the Samsung galaxy is well worth a serious look. 

As always it will be interesting to watch apple's annoucement to see what new additions they have added.
The price of having a (relatively) open platform to be fair - and it allows for it to be ubiquitous on phones from high-end to budget. Versions up to 2.x were never really designed in mind for tablet displays and Honeycomb never really caught on. ICS is the first serious attempt at it. Some of the budget tablets from the likes of Elonex and Binatone were based on very stripped down hardware and 1.x firmware (in theory upgradable). Apple OTOH make sure their hardware and software are tightly bonded together, this has some advantages and disadvantages for users and developers depending on which way you look at it.

I seem to remember you recommending the Orange San Francisco phone on here before Fionntamhnach as the best budget smartphone out there, which I subsequently got my hands on and it's doing a fine job for what I want. What do you recommend for a budget 10" ICS tablet that will take usb? Nothing stands out from initial research.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

tbrick18

I bought this the other day....wanted to see what the fuss is about but didnt want to spend a fortune

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5086706/Trail/searchtext%3EARCHOS.htm

8 inch screen.
LED backlit display.
Multi-touch screen.
Resolution 1024 x 768 pixels.
Support for simultaneous display of multiple languages.
0.5GB RAM.
Android 3.2 operating system.
1GHz processor.
B/g/n wireless/WiFi enabled.
Bluetooth.
3.5mm stereo headphone jack.
Built-in speaker.
Microphone.
1 USB port.
8GB flash memory with expandable memory slot.
1 Micro USB port.
Built-in front camera.
Up to 36 hours battery life (depending on usage).
1cm thin.
Size H27.3, W24.7cm.
Weight 1kg.
EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 690590518407.

I have to say it works really well, very responsive and the screen is grand.
Considering it'll probably be the kids playing games on it flat out it's perfect.
Now having had a go at it, to me it's a glorified smart phone without the phone. I still don't see the attraction of them...but I suppose young'ns these days spend their time on youtube and facebook and listening to music....so it's fine for all that.
The fact is Android is cheaper and IMO can do everything the IPAD can (plus a bit more with flash) at the expense of some more high end graphics.
As much as I think the Android tablet is grand, I wouldn't be excited by it but it has confirmed to me anyway that the IPAD is just an overpriced bit of gear with some very clever marketing behind it which has sucked in the masses.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 09, 2012, 04:26:09 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 08, 2012, 12:10:04 PMI seem to remember you recommending the Orange San Francisco phone on here before Fionntamhnach as the best budget smartphone out there, which I subsequently got my hands on and it's doing a fine job for what I want. What do you recommend for a budget 10" ICS tablet that will take usb? Nothing stands out from initial research.
I don't own a touch-screen tablet and I've only had a short amount of time going through a few of them so I don't really know. Word of mouth on tech forums is usually a good way of hearing about these things too, that's where I heard about the OSF/ZTE Blade.

Snap. Was looking at the Galaxy Mini until I did some trawling online to find out about the Blade. Nothing standing out from a quick look so might hold off another while yet, thanks anyway.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lurganblue

I recently bought the archos 101 tablet as a cheap alternative to iPad. For me it does everything I need. I can watch the iplayer etc, browse the Internet and read books. I'm not saying it is as slick as the iPad at all but it does the basics well

BennyCake

I'm thinking of buying the iPad or something similar. Basically I want it for general browsing, iTunes youtube etc, also I want to be able to watch the BBC iplayer, RTE and TG4 players.

I wondered if I would be able to use photoshop on these tablets, to work on a few photographs from time to time? Or would the memory space taken up by photoshop (and RAW files) be too big for the iPad and similar tablets to cope with?

Any advice/recommendations?

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on March 14, 2012, 08:13:15 PM
I'm thinking of buying the iPad or something similar. Basically I want it for general browsing, iTunes youtube etc, also I want to be able to watch the BBC iplayer, RTE and TG4 players.

I wondered if I would be able to use photoshop on these tablets, to work on a few photographs from time to time? Or would the memory space taken up by photoshop (and RAW files) be too big for the iPad and similar tablets to cope with?

Any advice/recommendations?

You can use Photoshop Touch, a trimmed version of Photoshop or a multitude of other photo edit applications.

Minder

What is the best software for putting ripped films from laptop to IPad?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Just use freeware VLC as your player on the iPad,
even comes with Apple's approval :)

Minder

Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2012, 06:11:45 PM
Just use freeware VLC as your player on the iPad,
even comes with Apple's approval :)

Cheers had a look at it there, it doesn't seem to recognise some of my movies.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

What format do you have that vlc doesn't recognise?

JimStynes

The woman got the new ipad, can anyone recommend a good case/cover for the new ipad. Also is there any other things you recommend buying for an iPad that you have found handy.