European Team of the Noughties

Started by nrico2006, December 22, 2009, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Just saw this on the BBC Website.  The article can be found at the link below, with the final team being:

Goalkeeper: Oliver Kahn (Germany)
Right-back: Lilian Thuram (France)
Centre-back: Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
Centre-back: Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)
Left-back: Philipp Lahm (Germany)
Right midfield: David Beckham (England)
Centre midfield: Zinedine Zidane (France)
Left midfield: Luis Figo (Portugal)
Striker: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Striker: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Netherlands)
Striker: Thierry Henry (France)
Coach: Marcello Lippi (Italy)
Substitutes: Iker Casillas (Spain), Paolo Maldini (Italy) Sergio Ramos (Spain), Xavi Hernandez (Spain), Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic), Wayne Rooney (England), Fernando Torres (Spain).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2009/12/a_european_team_for_the_nought.html

I found his reason for Beckhams inclusion particularyl funny, as he mentioned he had good pace.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TacadoirArdMhacha

Suely Nesta is a better defender then Carvalho? Even the likes of Desailly. In the 1st half of the decade was Lahm a better left back than Maldini? Was he better than Evra is now?

Given the way football has developed, that team needs a sitting midfielder. Gattuso?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

BerfArmagh

Torres should in for rudd. Also Roy keane should be in it

Bogball XV

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 22, 2009, 11:56:16 AM
Just saw this on the BBC Website.  The article can be found at the link below, with the final team being:

Goalkeeper: Oliver Kahn (Germany)
Right-back: Lilian Thuram (France)
Centre-back: Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
Centre-back: Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)
Left-back: Philipp Lahm (Germany)
Right midfield: David Beckham (England)
Centre midfield: Zinedine Zidane (France)
Left midfield: Luis Figo (Portugal)
Striker: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Striker: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Netherlands)
Striker: Thierry Henry (France)
Coach: Marcello Lippi (Italy)
Substitutes: Iker Casillas (Spain), Paolo Maldini (Italy) Sergio Ramos (Spain), Xavi Hernandez (Spain), Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic), Wayne Rooney (England), Fernando Torres (Spain).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2009/12/a_european_team_for_the_nought.html

I found his reason for Beckhams inclusion particularyl funny, as he mentioned he had good pace.
so the best european side of the decade has no players on the best 11 ???  Xavi, Torres/Villa and Nedved would have to start in my opinion.
Huge question marks over: Lahm??  Becks??  Van Nistelrooy??

Celt_Man

No Raul or Del Piero??  And yes Keane should be in it
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: BerfArmagh on December 22, 2009, 12:02:38 PM

How did I forget about Keane?! Yeah he should definetely be in it if you're looking for a sitting midfielder. Seedorf is another player who was at the top for a long part of this decade.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nrico2006

I think RVN is a cert in it, best goalscorer about whether it be for club or country.  David Villa would also be close, definitely ahead of Torres and Rooney.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

quit yo jibbajabba

alrite; ill get the row started; gerrard?
would have thought thered be a place there somewhere for him; subs at least;
or indeed a better right mid option than goldenballs;
not much defensive balance in that midfield tbh

Bogball XV

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 22, 2009, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on December 22, 2009, 12:02:38 PM

How did I forget about Keane?! Yeah he should definetely be in it if you're looking for a sitting midfielder. Seedorf is another player who was at the top for a long part of this decade.
seedorf wouldn't be near it, an extremely lucky player in that he won 3? Champions Leagues with different clubs.  The formation of 4 3 3 was designed to have as many big names as possible on the side.  I don't know that Keane should have been on the side, he was definitely waning in the noughties, and he never played in the final stages of the big international tournaments (the idiot).
Del Piero is another who was better in the nineties and whilst he's still there, Juve have been second rate for most of this decade, and he's not been a major influence for the italians either.

nifan

How the feck did beckham get in there ahead of the likes of Ronaldinho, Kaka, messi etc

Bogball XV

Quote from: nifan on December 22, 2009, 12:22:09 PM
How the feck did beckham get in there ahead of the likes of ............................................... etc
ah, the ever knowledgeable Norn Iron fan shows his football knowledge ;D  I'll not quote exactly what you've written so that you can go back and delete it ;)

quit yo jibbajabba

think the "europe" bit might have something to do with it nifan, lolz....

Denn Forever

Is this team based on performance in the Euros and World Cup?.  Hence no Keane.

Lahm there because of his wonder goal in 2006.  Maldini for me.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Minder

Paddy Viera wouldn't be a kick in the arse off it in his prime.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"