Best & Worst sports commentators

Started by Clown, November 17, 2009, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I can't listen to that Geordie hoor :D He makes my ears hurt, with the random manic shouted sentence enders.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2009, 10:13:36 PM
I love some of the American sports broadcasters. Harry Carrey from the Chicago Cubs had a great rythm for baseball. The College Football has/had some great ones, including Keith Jackson (Woah Nellie) and you'd go a long way to hear a better team than Pat Summeral and John MAdden in the NFL.
The best.

stew

The worst commentator of all time, and I mean all time has to be that tube Tommy Smith who does CL matches, he is so dire he does not even qualify to be dire he is that bad.

Harry carrey was always full when commentating and was great craic altogether and the best commentator I have ever heard in any sport is the announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers, he is a master storyteller and is hilarious , his name is Bob Uecker. Legend.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on November 17, 2009, 10:33:43 PM
The worst commentator of all time, and I mean all time has to be that tube Tommy Smith who does CL matches, he is so dire he does not even qualify to be dire he is that bad.

Harry carrey was always full when commentating and was great craic altogether and the best commentator I have ever heard in any sport is the announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers, he is a master storyteller and is hilarious , his name is Bob Uecker. Legend.

That's the guy in Major League the baseball comedy, isn't it stew?

sammymaguire

Worst
John McCririck
Claire Balding
Sue Barker
Barry McGuigan
Sam Torrance
John McEnroe

Best
Big Ron (shame he put his foot in it)
Peter O'Sullevan
Des Lynam
John Francombe
Gerry Armstrong (spanish soccer only)
Murray Walker
Clive Everton
David Vine
(whispering) Ted Lowe
Jim Rosenthal
Gary Lineker
Jeff Stelling
Matt Le Tissier
Paul Merson
Ray Stubbs
Adrian Chiles
Peter Alliss
Howard Clark
Steve Rider
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Minder

I can't agree on Gerry "For me that isn't a foul" Armstrong Sammy, he is very poor.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Shamrock Shore

nifan

Agree minder - armstrong is poor, but hes no fullerton who is awful.

I cant stand Tyldsely either.

Ray houton is a rubbish when hes on the commentary team as well

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 17, 2009, 10:38:29 PM
Worst
John McCririck
Claire Balding
Sue Barker
Barry McGuigan
Sam Torrance
John McEnroe

Best
Big Ron (shame he put his foot in it)
Peter O'Sullevan
Des Lynam
John Francombe
Gerry Armstrong (spanish soccer only)
Murray Walker
Clive Everton
David Vine
(whispering) Ted Lowe
Jim Rosenthal
Gary Lineker
Jeff Stelling
Matt Le Tissier
Paul Merson
Ray Stubbs
Adrian Chiles
Peter Alliss
Howard Clark
Steve Rider
Pundits, presenters or commentators? You've listed them all.

sammymaguire

they come under all umbrellas; i.e. those who comment on sporting affairs in a broadcasting medium  ;)

Gerry does go on a bit but he makes Deportivo v Valencia more interesting for me
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

mountainboii

Not really commentators, but the lads on Soccer Saturday on Sky are great. No goal ever really lives up to Chris Kamara's inimitable description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5T-ItZc8TA

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 17, 2009, 10:52:13 PM
they come under all umbrellas; i.e. those who comment on sporting affairs in a broadcasting medium  ;)

Gerry does go on a bit but he makes Deportivo v Valencia more interesting for me
If you are including pundits I'd say there are few better than Michael Johnson on athletics.

Fear Boirche

I actually don't mind Mark Sidebottom that much - at least if your listening to him, it means the BBC are showing some GAA. For me a lot of commentators, especially local ones, seem to try  be mimics of the greats like O'Hehir and Muircheartaigh - at least Sidebottom has his own style. I know it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, but he sounds professional and often works well with his co-commentator.

As for the worst, it has to be Owen McConnon on Radio Ulster. He is appallingly bad at actually describing to the action or giving the score, for example he will say that someone is through on goal, but won't say who or at what and then say "oh what great save", leaving me screaming at the radio "Who, where?". Whenever something exciting happens, he normally just blurts out a load of excitable noises and it's left to Brian Canavan to describe to the listener what actually happened.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 17, 2009, 09:43:16 PM
Quotethink George Hamilton is terrible, and he's also a jinx!!!! If by some miracle Ireland happen to be 2-1 up on Wednesday with 30 mins left George would be giving it "We're almost there" cue Henry scoring an outrageous last minute goal.

Oh yeah Andy Gray too, what exactly does "i'm sorry but.............." mean??

Would we not win on away goals  ;)

An Accountant who can't count......interesting   :o
You'll Never Walk Alone.