Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: tyronefan on February 09, 2010, 07:47:39 PM

just as a matter of interest dublinfella where are you getting your info from

There was a series of ESRI reports on sports participation in Ireland (26) that showed soccer as having the most participants at both a formal league level and scratch 5 and 7 a side games. GAA playing numbers had remained constant over the time frame. Done extensively on here a few years ago.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: T Fearon on February 09, 2010, 07:36:44 PM
they are rednecks Dublinfella, and thankfully they are becoming an ever decreasing minority
What is your obsession with that Ulster invention - the redneck?
Do you win a prize if you manage to mention the word a certain amount of times?

Main Street

I don't know exactly which report you are referring to but the ERSI report that was discussed on this board some time ago

http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20080410120627/RS002.pdf

defines participation as

''recreational sport'' means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or regular participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being and at forming social relationships;

'Under Part 1, Section 6(1)(b) of the same act, one of the statutory functions of the Council is to develop strategies for increasing participation in recreational sport, as defined. In effect, the above definition is adopted throughout this report. Thus, in addition to traditional competitive games, doing non-competitive exercise activities, such as going to the gym, attending fitness classes or swimming, is counted as 'playing sport'. Moreover, playing sport casually among friends is given the same status as playing organised sport in a club setting. '

So no differentiation is made between casual and registered.
Not that I have an inclination to be involved in a pissing contest but afair GAA comes out strong in surveys around actual club membership sporting activity.

Rossfan

Dublinbucko and Tony Fearon mustnt have seen this story ot I'm sure they'd have commented on it   ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P
No security on Luas as football thugs ran riot
THERE were no security guards on a Luas tram when warring football fans clashed last week.

The incident happened on the Red Line as supporters of Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne FC travelled home after a pre-season 'friendly' in Tallaght Stadium last Friday night.

Witnesses reported that a group of known Shelbourne fans, who have been banned from the team's home stadium, Tolka Park, began shouting abuse at Rovers supporters at the Belgard stop. A mass fight between the two groups ensued.

Gardai in Tallaght are investigating the incident and Luas operator Veolia Transport said it had handed over CCTV footage taken from the tram.

No passengers or staff were hurt in the incident, which occurred at about 10.30pm.

However, terrified passengers on the packed tram said they were left "very exposed" due to a lack of security guards.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrone Dreamer

The decision may not have been ultimately the FAI's but wonder did it cost money playing the game Ireland game in England tonight instead of Croke Park. There was 40,000 at it. You'd imagine it would have attracted 76,000 to Croke Park including a full corporate section.

T Fearon

Tyrone Dreamer. What is about the fact that the promoters of the Brazil Ireland game insisted that it take place in London, that you don't understand?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 03, 2010, 09:11:11 AM
Tyrone Dreamer. What is about the fact that the promoters of the Brazil Ireland game insisted that it take place in London, that you don't understand?
they did?
where was this 'insistence'?
do you not smell a 'cover up'*?

*ie that this is an excuse for bringing the game over to london, when Ireland have always played brazil in Dublin/Ireland !
Or are we seeing some weird precedent where fai and the soccer people no longer want to hold Ireland home games or any Ireland games in Ireland any more - didnt we play in London last year too?
Or is it that the fai would rather lose money than allow the GAA get any more than they have to ?

T Fearon

Ach no. But last year Italy played Brazil in London at the Emirates in a friendly, so you might as well ask why that game didn't take place in Italy. Obviously whoever is controlling the Brazilians are insisting on the London venue. I reckon as Tyrone Dreamer says, the FAI could have made more money had it been at Croker, but obviously the gun was held to their head and it was a case of either London or no game.

Hound

I thought the FAI were receiving a set fee, no matter what the venue. Just like the Brazilians (although not as much  :)  ).

The Brazilians didnt care whether it was held in Dublin or London. It was completely down to the promoters who got a much better deal from Arsenal than the GAA were offering. Croke Park has long been the most expensive stadium in Europe to rent out, even though they did offer to reduce their price for this.

Jinxy

Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2010, 07:23:42 PM
I don't know exactly which report you are referring to but the ERSI report that was discussed on this board some time ago

http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20080410120627/RS002.pdf

defines participation as

''recreational sport'' means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or regular participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being and at forming social relationships;

'Under Part 1, Section 6(1)(b) of the same act, one of the statutory functions of the Council is to develop strategies for increasing participation in recreational sport, as defined. In effect, the above definition is adopted throughout this report. Thus, in addition to traditional competitive games, doing non-competitive exercise activities, such as going to the gym, attending fitness classes or swimming, is counted as 'playing sport'. Moreover, playing sport casually among friends is given the same status as playing organised sport in a club setting. '

So no differentiation is made between casual and registered.
Not that I have an inclination to be involved in a pissing contest but afair GAA comes out strong in surveys around actual club membership sporting activity.

Fair play I never saw that before.
I always had a feeling they were counting lads that kicked a ball around on the green.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hound on March 03, 2010, 01:23:23 PM
I thought the FAI were receiving a set fee, no matter what the venue. Just like the Brazilians (although not as much  :)  ).

The Brazilians didnt care whether it was held in Dublin or London. It was completely down to the promoters who got a much better deal from Arsenal than the GAA were offering. Croke Park has long been the most expensive stadium in Europe to rent out, even though they did offer to reduce their price for this.

Don't know if that's the case. I believe the organiser of the Brazlian friendlies have a deal with Arsenal to bring Brazil to their grounds over the next number of years. Sure, as someone highlighted earlier, Italy was brought to the London club to play Brazil also.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

I think the plan is also to allow Arsenal supporters to watch some good football at least once a season ;D

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 03, 2010, 09:24:44 AM
they did?
where was this 'insistence'?
do you not smell a 'cover up'*?

*ie that this is an excuse for bringing the game over to london, when Ireland have always played brazil in Dublin/Ireland !
Or are we seeing some weird precedent where fai and the soccer people no longer want to hold Ireland home games or any Ireland games in Ireland any more - didnt we play in London last year too?
Or is it that the fai would rather lose money than allow the GAA get any more than they have to ?

What are you trying to get at? You do understand that this was a Brazil home game? Thje FAI get a fee and have none of the expense/hassle/risk of organising anything.

dublinfella

According to Breheny in the Indo on Monday, the GAA refused to tender for the game full stop....

ziggysego

Quote from: dublinfella on March 03, 2010, 04:09:58 PM

According to Breheny in the Indo on Monday, the GAA refused to tender for the game full stop....

Well that's lies.
Testing Accessibility