Derry or what else should it be called?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, October 31, 2009, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which name do you thiink the city on the banks of the Foyle should be called?

Derry
30 (68.2%)
Doire Colmcille
4 (9.1%)
Londonderry
5 (11.4%)
L'Derry
2 (4.5%)
Stroke City
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

dillinger

Derry, only occasionally the "L" word,
I was just wondering how do the posters on here call it?
[/quote]

Before 1690 and all that, was the org. name of the county not county coleraine? Inform me better educated people than me. Personally, Derry City, County Londonderry is what i say. Cant say im too bothered.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dillinger on November 01, 2009, 12:25:24 AM
Before 1690 and all that, was the org. name of the county not county coleraine? Inform me better educated people than me. Personally, Derry City, County Londonderry is what i say. Cant say im too bothered.

Apposite question dillinger, the answer is Tír Eoghain!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

dillinger

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 01, 2009, 12:37:13 AM

Sorry you have to en lighten me further Fear. Maybe i seen the co, coleraine bit on an ulster=scots site or something.  :D

Che

Quote from: Orior on October 31, 2009, 09:25:41 PM
Newton Emerson has it right:-

County Derry.
Derry City.
Area inside the old city walls - Londonderry.

holy flute! Newton Emerson talks sense! Lol I challenge anyone in this forum to repeat what u just said in the bogside inn lol

haranguerer

Quote from: dillinger on November 01, 2009, 12:46:24 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 01, 2009, 12:37:13 AM

Sorry you have to en lighten me further Fear. Maybe i seen the co, coleraine bit on an ulster=scots site or something.  :D

You saw it on here a while back.

On a bit of a tangent, but practically everyone I've ever met who is from Derry city was certifiably insane. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

My favourite thing about the stroke city name debate is that you can always get a good idea of the persons allegience depending on what they call it, but more importantly you can figure out what kind of a tool bag they are if they go to the bother of correcting you or any one else who uses the term opposite to the one they prefer. Those are the people who quite frankly will add another generation of bitterness and mistrust into irish history if were unfortunate enough for them to breed.

Londonderry is no skin off my nose, I'll never correct anyone who says it, but I'm always "gonney call it Derry, cos I canney be doin Londonderry. I'd be pure lured".

dillinger

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2009, 03:09:03 PM
My favourite thing about the stroke city name debate is that you can always get a good idea of the persons allegience depending on what they call it, but more importantly you can figure out what kind of a tool bag they are if they go to the bother of correcting you or any one else who uses the term opposite to the one they prefer. Those are the people who quite frankly will add another generation of bitterness and mistrust into irish history if were unfortunate enough for them to breed.

Londonderry is no skin off my nose, I'll never correct anyone who says it, but I'm always "gonney call it Derry, cos I canney be doin Londonderry. I'd be pure lured".

Must say i wholly agree with your post.People have corrected me when i say Derry. I say it only to wind them up mainly They deserve all the annoyance i can give them :)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2009, 03:09:03 PM

Puck it must be great to live in the U S of A.  ;) (Omagh is a shit hole).
Tbc....

Orior

Is there a place near Derry called Fuhi?
Or Fyhy?
Or Fahi?
Or Fahy?

I was on a pub crawl up in Derry once and the locals kept telling me "Come on to Fahy"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zapatista

Got to go with Londonderry in the interest of balance.

And to annoy GDA & Ziggy

Puckoon

GDA, it's fantastic.

Now, what's that got to do with my opinion on derrys name issue?

Omagh is a grand spot. Sure they're bussing people in for the bingo in st josephs hall from all over the country.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Puckoon on November 02, 2009, 12:10:06 PM
GDA, it's fantastic.

Now, what's that got to do with my opinion on Derry's name issue?

Omagh is a grand spot. Sure they're bussing people in for the bingo in st Josephs hall from all over the country.

Was never a fan of Omagh, bingo or not.
As for the USA thing, I think that peoples attitudes and views differ with distance from this place, meaning that the views you hold on the Derry name would be slightly differant now from what it may have been when you lived at home (slightly less belligerent now).
Tbc....

Puckoon

Rubbish. The views people hold are not influenced by geographical distance. It's personal experience, thoughts, and most importantly upbringing that shaped my views on the politics of home, long before I moved away.

In our house life was respected, every death was a tragedy, protestants were our friends and neighbours and no one ever gave a shite what Derry was called.

I'd still feel the same. My point is that I'd have more upfront respect for someone who called it Londonderry, than someone who corrected whatever I'd choose to call it.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Puckoon on November 02, 2009, 02:49:14 PM
Rubbish. The views people hold are not influenced by geographical distance. It's personal experience, thoughts, and most importantly upbringing that shaped my views on the politics of home, long before I moved away.

In our house life was respected, every death was a tragedy, protestants were our friends and neighbours and no one ever gave a shite what Derry was called.

I'd still feel the same. My point is that I'd have more upfront respect for someone who called it Londonderry, than someone who corrected whatever I'd choose to call it.

Sp you honestly think that living away from the north and not being surrounded by extreme views would not have a bearing on your views? Strange I would have thought it would.
Tbc....