European Team of the Noughties

Started by nrico2006, December 22, 2009, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goin Down

Hard to pick the best team of the decade. Ya have to think 'who was an unbelievable player back in the early years?!' Back then i doubt many of us knew so much about the other leagues in europe and the 'best' players were more spread out! I dont see Roberto Carlos mentioned and he was unbelievable in the early 00's. Agree with Zidane, Henry and older Ronaldo. Puyol, Luis Figo, Beckham, RVN, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gerrard, Ribery, KaKa, Giggs, Vidic, Alessandro Nesta, Torres and Terry would be there-thereabouts too. Lampard?? Maldini?? Keeper is Casillas I think and Fergie best manager.
Remember This.

nifan

Doh, obviously rereading it is european players, not players who play in europe.
Should have read it properly first time!

Sub all those non europeans for Nedved, Pirlo etc

nifan

Good to see not only me misreading it goin down:)

Puckoon

No qualms at all with Beckhams inclusion - but Carvalho? lord almighty.

ross4life

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 22, 2009, 11:56:16 AM
Just saw this on the BBC Website.  The article can be found at the link below, with the final team being:

Goalkeeper: Oliver Kahn (Germany)  reached his peak in the 2001 champions league final
Right-back: Lilian Thuram (France)    fair choice
Centre-back: Fabio Cannavaro (Italy) won italy the world in 2006,managed to hold the defense together with nesta injured
Centre-back: Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal) back bone of chelsea success 2005 & 2006 and not forgetting Porto
Left-back: Philipp Lahm (Germany)  Fair choice
Right midfield: David Beckham (England) his best years were before noughties, should be Roy keane
Centre midfield: Zinedine Zidane (France) Fair choice
Left midfield: Luis Figo (Portugal) fair Choice
Striker: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) Fair Choice
Striker: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Netherlands) in terms of goals per games was there a better striker in the Noughties?
Striker: Thierry Henry (France) Fair Choice
Coach: Marcello Lippi (Italy) 2 italian titles, & a world cup better than fergie?
Substitutes: Iker Casillas (Spain), Paolo Maldini (Italy) Sergio Ramos (Spain), Xavi Hernandez (Spain), Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic), Wayne Rooney (England), Fernando Torres (Spain).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2009/12/a_european_team_for_the_nought.html

I found his reason for Beckhams inclusion particularyl funny, as he mentioned he had good pace.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Watcher Pat

Dennis Bergkamp...One of the best players ever...

Agree Roy Keane should be in that as well. Tony Adams was also a better player than Carvalho.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on December 22, 2009, 06:14:11 PM
Dennis Bergkamp...One of the best players ever...

Agree Roy Keane should be in that as well. Tony Adams was also a better player than Carvalho.

Agreed about Denis Bergkamp
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Forgot about Bergkamp, twice the player Beckham was.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

alot of people are underrating Carvalho this guy was super in the early noughties but terry & cech was getting all the credit  ::)

Bergkamp should be on bench at least one of the best players ever to grace the premiership as for Tony Adams i guess his best years were before the noughties

including Rooney & torres kinda surprised me? looking at there facts & figures  in the noughties i think not
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Minder

Torres said Carvalho is the best defender he has played against.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: nifan on December 22, 2009, 02:32:57 PM
Aye, they've no excuse at all!!!

The likes of Bergkamp and Keane were better players than many on this list, but, imo their best years were pre-noughties, I think a lot of us can't accept that we're getting on a bit more than we thought!!

The Watcher Pat

Bergkamp played until 2006, and his best 5 years were probably between between 2000- 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Bergkamp
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Denn Forever

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on December 22, 2009, 08:01:26 PM
Bergkamp played until 2006, and his best 5 years were probably between between 2000- 2005.

Beware.

Some people here don't rate Wikipedia.

But Bergkamp was good.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 22, 2009, 07:57:06 PM
Quote from: nifan on December 22, 2009, 02:32:57 PM
Aye, they've no excuse at all!!!

The likes of Bergkamp and Keane were better players than many on this list, but, imo their best years were pre-noughties, I think a lot of us can't accept that we're getting on a bit more than we thought!!

Keane's peak was probably from 1999 to 2002. In the couple of years after the treble, he dargged United at times to a couple of titles and the alter stages of the Champions League when standards amongst other players had slipped after that night in Barcelona.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 22, 2009, 08:16:28 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on December 22, 2009, 08:01:26 PM

Beware.

Some people here don't rate Wikipedia.

But Bergkamp was good.

Blasphemy!!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010