Fair Play or Cheating in the GAA

Started by furboot, November 20, 2009, 03:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furboot

With all the hoo-haa Henry La Cheat going on was just wondering of any great examples of cheating or fair play in GAA matches.

One example of fair play that springs to mind was the famous 1998 hurling s/f match Clare v Offaly when the ref blew up early and Clare won. Then generously Clare offered a replay and duly lost and Offaly went on to win the All Ireland - that 'fair play' cost Clare a place in the final and maybe a third All Ireland.

As for cheating a recent one was in 2008, I think, when Kerry's Aidan O'Mahony did his fake dive that fooled the referee and got Cork's Donnacha O'Connor sent off.

Any more ?

Canalman

We have been hard done by in club games in the past by wrong referee/umpiring decisions/ illegal players being played against us etc etc. Our club (like nearly every other club) just takes it, sulks for a while and then moves on. That's sport.

Btw, I don't think Clare offered Offaly a replay after referee blew up short. Think GAC ordered one. May be wrong though.

AZOffaly

If there were a few of us Biffos in Stade de France on Wednesday there'd be a replay no bother. 

I think in that instance Jimmy played less than the 70 minutes, so the game was null and void. I know Clare were generous enough in the aftermath, but I think it was always going to be replayed under rule.

eireogatron

as far as i remember the replay was imposed rather than offered.

cheating - "hard man" Philip Jordan Armagh vs Tyrone 2003. As well as a litany of dives etc during that campaign

Puckoon

Charlie Redmond in the 1995 AIF refusing to leave the field after being sent off.

Maybe a better set of examples would be Referees deciding the outcome of a game. Ultimately blame for Irelands defeat lies at the feet of the referee and his linesman in this instance.

So - Paddy f#$%king russell. The ball was off the ground when Peter fisted it to Sean Kavanaugh McLaughlin.

catchandkick

;D What about...

The time Peter Canavan jumped in to Mike McCarthy's elbow in the 2003 All-Ireland semi-final . McCarthy was taking a free and was holding his hands up looking for a forward to move, Canavan jumped into his elbow, cut his head open and soon after had to go off. Referee turned around, saw Canavan on the ground with a cut forehead and, naturally enough, gave a yellow card to McCarthy and a free to Tyrone or else a hop ball. Most bizarre incident I've ever seen at a GAA game.

And that did happen exactly as I've described it 

fairplay

I wouldn't be on for any "fairplay" at all -Cheating is better ;D ;D

Rossfan

That ******  red Laythrum Aughnasheelin ***** of a Ref in Tuam 1998  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

furboot

don't know if it qualifies as 'fair play' or a 'cheat' or something else entirely but back in 1987 when Dublin played Cork in a league q-final I think and Cork refused to leave the dressing room for extra time. The Dubs did and, unopposed, they won the ball at the throw in and then moved it neatly upfield for Barney Rock to score a winning goal.
Should Barney have opted for 'fair -play' that day and kicked it wide ..... and then there would be no-one to kick it out?

The Real Laoislad

Ian Robertson of Dublin picking the ball off the ground v Laois in 1999 Leinster semi final and scoring a goal from it that brought the match to a replay,which Laois lost
You'll Never Walk Alone.

heffo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 20, 2009, 07:03:17 PM
Ian Robertson of Dublin picking the ball off the ground v Laois in 1999 Leinster semi final and scoring a goal from it that brought the match to a replay,which Laois lost

Oh pulease..

longrunsthefox

Quote from: furboot on November 20, 2009, 06:49:53 PM
don't know if it qualifies as 'fair play' or a 'cheat' or something else entirely but back in 1987 when Dublin played Cork in a league q-final I think and Cork refused to leave the dressing room for extra time. The Dubs did and, unopposed, they won the ball at the throw in and then moved it neatly upfield for Barney Rock to score a winning goal.
Should Barney have opted for 'fair -play' that day and kicked it wide ..... and then there would be no-one to kick it out?

I remember Con Houlihan wrote, "The Cork keeper didn't see the shot from Barney Rock; he was standing in Euston Station."

rosnarun

the closest to the henry situation was surely the time Kerry hit the back stanchion of the goal and it came back into  play and they scored a vital goal . was it some murphy fella against Tipp late 90's
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

yeah found it

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kilmoyleygaa/funny/GAA%20cock%20ups.htm
Kerry's "goal" against Tipp (1999 Munster football c'ship) : After just eight minutes Kerry corner-forward Gerry Murphy kicked the ball wide but it came back into play off a stanchion and the Rathmore player finished the rebound to the net. Kerry won by 6 points and Tipp were not awarded a replay.

but also there is
The "point" that never was (1995 Leinster football tie) : Laois' Mick Turley kicked the  ball over his head with 42 seconds remaining and the ball was deemed to have gone over the Carlow bar. But video evidence showed that it had gone wide. Laois won by a point. Laois later offered Carlow a replay and won in the re-fixtur
and
Wrong team won (Connacht minor final 1989) : In the dying seconds of the game, Roscommon who are trailing Galway by a point, are awarder a penalty. Shane Curran sprints forward and drives the kick to the net. The whistle blows and Roscommon assume they have won and are presented with the cup. But it subsequently emerges that the ref disallowed the goal from the penalty and Galway are declared the official winners. Galway agree to a replay but lose.

some examples The FAI might use when they Bring this Tradegy to the UN security council or the UNHRC
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

sheelinside

i totally despise some forwards who, when in possession,  pull and drag a defender in on top of them and then collapse onto the ground, conning a ref into awarding a soft free in, and certain score.
i particularly remember owen mulligan giving an exhibition of this dark art in the ulster final a couple of years ago, against monaghan- everytime he went for a ball he was holding and pulling the defender, and then when his marker was close enough he simply fell, bringing the defender on top of him.