Mid West Radio (MWR)

Started by Shrewdness, January 26, 2010, 08:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

What do the Mayo people on here think of Mid West Radio?

Heard Paul Claffey's show a few times recently and couldn't believe the amount of self promotion he indulged in.
He only seems to mainly play songs by 'singers' who are going on one of his music weekends away, and seems to continually push the likes of Mike Denver, John Mc Nicholl and anyone going on his weekedns away.

He never shuts his mouth about the Royal Theatre in Castlebar, and sometimes MWR sounds like nothing more than a promotional vehicle for the above venue.

The sports department was never the same since the passing of Willie 'The Shoe' and is a pale shadow of what it once was.

Any other opinions?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 26, 2010, 08:09:16 PM

Heard Paul Claffey's show a few times recently and couldn't believe the amount of self promotion he indulged in.
He only seems to mainly play songs by 'singers' who are going on one of his music weekends away, and seems to continually push the likes of Mike Denver, John Mc Nicholl and anyone going on his weekedns away.

He never shuts his mouth about the Royal Theatre in Castlebar, and sometimes MWR sounds like nothing more than a promotional vehicle for the above venue.

The sports department was never the same since the passing of Willie 'The Shoe' and is a pale shadow of what it once was.
Any other opinions?

Not a Mayo person but tune in occasionally for GAA commentaries. Even if things have declined in the sports section just be glad you're not "served" by Ocean FM. The sports coverage is a complete joke.

ballinaman

Can't stand it. Country and western jamboree round the clock followed by the death has occurred, the death has occurred, the death has occurred...etc. It has it's niche market of the 50+ and thats it.

I'd listen to it for a Mayo match and that would be about it.

RMDrive

Thanks for putting MWR in brackets in the title. It has helped significantly with my understanding of the situation.

MWR is a local radio station doing the same as all the other local stations. Don't see what the problem is.

Shrewdness

Quote from: ballinaman on January 26, 2010, 08:39:42 PM
Can't stand it. Country and western jamboree round the clock followed by the death has occurred, the death has occurred, the death has occurred...etc. It has it's niche market of the 50+ and thats it.

This exactly sums up my own thoughts on it in general. A lot of the so called news seems to be read directly from that day's newspapers, and as i mentioned earlier, the presenter from 11am to 1pm shoves crappy country singers, and his own business interests down people's throats for the full 2 hours.

Lets hope when their licence is up for renewal that a new consortium emerges from somewhere and gets rid of the current incumbants.

Geoff Tipps

QuoteCan't stand it. Country and western jamboree round the clock followed by the death has occurred, the death has occurred, the death has occurred...etc. It has it's niche market of the 50+ and thats it.

Couldn't have put it better myself

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 26, 2010, 08:09:16 PM

Any other opinions?

f**k me, I was going to refrain from posting for another week, but you've hit the nail on the head. Angelina whatsername Lord Jesus Christ, I cannot suffer her for the sports. Criticise at your peril and the text won't be read out!!! As for Claffey, nothing but a moaning whingebag who depresses me any time I listen to him. I like Tommy Marren though, he's the best of them - he does his job well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 26, 2010, 08:48:25 PM

This exactly sums up my own thoughts on it in general. A lot of the so called news seems to be read directly from that day's newspapers, and as i mentioned earlier, the presenter from 11am to 1pm shoves crappy country singers, and his own business interests down people's throats for the full 2 hours.

Lets hope when their licence is up for renewal that a new consortium emerges from somewhere and gets rid of the current incumbants.

Dont mean to pick on one poster, but couldn't agree at all.
I personally don't like the music they play, and they do use a lot of advertisement, but there's a hell of a lot of people (round rural areas anyway) who listen for exactly the same reasons that most people have complained about here.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

I hope whenever my death occurs that it will be on it!!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 26, 2010, 08:48:25 PM

As I alluded to above - be careful what you wish for. I was delighted when their sister station NWR lost the licence to Ocean FM. Little did I realise that Ocean would be significantly worse.

Farrandeelin

Paul Claffey was outraged at the time! What's wrong with Ocean seánie?

mannix

"A red short horned heifer is missing in the knock area, contact the staff of the butcher shop in ballyhaunis if you spot her." 
"Now, billy fitzpatrick is standing by in the "stadium of no light" with angelina mchugh as mayo have just kicked off this years adventure, where will it end this year you may ask, well here to answer that is billy."

"TH,TH,Thank you there Adrian, I think conor took the wrong option there, he had 12 men lining up unmarked to take a pot and what does he do but take a goal with a point at his beckoning, this is classic end to end stuff, am I making sense there, Angelina? do I sound like I really want Mayo to lose even if they are winning?"

RogerMilla

the death has occurred of roger milla aged 97 of frankfurt , germany formerly of ********* Co. Mayo , the body will be removed to the chuch at ********* , he leaves behind a 19 year old mistress ,10 sons and a daughter who is currently Goalkeeper for the Mayo Ladies. His dying words were " at least i lived to see johhno deliver the three in a row..."

MWR is utter shite by the way but it serves its own demographic well.

prewtna

Quote from: RogerMilla on January 27, 2010, 08:24:26 AM
the death has occurred of roger milla aged 97 of frankfurt , germany formerly of ********* Co. Mayo , the body will be removed to the chuch at ********* , he leaves behind a 19 year old mistress ,10 sons and a daughter who is currently Goalkeeper for the Mayo Ladies. His dying words were " at least i lived to see johhno deliver the three in a row..."

MWR is utter shite by the way but it serves its own demographic well.

exactly. its utter tripe but there is a market for that out there. to be fair it keeps a lot of older people company all day long. if it does nothing more than that, it can be regarded as a success.

i cant stand it, but i wont begrudge it to those who do

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 26, 2010, 11:46:20 PM
Paul Claffey was outraged at the time! What's wrong with Ocean seánie?

The sports coverage is simply atrocious. You don't even get club GAA results on it most of the time - NWR used to have reports from senior league games. If you listen to a live commentary its really hard to know what the score is. what's going on - terrible altogether. Only thing you would know is if its a point cos the regualr commentator nealry every time a point is scored says "put up the white flag" to display his in depth knowledge of gaelic games. Bad and all as that is you should hear him commentating on Sligo Rovers! I wouldn't have much interest but someone rang me  and told me to tune in for the laugh - it was a scream. I know Owenmoresider will back me up on this appraisal of Ocean.

I will say that the music is more to my taste than with NWR but if I want music I'll listen to 2FM, i102-104 or Today FM.