Cork hurlers 2010

Started by Asal Mor, December 23, 2009, 05:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Because you're the only man in Ireland who thinks it Reillers. Unique. Then again you are a unique individual.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 04:55:32 PM
Because you're the only man in Ireland who thinks it Reillers. Unique. Then again you are a unique individual.

Hardly, if that's the first time you've heard someone with a different opinion than that then you really need to venture outside of those South Dublin walls.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 05:05:23 PM

Hardly, if that's the first time you've heard someone with a different opinion than that then you really need to venture outside of those South Dublin walls.

South Dublin? Wrong side of the Liffey chief.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 05:06:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 05:05:23 PM

South Dublin? Wrong side of the Liffey chief.

..Really? Could have sworn, well ya seemed like the D4 type..

Really though what is so wrong with me saying that they are one of the greatest intead of the greatest.
We'll never be able to know how the old Tipp, Cork, Kk, Offaly, Wexford..etc. teams of the past would go against the KK team of today.
We'll never no.
They're a great team, one of the greats, but the great? I don't know.

INDIANA

You're entitled to your opinion Reillers but your first post was entirely dis-respectful regardless of whether you think they are the best or not. And not to mind Kerry hurling . Un-necessary.

ringy

Im quietly looking forward to next season with a viewpoint that the league must firstly be taken with the up most seriousness. Delighted to see Cussen join the hurling panel. Having actually seen him play, he can do serious damage as seen when he came back from injury with Sars this season and also demolished Tipp in an under-21 munster final a few years back almost single handidly.

Looking elsewhere a little shake up in the back-line is needed, no doubt Oige will between the posts, in front of him Cadegon will be a cert for full-back, Walsh threw him into the deep end last year and sees this as a position Eoin will grow into. Either side of Eoin, hopefully Brian Murphy of old will be back with Conor O'Sullivan and shane Murphy the front runners for the other corner back slot, thought I'd Like to see Blackrocks Chris Murphy given an run out in the league.

The half-back line, well its hard to see Ronan Curran finding a place he's being shocking of late by his own impressive standards, he's has being in  these slumps before and came out trumps and hopefully he will do the same again, but I'd like to see a half-back line of Gardiner with Sean Og and Shane O'Neill either side of him. O'Neill, Corks best hurler IMO, is wasted in the full back line and needs to be released further out the field.

More than likely we will see a midfield of Jerry O' Connor and Tom Kenny but wouldnt rule out Tom falling back into the half-back line and even Jerry into the forwards, and Graham Callinan who was superb for Cork anytime I saw him last year getting in. the league will tell us more.

Now the forwards, Corks key problem is we don't have enough scoring forwards and something that will be essential to rectify during the league. Firstly who will the panel of forwards consist of, will Niall and Timmy Mac be included, Niall probably, Timmy its to hard to tell. Ben is a cert as is Hoggie (Patrick Horgan), the rest is difficult to tell and as I repeat the league will tell us more. Aisake is doing some serious off-season training, can Cork find a place for him and Cussen??? Pa Cronin doesnt offer much I've always found but alot of managers still found a place for him. It will be also good to see how the younger lads like Paudie Sull and luke O Farrell do. A bit early for Newtowns Jamie Coughlan I think

Far to early to judge but I'll give it a go any way, a fit a Cork team for the Championship

1: Donal Og
2: Shane Murphy
3: Eoin Cadegon
4: Brian Murphy
5: Shane O' Neill
6: John Gardiner
7: Sean Og O Hailpean
8: Graham Callinan
9: Tom Kenny
10: Ben O' Connor
11: Niall McCarthy
12: Jerry O' Connor
13: Aisake O Hailpean
14: Michael Cussen
15: Patrick Horgan

Come the end of April I'd expect and you know what I hope I'll be predicting a different team in player and positional sense

INDIANA

Quote from: ringy on December 24, 2009, 07:35:27 PM
Im quietly looking forward to next season with a viewpoint that the league must firstly be taken with the up most seriousness. Delighted to see Cussen join the hurling panel. Having actually seen him play, he can do serious damage as seen when he came back from injury with Sars this season and also demolished Tipp in an under-21 munster final a few years back almost single handidly.

Looking elsewhere a little shake up in the back-line is needed, no doubt Oige will between the posts, in front of him Cadegon will be a cert for full-back, Walsh threw him into the deep end last year and sees this as a position Eoin will grow into. Either side of Eoin, hopefully Brian Murphy of old will be back with Conor O'Sullivan and shane Murphy the front runners for the other corner back slot, thought I'd Like to see Blackrocks Chris Murphy given an run out in the league.

The half-back line, well its hard to see Ronan Curran finding a place he's being shocking of late by his own impressive standards, he's has being in  these slumps before and came out trumps and hopefully he will do the same again, but I'd like to see a half-back line of Gardiner with Sean Og and Shane O'Neill either side of him. O'Neill, Corks best hurler IMO, is wasted in the full back line and needs to be released further out the field.

More than likely we will see a midfield of Jerry O' Connor and Tom Kenny but wouldnt rule out Tom falling back into the half-back line and even Jerry into the forwards, and Graham Callinan who was superb for Cork anytime I saw him last year getting in. the league will tell us more.

Now the forwards, Corks key problem is we don't have enough scoring forwards and something that will be essential to rectify during the league. Firstly who will the panel of forwards consist of, will Niall and Timmy Mac be included, Niall probably, Timmy its to hard to tell. Ben is a cert as is Hoggie (Patrick Horgan), the rest is difficult to tell and as I repeat the league will tell us more. Aisake is doing some serious off-season training, can Cork find a place for him and Cussen??? Pa Cronin doesnt offer much I've always found but alot of managers still found a place for him. It will be also good to see how the younger lads like Paudie Sull and luke O Farrell do. A bit early for Newtowns Jamie Coughlan I think

Far to early to judge but I'll give it a go any way, a fit a Cork team for the Championship

Come the end of April I'd expect and you know what I hope I'll be predicting a different team in player and positional sense

Jaysus a reasoned post from a Cork hurling fan. A welcome change. Good man ringy.

Reillers

Quote from: ringy on December 24, 2009, 07:35:27 PM

I agree with you in a lot of what you've said.
But I wouldn't mind seeing another keeper in goals, at least for the League, but you're right, unless he's really outplayed he'll be in goals for the championship.
The others, and I know Gardiner is only 26, he just seems so stale. Niall McCarthy's another one.
I'm not sure about playing Jerry in the middle. He might be as productive and more effective up front.
How would you feel about Sully Og being played in the backline? People have suggested it, I've said he's an out and out forward, but he's been shoved into the back a few times (another amazing tribute to the underage coaching) but he seems to have settled and looks good when he's been shoved in there. He hasn't been able to recapture that incredible form he had before he got injured, especially with the IC team, which is dissapointing, but a place him in the backline is a thought.
I'm not sure Horgan would be a deffinite starter.
I think on current for we need to find a place for Naughton, where his best position is, on the wing or in the middle, well that's another question.
Where Shane O Neill's best position is also a question that needs answering.
He's needed in the backline but he can play in the middle, and do so bloody well.

I want to see what the panel is, I want to hear what the so called changes that will happen are. I know that a few players aren't on the panel anymore. No one major, but still..some have gone abroad, one left for study or something. There are 2 or 3 gone I think, but no one major.

I'm delighted Cussen is playing with the hurlers, he'll have much more of a chance of starting with them, instead of being on the football squad. Cadogan, well if he plays dual, fair play to him. I only wish Ciaran Sheehan, Aidan Walsh, Colm O Neill etc. made the same choice. I mean we'd have a much stronger panel if they did. 

As talented as this young lad Coughlan is, and he's been excellent, it'd be totally unfair on the lad to put him in there now. I mean what you have to do is, if you really love hurling, go watch Newtown play. The type of game that they play at their best is incredible to watch. As good as Kilkenny are, that style that Cork played, and Newtown perfected, is just incredible, and nicer on the eye. Everything good about Newtown represents a lot of what's good about Cork.

What do you think of the idea of a new captain? Someone like Tom Kenny, even one of the twins, maybe Ben again? Something fresh, someone new?

Walsh is making all the right noises and all the right sounds that suggest that it should be a good, new years, with a lot of changes..at least I hope so anyway.

Zulu

QuoteI only wish Ciaran Sheehan, Aidan Walsh, Colm O Neill etc. made the same choice. I mean we'd have a much stronger panel if they did.

Better off with the footballers and I'm glad they've made the right choice.

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on December 25, 2009, 12:13:11 AM
QuoteI only wish Ciaran Sheehan, Aidan Walsh, Colm O Neill etc. made the same choice. I mean we'd have a much stronger panel if they did.

Better off with the footballers and I'm glad they've made the right choice.

Ya, just a pity that they couldn't do both. Pity that the dual player is all but gone. It wouldn't really be feasible these days, especially if both teams are genuine contenders.

That's me done, Santa's been. Happy Christmas all.

cicfada

Happy Christmas to all.  I don't know where Cork are going to get their forwards to put up a challenge for next year, Honestly if they are relying on Niall mc Carthy then things are bad! And living in Cork as I do, I can't see where the other forwards are either! Cork have loads of backs but relying on Ben O'Connor won't do either! He will be tired after the long club season as well, don't forget!! The one thing Cork have going for them against Tipp is playing them at home when  no one will expect them to win! Everyopne expects Tipp to win the AI  next year and that is dangerous in itself! They might take their eye off the ball in other matches!! As for players making money in endorsements  I have no problem with that but Reillers, you must not be buying the papers on a regular basis if you haven't seen Sean Og regularly launching this product and that! Good luck to him, he's a sound man and an-dilis to the Gaeilge also!!  Michael Cussen would still be playing football too if Counihan had brought him on against Kerry in the Ai final at full forward...the move that was cried out for!!

Reillers

Cusack fighting fit after accident in training

By Michael Moynihan

Monday, December 28, 2009

CORK hurling manager Denis Walsh can rest easy with the news that his goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack has overcome a potentially serious training accident suffered on Saturday.

The Cloyne clubman slipped and struck his head while training and was taken to hospital in Cork for observation, but was released the same evening with no after-effects from the tumble.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/cusack-fighting-fit-after-accident-in-training-108549.html#ixzz0b67CEPA5

Got very lucky there.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on December 29, 2009, 05:03:53 PM

By Michael Moynihan

CORK hurling manager Denis Walsh can rest easy with the news that his goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack has overcome a potentially serious training accident suffered on Saturday.

The Cloyne clubman slipped and struck his head while training and was taken to hospital in Cork for observation, but was released the same evening with no after-effects from the tumble.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/cusack-fighting-fit-after-accident-in-training-108549.html#ixzz0b67CEPA5

Got very lucky there. Could have been a lot worse. Was with Sean Og and Cusack fighting fit after accident in training
and Donal Burke, the physical coach when it happened. An ambulance was called, and he was released the same day thankfully.
Could have been a lot worse.

Thank the Lord for that.

Thanks for the little analysis too Reillers-lad.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on December 30, 2009, 12:06:35 PM

By Michael Moynihan

Got very lucky there. Could have been a lot worse. Was with Sean Og and Cusack fighting fit after accident in training
and Donal Burke, the physical coach when it happened. An ambulance was called, and he was released the same day thankfully.

Thank the Lord for that.

:D :D Was typing out what happened when I found the thing from the examiner, forgot to delete that part. :D :D
And I can feel you sincerity from here.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on December 30, 2009, 12:31:27 PM
Quote from: heffo on December 30, 2009, 12:06:35 PM

By Michael Moynihan

Thank the Lord for that.

:D :D Was typing out what happened when I found the thing from the examiner, forgot to delete that part. :D :D

No harm, no foul Reillers.

All set for the Waterford Crystal cup and the twin towers up front?