Norn Iron spake is dyin' out, so it is

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, November 03, 2009, 07:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

The tea is still wet in our house every night. I never heard tarra before til I moved to this neck of the woods.

Does anyone outside West Belfast refer to an ice cream cone as a poke?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on November 03, 2009, 08:35:04 PM
Gutties -

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gutties
Not a word I hear often now although I would have used it a lot as a young fella.

I know it's not the same but you hardly hear anyone talk about a scallion any more. I asked a wee doll in Sainsbury's if they had any more scallions and all I got was a blank look. "Spring onion" got the desired effect.

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2009, 08:43:34 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 03, 2009, 08:35:04 PM
Gutties -

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gutties
Not a word I hear often now although I would have used it a lot as a young fella.

I know it's not the same but you hardly hear anyone talk about a scallion any more. I asked a wee doll in Sainsbury's if they had any more scallions and all I got was a blank look. "Spring onion" got the desired effect.

I always say scallions. Get the odd strange look when I ask for it in shops or in a sandwich (O'Briens, Subways, etc.)
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mylestheslasher

Square Ball

Hurler on the Bitch

I am almost sure that it is only in da Nort that cops are still called 'Peelers' - ie after Sir Robert Peel - it seems to have stuck in these parts while across the water it is 'Bobbies'. I am also sure that it's only in these parts that they are called 'Black Bastards', but that's different. However, to anyone who thinks that the Nordie dialect is dying out, I would say this: yer ballicks mate!  8)

Square Ball

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on November 03, 2009, 09:46:26 PM
I am almost sure that it is only in da Nort that cops are still called 'Peelers' - ie after Sir Robert Peel - it seems to have stuck in these parts while across the water it is 'Bobbies'. I am also sure that it's only in these parts that they are called 'Black b**tards', but that's different. However, to anyone who thinks that the Nordie dialect is dying out, I would say this: yer ballicks mate!  8)

Ayh, your ma

lurganblue

Aye you still get ice cream from the poke van/man and a scallion is still a scallion. Hate calling it a spring onion.

Hurler on the Bitch

While the dialect may be dying out, other smaller phrases have come into play in Belfast that cover a multitude of meanings: eg
'Oi Yer Ma': meaning in essence 'your mother', but can mean also 'wise up', 'ballicks' or indeed 'here! suck on that there mate!' Indeed other colourful expressions have come into common usuage!
'I was like ET wearing a polar neck sweater': to have an erection - 'here, wanna see the cut of your woman last night, she was wearing one of those throngs! My lad was like 'ET wearing a polar neck sweater'
'Away like three men and a wee lad': meaning getting offside - i.e. 'Oi, we bricked the Peelers last night and then they came into the estate so we're away like three men and a wee lad'.
Or indeed this one: 'Bail out at the Poleglass Roundabout' - this is when a young condom-less baseball capped gentleman is copulating with a girl  and decides to withdraw his weapon and 'crash his yoghurt truck' before reaching his desired destination -  - name given as the Poleglass Roundabout is the last place you can get off before reaching Twinbrook. 

fitzroyalty

Quote from: hardstation on November 03, 2009, 10:12:36 PM
Has anyone else ever had to 'Keep Dick'?
yes, when me and my co-worker are drinking a c/o in work!

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on November 03, 2009, 10:22:00 PM
Ballinderry - Scooting means spitting.

Tyronies - Rookin' means really hungry.

WTF?

Can't say I've ever heard that in my life.
Testing Accessibility

heganboy

conversation from earlier today
how do you explain "wile handlin"?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on November 03, 2009, 10:46:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 03, 2009, 10:22:00 PM
Ballinderry - Scooting means spitting.

Tyronies - Rookin' means really hungry.

WTF?

Can't say I've ever heard that in my life.

Have to agree with the Zigmeister, never heard of that.

Scundered means two different things. In Belfast it's embarrassed. When I grew up on the ramparts it meant pissed off (eg I'm scundered running up and down those stairs telling them weeins to stop batin thon rat with the gee-tar.)

wile handlin - a wild handling - an awful bothering.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.