the irish independent top 125 football and hurling stars

Started by the Deel Rover, November 04, 2009, 01:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: cornafean on November 10, 2009, 01:01:29 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 10, 2009, 12:12:34 PM
You obviously never saw Keaveney play. In my view he isn't high enough on the list- a class act and a complete natural.

As it happens, I did see Keaveney play, several times in the flesh and also on TV. He was slower than Colin Corkery and was overrated because he was from Dublin. He did score 2-6 in the 1977 AIF but against a very, very weak Armagh defence. His career doesn't bear serious comparison with the best forwards of his era, eg, the likes of Matt Connor, Spillane or Sheehy.

Quote from: INDIANA on November 10, 2009, 12:12:34 PM
Also Geraghty -while being a complete t**ser in my view is one of the best naturally gifted footballers I've ever seen. He was a star wing back and a star forward. And you're saying he's too high? You'd go a long way to find anyone as good.

As you say he was "a complete t**ser". He was talented alright but the question marks over his temperament mean I would not count him amongst the top 50 of all time. You are free to disagree.

He carried the scoring burden for the 2nd best team in the country in that era for over a decade in a team that had few if any other natural forwards. Sheehy was a brillaint player but had it a damn sight easier playing with the best team of alltime  and also about 8/9 of the best players of all-time around him. Keaveney was a class act and in my view isn't high enough on the list.

I'd love to see your top 50 list if Geraghty isn't on it. Probably hasn't been a more gifted player in the last 20 years. Anyone who can play back and forward at the highest level of the game to the level he did- deserves to be on any top 50 list. and high up it as well.

spectator

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 10, 2009, 02:46:56 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 08, 2009, 05:58:20 PM

I'm pleased that Mickey Kerins and Dermot Earley, Snr. overcame the double whammy of playing on poor teams and not being involved at a high level for a decent period of time.

I paid a very sincere tribute to one of the greatest footballers and sportsmen I have known. If Dermot Earley had been playing with, say, Kerry. he would have made it into the top three.

I am a bit disappointed that a sincere acknowledgement of the worth of Dermot Earley should be taken as a cheap swipe at the quality of the teams he played with. Earley got on the list on merit alone and so did Mickey Kerins.

It's easy these days to be derisive about the league and the players who played in it, but it was a competition which was taken very seriously up until recent times, as most ould bucks can attest, Lar.

Ros have played in three league finals - it's no coincidence that they were all in the legendary Dermot Earley's time.

The first, in 1974, saw Kerry start as raging hot favourites ; they were going for their fourth league title in a row.
Earley was one of Ros' stand out players at CF, scoring 3 points out of Ros' total of 0.9 as they comprehensively outplayed the Kerrymen, only to see John Egan equalise with a goal from the last move of the game. In the replay, which Kerry won by 0.14 - 0.9, Earley gave it his all, scoring 8 points of Ros' 9 point total.  [Ros had beaten Sligo in the league semi-final. The first game was drawn 0.12 apiece, with Earley scoring 5 points, Mickey Kearns 8 points. Ros won the replay 0.16 - 0.10 with Earley scoring an astonising 11 points, with Kearns hitting an equally impressive 8 points.] 

Ros' next final appearance came in 1979, when they won their only national league title to date. Earley gave a Man Of The Match display from midfield scoring 7 points of Ros' total as they defeated Cork by 0.15 - 1.3 It was one of his finest hours.

Their third league final appearance came in 1981.
Mayo were the semi-final visitors to Hyde Park and were putting up a decent show until -who else - Earley rammed home a game deciding goal with five or six minutes remaining to win a place in the final against Galway.  That '81 league final signified a changing of the guard in Connacht, as 'new kids on the block' Galway comprehensively saw off the ageing Ros side of the late seventies.
Despite that disappointing defeat, Earley would leave us with another memorable moment ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eB4RrJ4duU&feature=related

While it would take a long time to summarise Dermot Earley's championship career, one famous game long forgotten elsewhere has gone down in legend in Ros - the 1972 Connacht final. Dermot Earley played a starring role as Ros saw off Mayo in Castlebar in a classic. Canon Devine recalled the game several years ago in his Ros Herald newspaper column;

[Earley and Kearns were two of the great players - I'm  glad to see you've rowed back on your earlier attempted wind-up and acknowledged that fact.]

http://archives.tcm.ie/roscommonherald/2005/06/08/story1309.asp

1972 Connacht Final

A READER sent me a cutting from a Sunday newspaper which featured an interview with the Fine Gael leader, Mr Enda Kenny. In telling of his sporting interests Mr Kenny said that one of his greatest sporting memories was the massive free Mick Higgins kicked over the bar for Mayo in the 1972 Connacht final against Sligo in McHale Park, Castlebar. The reader says that politicians are not always right because the 1972 Connacht final was between Mayo and Roscommon.

I remember the game well. It was a roasting hot day in Castlebar. I would rate it as one of the best Connacht finals I have ever seen. The play swung from end to end at a hectic pace. There were 26 scores, eight of them goals, and many wides. It was an 80-minute game and I will forever remember the majestic display of Gerry Beirne at midfield for Roscommon.

He gave one of the finest exhibitions of high fielding that I have ever seen by a player in a Roscommon jersey. Mayo entered the game as hot favourites and justified their favouritism by racing into a 1-5 to 0-2 early lead. At the end of 35 minutes Mayo still led by 2-6 to 1-5.

The five minutes before half time turned the game in Roscommon's favour. Mickey Freyne fisted a goal but JJ Cribben had a Mayo goal at the other end. It was the Ballyhaunis man's second goal. Tom Hunt and John Kelly added points for Roscommon before one of the moments in Roscommon football that will forever linger in my memory.

Dermot Earley got the ball out around midfield and set off on a solo run that left several Mayo defenders in his wake before sending the ball low and hard into the Mayo net. The Roscommon crowd erupted. Mayo now only led by a point, 2-6 to 2-5. Mickey Freyne kicked a point and John Kelly added a goal just before the break to leave Roscommon ahead by a goal, 3-6 to 2-6.

Second Half

DES GRIFFITH opened Mayo's second-half account with a point and then a ball came back off the crossbar and John Kelly following up slammed it to the net. Roscommon's joy was short lived, however, because Willie McGee responded quickly with a Mayo goal at the other end.

Joe Corcoran added a Mayo point.

Earley once again had the Roscommon followers on their toes when he soloed out of defence and scored a brilliant point. Mel Flanagan had a peach of a goal for Roscommon before Joe Corcoran and John Kelly exchanged points to close the scoring. Rank outsiders Roscommon won a sensational game by 5-8 to 3-10. In the process they could afford to kick 19 wides.

It was one of the greatest Connacht finals in my memory. It marked Roscommon's first Connacht title in 10 years and the fact that it was won against the odds made it all the sweeter.

Dermot Earley was magnificent. According to the Connacht Tribune the display of Gerry Beirne had to be seen to be believed. Team captain Adrian O'Sullivan, one of Roscommon's greatest ever centre backs, had an outstanding game as had his Castlerea team mate, Mickey Freyne who scored 1-2. John Kelly had arguably one of his greatest games ever in the county jersey and he scored 2-2 of his team's total.

Mayo had outstanding players in Ray Prendergast and John Morley, both of whom sadly are no longer with us, Seán Kilbride, who was to line out with Roscommon in an All-Ireland final eight years later, Tommy O'Malley, Joe Corcoran and Johnny Carey.

The teams that day: Roscommon: Johnny Neill, Harry Keegan, Pat Lindsay, Tom Heneghan, Gerry Mannion, Adrian O'Sullivan, John Kerrane, Gerry Beirne, Dermot Earley, Jimmy Mannion, John Kelly, Tom Hunt, Mel Flanagan, Mick Freyne, Jimmy Finnegan. Subs: Mick Fallon for Jimmy Mannion, Jimmy Mannion for Jimmy Finnegan.

Mayo: JJ Costello, Michael Begley, Ray Prendergast, Tom Kean, Mick Higgins, John Carey, Brian O'Reilly, Seán O'Grady, John Morley, Tom Fitzgerald, Seán Kilbride, Des Griffith, Tommy O'Malley, Willie McGee, J.J. Cribben. Subs: Frank Burns for Johnny Carey, Joe Corcoran for Des Griffith, John Gibbons for Frank Burns.

Rossfan

The memories of that man brings tears to these eyes .... :'( :'( :'(
I'll never forget the Mayowestros boys chairing him off  the field after his last game for us against them in 1985.
They certainly held him in great esteem despite all the defeats he imposed on them ( happy times  :D).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2009, 06:08:01 PM
The memories of that man brings tears to these eyes .... :'( :'( :'(
I'll never forget the Mayowestros boys chairing him off  the field after his last game for us against them in 1985.
They certainly held him in great esteem despite all the defeats he imposed on them ( happy times  :D).

Never to be repeated  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Celt_Man

I'm very surprised that Hughie O'Reilly of Cavan wasn't mentioned in the 125 greatest footballers.... 

Cavan have 5 All-Irelands titles (still joint 6th in the roll of honour) won in 1933, '35, '47, '48, '52 and Hughie was the only man involved in all 5... He played in 33 and 35 and managed the team in the 47, 48 and 52 which I think is a fair achievement by anyone's standards.  Also I'm fairly sure he won a Junior All- Ireland in 1927 but open to correction on that.

To be involved in 5 all Irelands (excluding the Junior in '27) in a 19 year period is some achievement and considering that they are the total of Cavan's successes makes it all the more impressive... 

If the same happen now, surely we would be raving about such a man... Think of Canavan winning two All Irelands with Tyrone and going on to manage them to 3 more... Sure the praise would be unreal

any thoughts?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Rossfan

Never say never Godhelpus  :-X
Tiocfaidh ár lá arís a mhaicín.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rossie mad

Dermot earley was an excellant player.He deserves to be on the list.

An absolute die hard ross man.
I remember watching a dvd about ross in new york a few years back and he gave a speech at some function that was on for roscommon gaa at the time.

Would make the hair stand on your neck.Everything was from the heart and you could see it was all meant.

There was no falseness.

cannot understand how sean og isnt on the list.
an absolute galway satalwart for years in my eyes.

DCR

Quote from: blanketattack on November 10, 2009, 02:17:25 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2009, 11:50:07 AM
Any word from Frank McGuigan yet?

He must be happy enough - I checked his ebay profile and he has no medals or plaques for sale at the moment.

If only either of you were fit to lace his boots - you could scoff.

muppet

Quote from: rossie mad on November 10, 2009, 06:41:34 PM
Dermot earley was an excellant player.He deserves to be on the list.

An absolute die hard ross man.
I remember watching a dvd about ross in new york a few years back and he gave a speech at some function that was on for roscommon gaa at the time.

Would make the hair stand on your neck.Everything was from the heart and you could see it was all meant.

There was no falseness.

cannot understand how sean og isnt on the list.
an absolute galway satalwart for years in my eyes.

Is that I contagious! I played against him twice, should I get tested?
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on November 10, 2009, 03:10:54 AM
Lar, was only countering your point that he did not play on a poor team. We in Ros would kill to have the team like we had in the 70s/1980 again. Final scoreline in 1980 was Kerry 1-9 Ros 1-6. Hardly destroyed. Kerry, as I said, admit that is one they should not have won. But twas our own fault for abandoning the free flowing football that had served us well all year. A vintage All-Ireland it was not. Agree with the rest of your points.
Fair play, Turlough, I can see what upset you now. The use of the word, “poor” was ill-advised and I accept that it could mean something different to you than what I had intended to convey. The latter part of that sentence was my main point however.
I feel that Breheny put undue emphasis on All Irelands won when making his selections. After that, I feel he paid more attention to players from the relatively small number of counties who tend to make it to the closing stages year upon year.
To me, the only Connacht county that comes anywhere close to being one of the traditional “strong” county is Galway.
“Poor” in that sense meant lack of tangible returns. Unarguably, Roscommon were the best side in Connacht during the late 70s and almost went all the way in 1980. To me, it was a tragedy that Roscommon on the day lost their poise and wound up with a classic dose of what might have been.
Now, if this fine side had managed to keep the head and went on to win, history for Roscommon and indeed for the rest of Connacht might well have been very different. As it, was they sank without trace for many years thereafter. Lindsay, the Jigger, Harry Keegan, the McManuses and of course Earley himself would have become household names throughout the land- if only they had concentrated on the ball and not the man.  (BTW: I don’t think I’m taking a dig at anyone here; that was the common consensus at the time.)
On the other hand, if Kerry had lost that one, you knew they would be back soon again. It might be wise for all of us from other counties to keep in mind that Kerry have lost more All Irelands than anyone else; they are seldom far away from the final shakeup any year.
Mayo fell victim to the same fate as Roscommon in ’96. As a former Kerry great said to me as we left the ground after the drawn game, “If Micko had been doing yer line, me bucko, there’d be no replay needed.” I don’t think that remark needs further elaboration.
It seems that it is very much harder for a county without a tradition of success and the self-belief this engenders to succeed. Oddly enough, it seems even harder for the few who have bucked the trend as far back as I can recall, to maintain their status one they get there. Of the ones who won their first All Ireland inside the last 20 years, only Tyrone seem capable of hanging around.
To return to my original point, as I look down through Breheny’s list I can see numerous cases where I feel  his choice could be beaten for individual brilliance by someone from  one of the less ‘successful’ counties.
Dermot Earley deservedly made the cut but would have been at or near the top if somehow he had been playing with either Kerry, Cork, Dublin or Meath. I’d even stretch this to include Galway. On ability alone, I would have included Gerry O’Malley and maybe Aidan Brady. Kerins made it for Sligo but I think O’Hara and ‘Naas’ O’Dowd would also have been favourably considered if they had come from one of the stronger Munster or Leinster sides.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Oraisteach

I know this is a football site, but can anyone list the top 50 hurlers?

Thanks

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on November 10, 2009, 02:56:09 PM
I'd love to see your top 50 list if Geraghty isn't on it. Probably hasn't been a more gifted player in the last 20 years.

It's not often I agree with you but Graham Geraghty is the finest footballer I've seen play outside of Maurice Fitz and Jacko. I always forget about him in top whatever polls, but the man was some footballer, and with an attitude I've always admired.

southsidejohnny

Jus puzzled by Rossfan and the... ahem ..."credentials " he lists under his name. I presume its to highlight the strenght of Roscommon's achievements this year. Connacht Junior champs (easy when they are allowed to use senior players. The big two in Connacht Mayo and Galway keep to junior club players). He next lists Ros as Connacht U21 champs. Cannot recall them playing and beating Galway so it must be a secondary competition. Never heard of the Manning Cup. Forget the Hastings cup, Mayo and Galway dont bother with it any more. The Webb Shield is for beaten semi-finalists. So I suppose that shows the "depth" of Ros achievements this year. Good job Galway or Mayo lads dont start that crap. Galway All-Ireland minor hurling champs (A) this year. Mayo would put down Senior, U21 and Minor Connacht champions 2009. Still if it keeps Rosfan happy....good. Now for a for a two in a row Manning cup!

DCR

Despite the derogatory digs from a couple of cretins elsewhere on this thread; I don't think many Tyrone folk (outside of Moy) would put Sean Cavanagh ahead of Frank McGuigan (never mind the Indo's 28 places).

ross matt

Quote from: southsidejohnny on November 11, 2009, 08:28:19 AM
Jus puzzled by Rossfan and the... ahem ..."credentials " he lists under his name. I presume its to highlight the strenght of Roscommon's achievements this year. Connacht Junior champs (easy when they are allowed to use senior players. The big two in Connacht Mayo and Galway keep to junior club players). He next lists Ros as Connacht U21 champs. Cannot recall them playing and beating Galway so it must be a secondary competition. Never heard of the Manning Cup. Forget the Hastings cup, Mayo and Galway dont bother with it any more. The Webb Shield is for beaten semi-finalists. So I suppose that shows the "depth" of Ros achievements this year. Good job Galway or Mayo lads dont start that crap. Galway All-Ireland minor hurling champs (A) this year. Mayo would put down Senior, U21 and Minor Connacht champions 2009. Still if it keeps Rosfan happy....good. Now for a for a two in a row Manning cup!

Well done Johnnie. Not like you've a chip on your shoulder or anything. And you're well able to stick to the point of the thread.