the irish independent top 125 football and hurling stars

Started by the Deel Rover, November 04, 2009, 01:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilconly SuperSub

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 09, 2009, 10:29:14 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 09, 2009, 08:38:54 PM
No Ja Fallon, Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion, Sean Og De Paor or most glaringly of all Michael Donnellan. Compilers must have pulled the names out of a drum.

Donnellan not making it is a big omission but in fairness with the 3 in a row Galway team and the terrible twins there is a lot of competition to include a fair few of them so some of the newer names have been sacrificed at their altar. Sean Og after Tomas O'Se is probably the best wing-back of the past 20 years but he didn't make it either. In fact only PJ got in from the modern era.

Micheal Donnellan of the list is just wrong, so is De Paor. Donnellan in his prime was unmarkable and still to this day there is very few if none that could do what he could do in the 98 season. Won two all Irelands and one Club, two of them it took did a lot of carrying especially first half of 98 all Ireland.

Highlander3

I have to say i think that Cooper is a fit high in the list, a brilliant footballer with the ball, but i think that he struggles to win his own ball, and for that reason i would not put him near that high on this list.

Sandino

I had not gave this much thought as I have little time for lists. They never seem to get it right. However that is an outstanding top 10.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 10, 2009, 06:37:14 PM
I'm very surprised that Hughie O'Reilly of Cavan wasn't mentioned in the 125 greatest footballers.... 

Cavan have 5 All-Irelands titles (still joint 6th in the roll of honour) won in 1933, '35, '47, '48, '52 and Hughie was the only man involved in all 5... He played in 33 and 35 and managed the team in the 47, 48 and 52 which I think is a fair achievement by anyone's standards.  Also I'm fairly sure he won a Junior All- Ireland in 1927 but open to correction on that.

To be involved in 5 all Irelands (excluding the Junior in '27) in a 19 year period is some achievement and considering that they are the total of Cavan's successes makes it all the more impressive... 

If the same happen now, surely we would be raving about such a man... Think of Canavan winning two All Irelands with Tyrone and going on to manage them to 3 more... Sure the praise would be unreal

any thoughts?

He was possibly also involved in all irelands in 28, 37, 43, 45 & 49 in which Cavan lost the finals.

Lecale2