Fair Play or Cheating in the GAA

Started by furboot, November 20, 2009, 03:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: furboot on November 23, 2009, 06:10:07 PM
1989 - The Tony Keady affair - he was, in a way, cheated when inviterd to play in the US in good faith (everyone waas doing it but not legal apparently) and was then made an example of when he came back. His loss to that great Galway team and the furore that the controversy created possible unsettled the Galway camp and cost them an All Ireland that year - they lost the semi to Tipp and Tipp then had a soft one against Antrim in the final. A fine player and a fine team cheated by silly GAA rules !!!

It didn't end at that. In the All Ireland semi-final Galway against Tipp were absolutly robbed. Was such an obvious ref bias. In Laochra Gael of Tony Keady him or one of the other players said something like 'the ref was blind or cheating that day.... I think it was both.' It was disgusting and the programme showed incidents of blatent ref cheating. I remember the game. A sad day for hurling. 

Aerlik

1982 Ulster u-16 club hurling final, Lavey v. the Hallions.  (Derry v. Antrim) at Bellaghy.  The Ulster board decided to appoint an Antrim man (he of Cargin origin, that bastion of hurling if ever there was one) to ref as he was operating as a Tyrone official following a row with the Antrim board.  Well eff me Lavey were not only up against Dunloy they were up against an Antrim referee representing Tyrone.  Now all we needed were Donegal umpires and linesmen - only it was worse, we had Bellaghy umpires .  And so it came to pass that the hallions scored a goal that shouldn't have been - the lad was a mile inside the square.  And it stood. We lost by two points.  Little wonder I am still bitter and twisted when I think of Antrim and Tyrone and Bellaghy.

It's interesting reading all the stuff on here about referees.  As a new referee, I have strarted seeing things from a different perspective; the amount of cheating that goes on at the level over here is actually amusing.  I was cautioning one lad for pulling and dragging when the fella he fouled came up thought I couldn't see and punched him on the kidney.  Straight red.  Then he protested that it was only a light punch.  And the manager roared at me saying that that was acceptable over here.  Fcuk that, not any more it's not.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: southsidejohnny on November 22, 2009, 03:09:48 PM
Well lets start with a theatrical dive in Hyde Park Connacht final 2001 and Mayos Ray Connelly wrongly sent off. Cost Mayo that final.

Hardly cost Mayo the final. Ros were already down to 14 men for majority of second half. Mayo player trying a back flick the ball surely caused that last gasp goal for Ros. In anycase, if you are bringing that one up, Gabriel Irwin, Mayo goalie, feigned injury to get John Newton sent off in 1993 Connacht final. Probably regretted it in the All-Ireland semi-final though as goal after goal rained in on him.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Canalman on November 20, 2009, 04:16:52 PM
We have been hard done by in club games in the past by wrong referee/umpiring decisions/ illegal players being played against us etc etc. Our club (like nearly every other club) just takes it, sulks for a while and then moves on. That's sport.

Btw, I don't think Clare offered Offaly a replay after referee blew up short. Think GAC ordered one. May be wrong though.
I'm coming in late on this one so I hope I haven't missed a good row or anything like that!
I just want to say that Clare did indeed offer to replay that game; I remember it well because Clare and their beloved manager had been building up quite a reputation for being awkward with everyone else and were decidedly unpopular outside their own borders and it was a completely unexpected gesture.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

under the bar

Mickey Ned O'Sullivan's dive in the AI final and then feigning injury so he didnt have a to give a speech 'as gaelige' deserves a mention.

furboot

Quote from: under the bar on November 24, 2009, 08:03:35 AM
Mickey Ned O'Sullivan's dive in the AI final and then feigning injury so he didnt have a to give a speech 'as gaelige' deserves a mention.
sound like a bit of a bar stool story but an amusing one !!

furboot

Quote from: furboot on November 24, 2009, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: under the bar on November 24, 2009, 08:03:35 AM
sound like a bit of a bar stool story but an amusing one !!

on second thoughts ...looking at the incident here loks like Mickey Ned had a fair case for not being able to speak !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw&feature=player_embedded