Limerick hurlers

Started by INDIANA, November 05, 2009, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Not too sure at the moment, I've been speaking to some of the Limerick footballers but they didn't know the fine print yet. The Limerick situation is a tough one to figure out as the Limerick players haven't really performed or been happy with anyone recently and many would question their attitude (myself included). While every situation is different and the justificatiion for any player action has yet to be established here, I feel this will be a growing trend because players are more aware of coaching 'best practice' now. Bringing in ex-county players or coaches like Babs, Pa Joe Whelehan, Tom Ryan or Mike Mac or Justine McCarthy won't work with the top squads. Professional conditioning coaches, capable of delivering top quality drills and tactically aware selectors will be demanded by all teams. IMO that's the way it should be as we ask a lot from the players and reputation should nolonger get fellas top jobs.

DuffleKing

Whilst i agree with you zulu, the number of coaches / selectors who fit that criteria is very very small. the standard of coaching of our games at the higest level - football and hurling - is criminal at the moment

Minder

When will IC players start looking in the mirror?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bing Crosby .

I'm quite pleased  Justin has taken a new broom approach to the coming season here in Limerick . Strong determined leadership is what Limerick hurling has been crying out for , for a long long time .  I have no time whatsoever for stroppy players and their childish tantrums . Out the gap and rightly so is where all of those 12  players are and well should be with more to follow if necessary .
Well done Justin . For the remainder of his time in Limerick I truly wish that he speaks to his players earnestly and inspires confidence and unyielding loyalty to him and each other .

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on November 06, 2009, 07:57:34 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 06, 2009, 04:56:55 PM
Limerick's senior hurlers are expected to meet over the weekend to discuss recent events surrounding the new panel.

Manager Justin McCarthy caused a stir last week when omitting several big name players for the coming season - a move which led to Damien Reale stepping down in protest at the way in which the process was handled.

It is thought that some players are contemplating following Reale, while a player strike may also be discussed

I can't see any strike action by Limerick hurlers getting the same air play as the Cork ones - without a win in league or championship doesn't really get too many people exercised.

I thought that defenders of grassroots GAA like yourself would be outraged by the goings on in Clare and Limerick, or is it only when 'successful' teams display the dreaded player power card? I suppose Limerick and Clare aren't as closely aligned to the GPA either so many of ye won't be too bothered about this one.

You're quite right Zulu, posters who slated the Cork strikers should be doing the same here on these issues. There's no discernible difference in what is going on.
Why should players be able to determine who a manager is or what he does? What is the point in a county having a process for selection of a manager if a group of players can veto the selection and overturn a county committee decision? And not only does that veto apply to a county committee but also to the county membership who put that committee in place.

INDIANA

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on November 08, 2009, 12:46:53 AM
I'm quite pleased  Justin has taken a new broom approach to the coming season here in Limerick . Strong determined leadership is what Limerick hurling has been crying out for , for a long long time .  I have no time whatsoever for stroppy players and their childish tantrums . Out the gap and rightly so is where all of those 12  players are and well should be with more to follow if necessary .
Well done Justin . For the remainder of his time in Limerick I truly wish that he speaks to his players earnestly and inspires confidence and unyielding loyalty to him and each other .

Yep I'm sure all MS sufferers nationwide will agree with you.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: INDIANA on November 08, 2009, 01:55:13 PM

Fair enough criticism Indy ,  I overlooked A O S' illness , I'm sorry if I offended anyone .

This is the managers call here ,   those 12 lads and others have not shown proper form at county level .  Justin must be completely respected and not second guessed . Consistency is what it's all about and if this panel clear out is what is necessary to get that then so it .   

Bing Crosby .

There will be no strike in Limerick .  ::)

INDIANA

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on November 08, 2009, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 08, 2009, 01:55:13 PM

Fair enough criticism Indy ,  I overlooked A O S' illness , I'm sorry if I offended anyone .

This is the managers call here ,   those 12 lads and others have not shown proper form at county level .  Justin must be completely respected and not second guessed . Consistency is what it's all about and if this panel clear out is what is necessary to get that then so it .

7/8 of the players gone even Limerick people wouldn't disagree with. He won't get away with the lucey and moran ones though. If Reale doesn't want to play thats his perogative. Campaigning through the press won't solve it.

Bing Crosby .

I don't see why he won't get away with it to be honest , he's the manager and that's it . Those two players you mention and the rest for that matter have not had the door completely shut on them . People really tend to get carried away with negative spin . For those who are calling for strike action , I really can't comprehend why  . It's soul destroying for long suffering Limerick supporters to be hearing this kind of thing .  The manager's word is final .

INDIANA

well we're approaching the stage now where nobody will be able to manage at this level beyond a year. Players may be giving up there time- but they'd want to remember what they do between the white lines also contributes towards performances.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: INDIANA on November 08, 2009, 04:41:26 PM
well we're approaching the stage now where nobody will be able to manage at this level beyond a year. Players may be giving up there time- but they'd want to remember what they do between the white lines also contributes towards performances.

I'm not sure but I hope you're wrong Re. the first part of your post but I couldn't agree more with you on the second . The players would seriously want to cop themselves on now and drop this loser image . I'm not getting any younger and neither are they .   

Zulu

I don't think anyone would dispute that Indiana but they are adults who can recognize whether a manager is going about his business in a proper manner. You'll always have players who might feel the manager isn't doing it right or that training could be better but when whole panels are questioning a manager there has to be something there. This idea that managers manage and players play is all good and well but many IC managers are no longer up to the level required. The players are definitely the best that a county has to offer and much more is expected of them now than in years gone by, it isn't unreasonable for them to expect the same of the men that lead them. If the support structures are right I think the players will accept any decision the manager makes and would, in fact, want him to shaft any player not making the necessary committment but when the manager isn't living up to expectations they are less likely now to put up with it. 

INDIANA

The real issue Zulu is that a lot of managers at the top of the game come from a different era. There are very few managers club/county in their 60's who are in touch with modern youth culture.
But there are also the element of county team players who won't accept responsibility for their performances and simply blame the manager and also won't compromise their social lives in pursuit of trying to be successful.

There are a lot of amateurs out there in minority sports who train 5 days a week and don't get any of the perks GAA playrs get.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2009, 04:54:25 PM

but when the manager isn't living up to expectations .

Noble intentions Zulu but Utopian management doesn't exist .