Dublin CB reject Eamon Fennell's transfer request - were they right or wrong ?

Started by orangeman, January 26, 2010, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Were Dublin CB right or wrong to reject the transfer request by Fennell ?

CB were 100% right.
48 (56.5%)
If someone wants to move, they should be allowed to leave. It's a player's right.
37 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2010, 11:59:26 PM
It's a bullshit issue. Club football in Dublin is a joke as County Players swan in for 2 games in a year and then whatever championship matches come up. Fennell will play as little football for Vincent's as he would for O'Toole's and the lure of a Dublin Championship is the only reason he wants to go.

He has no case for moving clubs on a whim and to do so is completely against the ethos of the GAA which is about Community at the end of the day... not yeah I'll be a part of your community as long as I win something. If you're good enough you'll play for Dublin end of!

Its a pity some of the other contributors don't share your wisdom. That is it in a nutshell.

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on January 26, 2010, 11:23:14 AM
Last night, Dublin chairman Ger Harrington used his casting vote to reject a transfer request from Eamon Fennell to join St. Vincent's.

Were they right or wrong to reject it and was their reasons correct given the other transfers that have gone through in different counties ?.

The Dublin County Committee has issued a statement regarding the denial of Eamon Fennell's transfer application.

The statement read: 'The Dublin County Committee last evening considered an application from Eamon Fennell to transfer from O'Toole's to St Vincent's GAA Club.

'A player who wishes to leave one club to join another must apply to the County Committee for a transfer.

'A County Committee has the right, acting within its Bye-Law, to grant or not to grant an application for transfer. The committee refused to grant the transfer application.'

The Dublin Transfer Byelaw states: 'As the GAA is community centred, based on the allegiance of its members to their local clubs, the object of which is to promote the Association's aims at local level, the transfer rules in the Official Guide and this Bye-Law reflect that ethos.

'A player is considered to always owe allegiance and loyalty to the club he first legally participated with in club competition.'

Heard them give out about it on NewsTalk aroung 7.15 saying it was rediculous and that he should be allowed to go whereever he wants as should all club players. There was no mention of why the rule was in place or what the broader effect of transfers have. They quoted the part in bold above. I'd say it's probably an edited version of the actuall Bye-Law. Where did you take the piece from OM? If it was released by the DCB it was slack.

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on January 27, 2010, 12:12:31 AM
Quote from: orangeman on January 26, 2010, 11:23:14 AM
Last night, Dublin chairman Ger Harrington used his casting vote to reject a transfer request from Eamon Fennell to join St. Vincent's.

Were they right or wrong to reject it and was their reasons correct given the other transfers that have gone through in different counties ?.

The Dublin County Committee has issued a statement regarding the denial of Eamon Fennell's transfer application.

The statement read: 'The Dublin County Committee last evening considered an application from Eamon Fennell to transfer from O'Toole's to St Vincent's GAA Club.

'A player who wishes to leave one club to join another must apply to the County Committee for a transfer.

'A County Committee has the right, acting within its Bye-Law, to grant or not to grant an application for transfer. The committee refused to grant the transfer application.'

The Dublin Transfer Byelaw states: 'As the GAA is community centred, based on the allegiance of its members to their local clubs, the object of which is to promote the Association's aims at local level, the transfer rules in the Official Guide and this Bye-Law reflect that ethos.

'A player is considered to always owe allegiance and loyalty to the club he first legally participated with in club competition.'

Heard them give out about it on NewsTalk aroung 7.15 saying it was rediculous and that he should be allowed to go whereever he wants as should all club players. There was no mention of why the rule was in place or what the broader effect of transfers have. They quoted the part in bold above. I'd say it's probably an edited version of the actuall Bye-Law. Where did you take the piece from OM? If it was released by the DCB it was slack.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0126/fennelle.html

Declan

Was it not that he was suspended by O'Tooles and therefore ineligible to play for Dublin.

What happened if he became coach/manager as the DCB seem to have no problem with that? Though I'm assuming then that he'd have to register as a player as well and the same issue would arise.

QuoteHe has no case for moving clubs on a whim and to do so is completely against the ethos of the GAA which is about Community at the end of the day

And O'Tooles are completely in tune with the ethos of the association? I'm finding that difficult to reconcile that with their actions in this case.

This thing of owing allegiance to your club is a worthy aspiration and very laudable but if relationships have completely broken down is this the best resolution? The spin from O'Tooles saying they would not have a problem with Fennell if he came back to me is BS.

On reflection my symapthies in this case lie with Fennell considering he literally gave up a year of his playing career and God knows what will happen yet. 

INDIANA

Declan there was no breakdown in communication when his club made 2 promotion playoff finals in a row. The breakdown in communciation only came when they refused his transfer to vincents. My understanding of it is they were prepared to let him transfer to either of the other 2 requests he initially put in.

The original transfer request as nothing to do with any dispute. That is just paper talk. There was no dispute until he wanted to go to vins.

I'm not in favour of this because I want to see us developing our own players. and we've enough young players now to do that. We don't need another player.
O Tooles got him onto the starting championship 15 in 2008 for Dublin, it got him on the dublin u21's and he will be starting for dublin this year.

In relation to the suspension Declan I don't think O Tooles will go down that route. Because it wouldn't go down well in other quarters and could haunt O Tooles in the future.

Declan

QuoteThere was no dispute until he wanted to go to vins.

Is it really as simple as not letting him transfer to the dreaded enemy then?

INDIANA

Quote from: Declan on January 27, 2010, 09:31:51 AM
QuoteThere was no dispute until he wanted to go to vins.

Is it really as simple as not letting him transfer to the dreaded enemy then?

From what I can gather yes- we are loathed and detested Declan ;D. Based on everything I know had the original Ballymun transfer been let go forward it would have gone through. Unless someone has info to the contrary on that.

We don't need him Declan. One of our lads was midfield on the Dub minors last year - hes about 6ft 4-5. Fennell would only play 7/8 games max in a winning year for us such is the joke regarding county players and club football in Dublin. I don't see the need. But its indicative of the shambles surrounding transfers. The DCB has sat on its hands for years over this.

Declan

Quotewe are loathed and detested Declan

Ye brought that  on yourselves ;)

Agree 100% re the shambles and the inactivityof the DCB over the years

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Declan on January 27, 2010, 08:12:19 AM
And O'Tooles are completely in tune with the ethos of the association? I'm finding that difficult to reconcile that with their actions in this case.

yep, and the same O'Tooles that brought in Shiner Brennan and Eamonn Morrissey from Kilkenny. And more recently, Liam and Kevin Ryan from other Dublin clubs (Liam from Erins Isle, another senior club). One would think theres some sort of double-standards by O'Tooles here. I also remember they being involved in a dispute with Trinity Gaels over a couple of players who wanted to transfer across (Brian Mulhare and Padraig Tierney). TG objected and they both ended up staying.

Indiana is completely right though - its the fact that its 3 clubs in 3 years thats hardest of all to stomach. And its this I'd imagine that influenced a lot of the negative voters at the CB meeting.

O'Tooles are not a bad football side. I saw them against my own club a couple of years back in a championship quarter-final (I think it was). They should have beaten us. The only reason they didn't is because Fennell lost the head and got sent off with about 15 minutes to go (Indiana - you'll remember the year - youse bet us in the semi-final that year - Gilroy did a big dive and got a dodgy penalty - it was the year Setanta showed Dublin games live).

Anyway Fennell needs to stay put. End of story.

INDIANA

2006 BW. UCD beat us with a last minute point in the final that year- that was the payback unfortunately!

Don't think there is any top football/hurling club team iin Dublin that hasn't brought in players. Its like a cattle market every nov-dec each year. Gone beyond the point of no return. I've no problem with a genuine dispute but the internal transfer list in Dublin every year is nearly worse than the outside county one.

magpie seanie

Transfers within a county to me are a bit of a joke and should really be almost impossible to get. Unless you are talking about Cork or Donegal or some other big county geography wise I can see no reason bar glory hunting. If the players current club agrees then fine but if he can't convince them then tough.

Glad to see Dublin County Board actually voted on this. If (and by if, I mean when) this happened not long ago in Sligo involving my club and an underage player the thing was pushed through by an eye watering piece of chicanery by the county executive and others.

INDIANA

As far as I know it will go to the DRA and possibly beyond. Going to drift and drift. Only good thing that will come of it is that it will highlight the poor management by the county board of the transfer system over a number of years. So something may be done about it.

boojangles

I read in one of the papers this morning that Fennell works as a Full-Time Coach for St Finbars club in Cabra. Is that right?

INDIANA

Quote from: boojangles on January 27, 2010, 01:07:45 PM
I read in one of the papers this morning that Fennell works as a Full-Time Coach for St Finbars club in Cabra. Is that right?
he does.

orangeman

from rte again :

According to Dublin County Board rules, if Fennell refuses to play for O'Tooles, he will not be allowed to play for the Dubs.

However, according to the GAA's Official Guide, Fennell only needs to be registered with a club, and Dublin manager Pat Gilroy is happy to include him in his plans until he is told otherwise.