Derry or what else should it be called?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, October 31, 2009, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which name do you thiink the city on the banks of the Foyle should be called?

Derry
30 (68.2%)
Doire Colmcille
4 (9.1%)
Londonderry
5 (11.4%)
L'Derry
2 (4.5%)
Stroke City
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 02, 2009, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 02, 2009, 02:49:14 PM
Rubbish. The views people hold are not influenced by geographical distance. It's personal experience, thoughts, and most importantly upbringing that shaped my views on the politics of home, long before I moved away.

In our house life was respected, every death was a tragedy, protestants were our friends and neighbours and no one ever gave a shite what Derry was called.

I'd still feel the same. My point is that I'd have more upfront respect for someone who called it Londonderry, than someone who corrected whatever I'd choose to call it.

Sp you honestly think that living away from the north and not being surrounded by extreme views would not have a bearing on your views? Strange I would have thought it would.
Are you saying you have extreme views? ;)

I know of several people who call it L'derry out ignorance but in the main I'd say most who call it that do so with a hint of mischief. I've yet to meet anyone from Derry (prod or catholic) who calls it Londonderry.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2009, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 02, 2009, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 02, 2009, 02:49:14 PM
Rubbish. The views people hold are not influenced by geographical distance. It's personal experience, thoughts, and most importantly upbringing that shaped my views on the politics of home, long before I moved away.

In our house life was respected, every death was a tragedy, protestants were our friends and neighbours and no one ever gave a shite what Derry was called.

I'd still feel the same. My point is that I'd have more upfront respect for someone who called it Londonderry, than someone who corrected whatever I'd choose to call it.

Sp you honestly think that living away from the north and not being surrounded by extreme views would not have a bearing on your views? Strange I would have thought it would.
Are you saying you have extreme views? ;)

I know of several people who call it L'derry out ignorance but in the main I'd say most who call it that do so with a hint of mischief. I've yet to meet anyone from Derry (prod or catholic) who calls it Londonderry.

Not at all I'm quite mainstream.  :)
I have never heard a Derryman call it anything other then Derry (except Gregory), whilst I dislike greatly the "L" Derry, it doesn't keep me awake at night, I actually hate stroke city more!
I would agree with you about some people using it out of mischief.
Tbc....

nifan

I know plenty of people who call it londonderry and have done all their lives.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on November 02, 2009, 03:28:46 PM

I know plenty of people who call it londonderry and have done all their lives.

Would it be fair to say it would be older people who would use "L" Derry more frequently then the younger generation, nifan?
Tbc....

Puckoon

Gda,
I lived there for 22 years, I'm sure any views living there would have had on me would still be with me today.

Different backgrounds I think is the fundamental difference for all of us. Few of us experienced troubled Ireland the same way, and so I don't understand why you think my beliefs are impacted by where I currently live.

Folk didn't agree on the Derry name long before 2002.

High Wide and Handsome

Have to admit as a derry man it really gringds me when the whole London shit is thrown in front of it. Usually dont take anyone on if they try and put London in front of it.

In my experience someone calling it Londonderry usually does so to prove a point and be controversial.
"Swing er over!"

nifan

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 02, 2009, 03:31:14 PM
Would it be fair to say it would be older people who would use "L" Derry more frequently then the younger generation, nifan?

I would say there would be that trend, but also different areas within Derry would use it more/less.

My family is from out of the city and Derry would be used more frequently there than it would be closer to the city in my experience.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

GDA

Omagh made a man of ye, as far as I'm aware.....

PS Is it not Doire Cholmcille as it's aspirated..............................
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"