Clare

Started by The GAA, October 27, 2009, 10:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Clare Players Revolt

Tuesday October 27 2009

A letter sent to Clare county board last week by members of the senior hurling squad, registering their opposition to Mike McNamara continuing as their manager next year, is understood not to have been signed.

Clare PRO Syl O'Connor confirmed yesterday that the letter had been received by secretary Pat Fitzgerald but no individual signatures appear on it.

"I haven't seen the letter myself personally but I do understand that there are no signatures attached," said O'Connor, who confirmed that the letter had been sent on behalf of the senior squad.

It points to a clear lack of organisation among the players in their attempt to bring McNamara's two-year reign to an end.

The players want the letter read out at tonight's county board meeting in Ennis. However, O'Connor suggested that this was unlikely on account of the absence of transparency.

"There is an issue over what players exactly this letter came from," he added.

Signatures

Because there are no signatures, it is unclear how many players are behind the move to dispense with McNamara, who was part of the management triumvirate -- headed by Ger Loughnane -- that brought two All-Ireland titles to Clare in the 1990s.

Whether a rejection of their request to have their letter aired and the matter of management discussed at tonight's meeting will lead to an escalation and hardening of the players' position remains to be seen.

At a players' meeting almost three weeks ago, which is believed to be the origin of this letter, there were up to 17 in attendance including some of the squad's most senior players.

Their grievances against the existing management were crystallised but plans to advance their effort have foundered and unity among the entire squad is missing.

For his part, McNamara is not budging and is pressing ahead with plans for 2010. Ollie Baker and Alan Cunningham, two of his management team who were thought to be departing for personal reasons, are understood to be now ready to commit to a Mike Mac management team again.

McNamara was approached by a player representative since the meeting but he is believed to have repelled any notion that he would go of his own accord because the dressing-room was 'lost', as it was put to him.

The Scariff man was initially appointed for one season but this time last year was given a two-year extension at the request of the same clubs that the players are now hoping will join with them and remove him.

Having prompted the extension of two years -- the board executive initially proposed one -- it would be a tall order to ask the clubs to now undo what they had decided, regardless of how poor the season was.

Clare had an awful season that yielded just one competitive victory in league and championship, against Wexford in a relegation play-off semi-final that ultimately had no consequence after relegation from the Liam McCarthy was scrapped.

They lost six league matches and drew against Dublin, the game that ultimately condemned them to Division 2 hurling in the NHL next season.

They picked up their performance for the Munster championship and came close to derailing Tipperary with a spirited second-half display in Clare, before losing heavily to Galway in the qualifiers.

Among the grievances the players have aired among themselves are coaching issues, organisation and logistics and the approach to the league campaign that saw them train the day before league games against Limerick and Waterford.

There are indications that some players will not play for Clare next year if McNamara continues at the helm, but it is highly unlikely at this juncture that a full-scale withdrawal, like what happened in Cork over the last two off-seasons, will evolve.

The feeling is that McNamara was going to make sweeping changes to the squad anyway. It is thought that the players' position is weakened by the fact that it is being led by players who have personally underachieved for Clare in recent years.

Conform

In addition, the presence at the meeting of Gerry Quinn -- who was removed from the squad earlier this year by McNamara for failing to conform with team protocols regarding preparation and training -- may take away from their action in the public eye. Why the players have only begun to agitate in the last few weeks -- they were knocked out of the championship in July -- is open to interpretation. Either way, it is clear that, while a majority of players would prefer change after a disappointing year, not everyone is prepared to fight for that change.

Who Clare would turn to if Mike Mac did go or was removed, both unlikely scenarios at this stage, is not obvious.

U-21 manager John Minogue is on record as saying he doesn't want the job, while former manager Cyril Lyons may not be keen to get involved under the current regime.

Interestingly, Davy Fitzgerald's future with Waterford has yet to be confirmed.

INDIANA

Awaits another GPA soundbite. Sure maybe GAA or Reillers can give us the inside track there?

The GAA

Know not a thing about it sir.

INDIANA

I'll only relay what I know then so that I've rarely heard any county player rave about Mc namara's coaching methods. The "house of pain" methods of Crusheen only worked once and they'll never work again.
Dont believe man management is his strong point either but in his defence  there is a drink culture there on that team.
Would make sense if the 21's management were given the job.

The GAA

You're advocating McNamara being moved on?

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on October 27, 2009, 10:55:56 AM

You're advocating McNamara being moved on?

50/50 really- he hasn't covered himself in glory but some of the players on that squad are notoriously hard to manage. I'd say Mc Namara if he stays on will use last years 21's to clean out the squad in general.

orangeman

Sure it will keep us in crack this winter !  ;)

heffo

Strange that it wasn't signed  - what have the players who want rid of him got to hide?

stevetharlear

Well lets see how the Clare lads are treated after this. Disappointed they didn't sign the letter. At least the Cork lads had the balls to go to McCarthy's face.

We gonna have to get used these stories folks, full time athletes aren't gonna put up with mediocrity anymore.

theskull1

Full time athletes my hole

A decent amatuer 10K runner puts in more hours than a County hurler. Stop blowing the training these boys do out of proportion. And just like a 10K club runner, If he doesn't like what he's been asked to do or the people asking him to do it then I don't think I need to tell you what options are open to him.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Nemo

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2009, 03:41:28 PM
Full time athletes my hole

A decent amatuer 10K runner puts in more hours than a County hurler. Stop blowing the training these boys do out of proportion. And just like a 10K club runner, If he doesn't like what he's been asked to do or the people asking him to do it then I don't think I need to tell you what options are open to him.

+1

totally agree with the above post.

you dont like it, Do one, SIMPLE AS

Roashter

Don't think Mike Mac has what it takes to be senior inter-county manager.

But to be fair, these players can't simply turn around and blame the manager for lack of success given that the same players have consistanly failed to deliver any sort of worthwhile performance over the last few years.

ringy

Anti-cork player/ pro CCB brigade seem very rattled by this on all GAA forums.

INDIANA

Quote from: Roashter on October 27, 2009, 08:15:27 PM
Don't think Mike Mac has what it takes to be senior inter-county manager.

But to be fair, these players can't simply turn around and blame the manager for lack of success given that the same players have consistanly failed to deliver any sort of worthwhile performance over the last few years.
its just that he's too different to daly. Daly is a super manager. Knows when to kick a player up the arse and when to give the player confidence. Mike mac is totally different in that regard. Hard to know Mike Mac hasn't done much since 1998.

Mike Mac gives you the impression he wouldn't smile if he won the lotto and got a free weekend with a supermodel of his choice and I think its the man mangement the players have an issue with rather than the coaching. But you'd need Uri Geller to manage to some of those players in his defence.

dowling

Jaysus boys I don't know if I have the energy for another one of these. But as someone said, I suppose we better get used to it. Frank has a lot to answer for!