Cork hurlers 2010

Started by Asal Mor, December 23, 2009, 05:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I was wondering if any of the Cork lads on here might be able to tell us how they are looking for 2010. I'd love to see the Cork hurlers back to their brilliant best next year but the odds are against them. They lost a lot of ground during Gerald McCarthy's 2 year mismanagement stint and a lot of the legends are no spring chickens anymore. There doesn't seem to be as much underage talent flowing through as in the other top counties - another indictment of the hurling administation in Cork, so it's going to be very difficult to challenge the likes of Kilkenny and Tipp next year.

Cork and Kilkenny games were always tight and nerve - shredding  from 03 - 06, but obviously Kilkenny stormed ahead after that to be become the undisputed heavyweight champs and the greatest team of all time, while Cork just started going around in circles. My question for the Cork lads is, now that ye have the right man in charge, can the damage be undone?

Reillers

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 23, 2009, 05:23:38 AM
I was wondering if any of the Cork lads on here might be able to tell us how they are looking for 2010. I'd love to see the Cork hurlers back to their brilliant best next year but the odds are against them. They lost a lot of ground during Gerald McCarthy's 2 year mismanagement stint and a lot of the legends are no spring chickens anymore. There doesn't seem to be as much underage talent flowing through as in the other top counties - another indictment of the hurling administation in Cork, so it's going to be very difficult to challenge the likes of Kilkenny and Tipp next year.

Cork and Kilkenny games were always tight and nerve - shredding  from 03 - 06, but obviously Kilkenny stormed ahead after that to be become the undisputed heavyweight champs and the greatest team of all time, while Cork just started going around in circles. My question for the Cork lads is, now that ye have the right man in charge, can the damage be undone?

I'm looking forward to next season, very much so. We've had terrible preseasons for the past few years and that was a massive part of how poorly we went, especially last season.
A decent pre season is all we need. A nice, quiet pre season training. A nice, uneventful, peaceful winter. No one will expect anything from us and I would love to wipe the smile of each and every moaners face.

Newtown are Munster champions, they've been outstanding, and the twins, especially Ben, have been incredible so far this season, Naughton has done so well and looked much better. There are a few unhidden lads as well coming to the surface, which is always great to see.
A good year for Newtown is usually a great omen, a good year for Newtown has nearly always meant a good year for Cork in the past.

Michael Cussen has commited this season to the hurlers, which is great news. He's a target, who can win balls, and if Aisake is going as well as he's said to be doing, then we'd have a mighty pair up front.

Cork GAA has it's problems. We all know that, and it hauts this county so much. Imagine if Cork never had those internal disputes, never needed to strike because they got as good treatement as Kilkenny did, then who would have won what?
The inner workings of Cork GAA are rotted from the inside out but things seem to be on the way up and that's good to see. There were some real positives made against the CCB, and hopefully there'll be change coming, more so then we've had.

As for our underage teams..We have a good bit of talent, it's just because of politics and poor team selections, our lads haven't done as well as we would have hoped. But people forget that we've won a fair few Munster's. I mean twice we should have beaten Tipp last season. A replay and a win in extra time, and twice we shot ourselves in the foot.
It just hasn't worked out for us, hopefully this year it will because there are some gems coming in.

Kilkenny are due to come down from the same hill we did, it's only a matter of time, and something that even Kilkenny can't avoid.
Kilkenny were undisputed for the last 2/3 years, building on, with little or no walls put up in front of them, Cork were just spending those 3 years fighting amongst ourselves behind wall after wall.

They'll come down..hopefully Cork will go back up. To be fair I'd love to beat them next season, we've the players to do it, just haven't had the training last 2 seasons. Very little-no winter training. It hasn't been about the hurling, and that's where it needs to be at.

I'm sick to death of hearing KK being called the greatest team of all time, it's typical D4 type media reporting, fawning over their best players of all time..etc. Put todays KK team up against one of the greats way back when and we'd see a different story.
They've had a nice, easy as it comes, few years, I mean the Leinster Championship? Limerick, Waterford, neither being the best team there. No problems what so ever because they are the land of milk and honey.
Anyway....

I'm happy with Walsh, he looks very positive, he's not afraid to make tough calls, he seems like he's straight up with the team, the last few seasons haven't been about hurling, but off field matters, neccesary in a way, but had major impacts on it. He's trying to bring it right back to where it belongs, coming in with a clean slate. There was talk last season that Donal O Grady wanted to be interm manager, and if he had gotten that a lot thought that he'd stay on as manager, even though he said he wouldn't. He's just one of those guys who when he's in it..he's in it. And everyone was annoyed that he was over looked simply because the board didn't like him, and I'm glad in a way that he didn't get it, obviously I would have loved to see him back because he's one of the best managers out there. But it could have brought back that us against them feeling back into the camp, which while it still could be there today, Walsh brings no history. And a fresh break is what we needed. 

I'm very excited about the upcoming season. Cussen is going with the hurling, and I'd love to see what Walsh does with both of them, because, and I know club hurling isn't the same level as IC hurling, but feck it he's one hell of a hurler who can pick them out of the sky.

But though I've said how the CCB has impacted on the IC hurling and such, something that I haven't mentioned and is imo one of the biggest threats against hurling is Cork is the football, and I suppose that's the beauty and genuine tragedy of being one of the only genuine dual counties.
I mean if you just look at some of the hurling talent on that football team..it's a pity the days of the dual players are gone. Because f**k it, there'd be some winners..Cork hurling and football might have a medal or two more to their name if the dual player was still alive today.

GalwayBayBoy

I was wondering if any of the Cork lads on here might be able to tell us how they are looking for 2010. I'd love to see the Cork hurlers back to their brilliant best next year but the odds are against them.

Asal as a Galway man what about the Galway footballers or hurlers? So far I've seen you mad for the Mayo footballers and now the Cork hurlers. Have you been smoking something that nobody has offered me yet?

Asal Mor

You're dead right GBB.  ;D  ;D  It's just that I've been reading Donal Og's book and it got me thinking. Not high on anything though, except maybe Christmas spirit, more's the pity.

Great stuff there Reillers. You sound very optimistic which is great to hear. Your views on Cork hurling are very well-informed and passionate as always. I can't agree with you about Kilkenny though. I think they are a phenomenal team - the greatest ever, and I'm a long way from D4. That's just my opinion based on the way they've destroyed all before them these past 4 years.

Walsh has the support and respect of the players which is a great start. Aisake and Cussen should be interesting alright. Imagine trying to defend a high ball with those two boys around the square. I didn't think much of Aisake last year but he was just back from Australia and should be a lot more dangerous this year. It will be vital that Sean Og, Ronan Curran, Tom Kenny and John Gardiner can get back to their best form. I don't think Donal Og's or the O Connors' performances have ever dipped much at all so I wouldn't be too worried about them.

It's shaping up to be a fascinating year in hurling, with Kilkenny going for 5, and Galway, Cork and Tipp in particular set to throw everything at them. I can't wait for the league to start. The league has gained  a lot more importance, largely thanks to Kilkenny taking it so seriously. Last year Tipp and Kilkenny went the distance in the league final and then the same in September. I think other teams will see that and give the league everything. Can't wait.

INDIANA

Reillers you haven't performed at underage because you don't have the players. That u21 match against Tipp that you keep talking about was hardly the rebirth of Jimmy Doyle versus Christy Ring. That Tipp team were beaten by Waterford who were then beaten by Clare so its a bit much to say thats evidence of a rebirth.

Cadogan wants to be a dual player- hence the reason why O Sullivan was recalled. Cussens is a good addition though he was miles more hurling in him then AOS.

And after what you said about Kilkenny is just more evidence of what garbage you go on about. A bitter Cork man. No change there then so.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 01:02:04 AM

A decent pre season is all we need. A nice, quiet pre season training. A nice, uneventful, peaceful winter.

Then tell the boys on your panel who are pulling in six figures a year from commercial endorsments to stay out of the papers so and keep their heads down.

Your comments about KK are a joke and show just how deluded and ungracious you are.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on December 24, 2009, 12:30:52 PM

A decent pre season is all we need. A nice, quiet pre season training. A nice, uneventful, peaceful winter.

Then tell the boys on your panel who are pulling in six figures a year from commercial endorsments to stay out of the papers so and keep their heads down.

Your comments about KK are a joke and show just how deluded and ungracious you are.

What fairytale are you living in. Start naming out the players who get a 6 figure comercial endorsments?
And whatever one or two might get, you can guarantee that nearly every Kilkenny player and a few Tipp and a lot of players from all top counties in both codes get the same. Stop being so bitter ffs.

And what's wrong with me saying that Waterford and Limerick in the finals were no challenge? Are you telling me they were? You might want to take a look at the old score at the end of them.
What's wrong with me saying that they haven't had many walls up in front of them? Have they had any issues that we don't know about when it comes to managment?
What's wrong with me saying that they're due to come down from the top of the hill? All teams peak, and all teams come down from that peak. It's a natural life cycle of all teams, in all sports? Did you not know that? I mean whatever happens with new KK teams is another thing completely, but this KK team has hit it's peak, and there's only one way to go after that. It's a pretty common opinion.
And as for me saying that I don't think that they're the best ever team we've ever seen, again a lot of people have that opinion, if they play some of the true greats who had true battles all those years ago, I don't think they'd win, but that's pure speculation. We'll never know. Some teams have had easy finals over the years, Kilkenny had a few easy games as well, helped by a very poor Leinster Championship.

What's wrong with all of that? What's deluded about it? Just bitter whining from you ago, I mean really, cheer up, it's Christmas, most of us enjoy it..others well..I guess not.

INDIANA

Whats wrong with it is that they hammered the teams your precious Cork team couldn't beat. Go figure. Perhaps Santa Claus will bring you some cop on tomorrow.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 10:37:43 AM
Reillers you haven't performed at underage because you don't have the players. That u21 match against Tipp that you keep talking about was hardly the rebirth of Jimmy Doyle versus Christy Ring. That Tipp team were beaten by Waterford who were then beaten by Clare so its a bit much to say thats evidence of a rebirth.

Cadogan wants to be a dual player- hence the reason why O Sullivan was recalled. Cussens is a good addition though he was miles more hurling in him then AOS.

And after what you said about Kilkenny is just more evidence of what garbage you go on about. A bitter Cork man. No change there then so.

More people taken in by media ramblings, Cadogan might try and play dual but his preference is hurling, Cussen has decided to drop the football completely which is great for the hurlers. To be fair I think it's a brave choice to be a dual player these days. But it can work, I thought Cussen would try and make it work, but sure, he's a much better hurler than he is footballer.  ;)
It's a pity, the hurlers would have a much stronger team if some of the footballers played hurling, and same goes for some of the hurlers as well. Like I said, that's the beauty and tragidy of being one of the only genuine dual counties..never mind the rest of the sports, we'd have a few handy out hurlers who went the rugby route. Tomas O Leary is a very good example of that.

Look it's clear in the past that you really haven't much, if any clue about underage hurling, or any hurling in Cork to be fair, you've lived off D4 reporting, and I suppose that's where you got the info that Sully was being "recalled"..which isn't happening at all. Our underage hurlers are capable and have, beaten teams such as Tipp, if the right team is picked, if they're coached well, not just thrown onto the pitch in God knows what kind of positions, and given just the slightest bit of backing, instead of being treated like crap then we might see something different, if politics is left out and the right team is picked, and with a positive attitude. Then there'd be a different story.

There's change coming to the hurling panel, at least that's what they've been told apparently. A new energy, new players that haven't been given a fair go over the last season or two. A fresh start in a new a new regime, with hopefully, as it's rumoured a new captain. I wouldn't mind one of the twins or someone like Tom Kenny, that'd be a fresh start. A definite starter needs to get it imo, a bit of stability.

I'd love to see Shane O Neill play in his proper position for starters, I'd love to see another keeper given ago, even if it's just for the League, Donal Og's a great keeper, but feck it like it's gotten to the point that we need to give someone else a go for a while, just to see who they'll do. We've a lot of excellent keepers. We know how good Donal Og is, so we shouldn't waste the League without experimenting. Teams like Tipp/Galway, go in and want to win the League, I'd be just as happy having a totally new team for it and see how we go.

And what's wrong with what I said about Kilkenny?
Is it wrong to say that they've peaked? Every team does, every team will and every good team has. Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Tipp, is it not ok to put Kilkenny in that assumption as well? Because last time I heard it was a pretty common theory, they were out of this world good against Waterford, I've never seen a team play that close to perfection, you can't get any better then that, and for me, there's only one way you can go when you hit the top.

Do I think that they've had easy finals against Limerick and Waterford, yes of course..don't you? Did you not see those games..any of those games? Even just a little bit.

They're not imo the best team the games ever seen, t
Would Kilkenny win if they were put against some of the greats back then..can't see it. But of course that's just speculation.
Kilkenny are an excellent team, and will go down as an excellent team, when we look back in years to come they will be named amongst the greatest we've ever had.

But imo there have been better..is there someting wrong with that?
Do I think that they've had things easy, ya I think those lucky feckers have been so lucky, not on the pitch, not much to do with luck at all with the exception of the previous final just gone, they've gotten and won finals and games on merrit and pure talent alone, but luck off the field. It pains me to think of how much better Cork would have done if we had a CCB that was even a shadow of how good Kilkenny's is. They've never had to worry about anything except winning.

Do I get annoyed that people fail to remember who the better team was at the start of the decade, of course I do. It pisses me off that we could have won a 3 in a row, but threw it away. If we'd won 4 in a row and been as good as Kilkenny have been then we'd deservedly be getting the credit, but we haven't.
I'm as jealous as the day is long that Kilkenny will be called the team of the decade, they won 4 we won 2. And do I get annoyed when the media will pine over some KK players and completley forget about the likes of Corcoran, Deane, Ben O Connor? Of course, but that's what happened when you'll be called 2nd best. And that doesn't go down well, especially in Cork.

I don't think they've the best ever players either. Do I think any of them are as good as the likes of Ring. No. Do you?

And "garbage" what are ya, American? Well I guess that explains a lot of you're posts?

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 02:59:29 PM
Whats wrong with it is that they hammered the teams your precious Cork team couldn't beat. Go figure. Perhaps Santa Claus will bring you some cop on tomorrow.

And those teams would be? What team have they "hammered" that Cork haven't beaten? Tipp, Waterford, Galway?
Do you not think that Limerick and Waterford were not pathetically easy for Kilkenny. Yes they were incredibly good, I mean close to perfection against Waterford, and bloody brilliant against Limerick, but neither even made it challenging, never mind a hard game? Do you disagree?

And the point you have about my post is one I didn't bring up? So what exactly is wrong with what I've said?

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 03:14:08 PM

And those teams would be? What team have they "hammered" that Cork haven't beaten? Tipp, Waterford, Galway?
Do you not think that Limerick and Waterford were not pathetically easy for Kilkenny. Yes they were incredibly good, I mean close to perfection against Waterford, and bloody brilliant against Limerick, but neither even made it challenging, never mind a hard game? Do you disagree?

And the point you have about my post is one I didn't bring up? So what exactly is wrong with what I've said?

Read carefully while I spell it out for you.

In 2007 They hammered a Limerick team that beat a Waterford team Cork couldn't beat ;D

In 2008 they beat you by 9 points in the semi final.

Now repeat that back to me and I'll go through anything you don't understand. Why don;t you show them some God-damned respect you clown.

Onlooker

In all honesty, reillers, do you think that playing Cussen and Aisake in the full forward line is going to turn Cork into a Championship winning team.  If that is the best Denis Walsh can come up with Cork are in for a lean year.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 03:14:08 PM

Read carefully while I spell it out for you.

In 2007 They hammered a Limerick team that beat a Waterford team Cork couldn't beat ;D

In 2008 they beat you by 9 points in the semi final.

Now repeat that back to me and I'll go through anything you don't understand. Why don;t you show them some God-damned respect you clown.

But we have beaten them and we were the closest anyone else got to Kilkenny in 08.
You still haven't answered my question. The point you're harping on about isn't something I brought up in my posts.
And who exactly do you think you are. You've shown as much knowledge about hurling as a Kerry man, you site newspaper after newspaper and second opinions for you're soruces of information.
I've called Kilkenny a great team, now read real carefully through my posts again, and maybe concentrate on the part where I said that they were near perfect..they're a great team, does that mean I've to get sucked in like you're type and call them the best ever team without putting in some serious thought..please, you "clown." I mean grow up, if all you can do instead of replying to a post is insult, then don't bother posting at all. It's a waste of our time. I mean any time there is a genuine conversation to be had about Cork hurling, all you Heffo and OM do is ruin it and turn to your bitter opinions, moan, bitch and insult. Says a lot really. I mean have ye nothing better do?

I mean clearly you've shown you've no interest, knowledge, or any idea of the workings of Cork GAA, or much hurling in general to be fair, you've clearly stated how much you despise the Cork team so why bother wasting our time just posting insult after insult. Wouldn't it be much more productive posting on something you like, or getting a life or something. I mean why bother? Have you really nothing better to do the come on here and insult and moan all the time? What a sad life you most live.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 02:51:40 PM

What fairytale are you living in. Start naming out the players who get a 6 figure comercial endorsments?
And whatever one or two might get, you can guarantee that nearly every Kilkenny player and a few Tipp and a lot of players from all top counties in both codes get the same. Stop being so bitter ffs.

I'm not in the least bit bitter about any GAA player earning vast sums from commercial endorsements - the number one earner in this area in the country is from Cork and he made in the order of €250k in 2008 from commercial deals - the best of luck to him - there is no need for me to name him - it's clear who I'm referring to.

I do take exception to anyone who on the one hand plugs every product going and is in the paper every second day at another sponsorship launch, then appeals for a low-key winter.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on December 24, 2009, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 24, 2009, 02:51:40 PM

I'm not in the least bit bitter about any GAA player earning vast sums from commercial endorsements - the number one earner in this area in the country is from Cork and he made in the order of €250k in 2008 from commercial deals - the best of luck to him - there is no need for me to name him - it's clear who I'm referring to.

I do take exception to anyone who on the one hand plugs every product going and is in the paper every second day at another sponsorship launch, then appeals for a low-key winter.

No, not at all. I asked for examples you haven't given any. You're post sound incredibly bitter and totally one sided. But you only seem to have a problem with the Cork players. Because I can guarantee you that the likes of Shefflin and Canning and co are getting a hell lot more then any of the Cork players, but try as you might to hide it, you've no problem with them, you're just so bitter about the Cork players. And trying to deny it is a bit of an insult when it's so blatantly obvious.

I cannot remember the last time I've seen a Cork player advertising anything or in any launch whatsoever, and these are Cork papers included. I've waited for an example and haven't been given one. You've talking bull and have nothing to back it up with.
And going by what you say then Kilkenny, Galway, Tipp, Dublin, Kerry..etc have no right to a quiet winter. Right?