Clare

Started by The GAA, October 27, 2009, 10:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 09, 2009, 09:54:53 AM
Any developments in Clare over the past week?

Apparently they are the biggest liars in the country so it's hard to know who to believe: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/clare-drivers-most-likely-to-tell-lies-for-cheaper-car-insurance-1937135.html
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Some posters an AFR reporting that Mac has stepped down

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on November 10, 2009, 10:38:58 PM

27 out of 28 of the panel quit yesterday.

There's always one.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2009, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: stephenite on November 10, 2009, 10:38:58 PM

27 out of 28 of the panel quit yesterday.
There's always one.

That's too bad. Did Mike Mac address the board tonight ?

RTE news says that Mike Mac is still in charge.

There's going to be crack now. Will Mike Mac send for the 2nd / 3rd / 4th string or whatever string it takes to get a team on the field ????

orangeman

Following a Clare County Board meeting this evening it has been confirmed that Mike McNamara will remain on as Clare hurling manager for the forthcoming season.McNamara addressed the county board on Tuesday night and outlined why he would be staying on in charge of the squad.

The Banner players had previously let their feelings be known when 27 out of 28 squad members voted to have McNamara removed from his position.

I can remember reading this same thing, this time last year with regard to the situation in Cork. What next ?.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2009, 11:47:55 PM
Following a Clare County Board meeting this evening it has been confirmed that Mike McNamara will remain on as Clare hurling manager for the forthcoming season.McNamara addressed the county board on Tuesday night and outlined why he would be staying on in charge of the squad.

The Banner players had previously let their feelings be known when 27 out of 28 squad members voted to have McNamara removed from his position.

I can remember reading this same thing, this time last year with regard to the situation in Cork. What next ?.

Yep another Custer's last stand. No sympathy for any of the parties involved. I've little time for either.
Should just install last year's 21's with a new manager. And let all parties go their seperate ways.

One owes the Cork hurlers a great vote of thanks for the example they set. More to come. limerick next.

johnneycool

Quote from: INDIANA on November 11, 2009, 12:09:29 AM

Yep another Custer's last stand. No sympathy for any of the parties involved. I've little time for either.
Should just install last year's 21's with a new manager. And let all parties go their seperate ways.

One owes the Cork hurlers a great vote of thanks for the example they set. More to come. limerick next.

Do you know what, I'd let the players pick their own manager and then tell them they'd better win at least promotion out of Div2, a Munster championship and at least an AI semi-final and if they don't the buck stops with them.
Where's this all going to end?

INDIANA

Where does it end is the issue? In some cases I'll accept poor managerial appointments can happen. But its becoming now -any perception of underachievement its get rid of the manager via the media.

orangeman

Mike McNamara survived last night's county board meeting and is still in place as Clare hurling manager, although the dispute looks far from over as the players' letter is read out to delegates.

A letter of dissatisfaction written by the players, which supposedly wasn't read out last week as it wasn't signed, was read out to delegates at last night's meeting after being signed by all.

As reported in The Irish Examiner, when the meeting came to 'correspondence', secretary Pat Fitzgerald read the letter, of which he said there was only one.

It read: 'A chara, The Clare senior hurling panel of 2009 would like to give our views of management. On a secret ballot on November 1, one player expressed confidence in the management team, 26 expressed no confidence; while the decision on examining the issue with regard to the management of teams rests with our clubs and the county board delegates and county board executive, we would wish our views regarding the Clare senior hurling team be communicated to the relevant decision-makers.'Chairman Michael O'Neill went on to say he had spoken 'to seven or eight players' to find out exactly what the problem was and that 'they gave me their views in confidence, and it will remain that way.

He continued: 'When I was told of the meeting (between the players), and the result of the vote, myself and Pat O'Donnell proceeded to meet the manager, and discussed things with him.

'We didn't have a successful year last year, and we as a board take some responsibility for that. There are also some questions for management, and Mike acknowledged as much at the last meeting - we all make mistakes.

'The result of that vote was disappointing to me, I think it was a case of putting the cart before the horse, and it undermined the position I had taken at the last meeting to try and resolve the crisis. It was a bad year, but you don't then go into a hole and bury yourself, you come out, work your way forward.'

O'Neill then went on to confirm that the board still had confidence in McNamara as manager.

However when delegates asked for the reasons the players were unhappy, O'Neill said: 'If I were to tell ye everything that was said to me we'd be here 'til the early hours of the morning. And I don't want to go down the blame-game road.'

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on November 11, 2009, 12:09:29 AM

Good man Indiana, blame the Cork players for this one as well, I was waiting for someone to do it.

dowling

Zulu are you of the belief that the Cork 'dispute' has absolutely no relevance to the Clare situation?

Zulu

I'm of the opinion that adults make their own decisions, so while everything that happens is built upon what happend before, i.e. the developments in music, film, science etc. To suggest the Cork players have opened a Pandora's box is nonsense, what were seeing is simply a situation where one aspect of the GAA (team preparation) has advanced quicker than administration and those often charged with preparing county teams. Player expectations are probably higher than those of many administrators and this is leading to conflicts. In saying that the Cork issue was more complex than that IMO.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on November 11, 2009, 01:49:44 PM
I'm of the opinion that adults make their own decisions, so while everything that happens is built upon what happend before, i.e. the developments in music, film, science etc. To suggest the Cork players have opened a Pandora's box is nonsense, what were seeing is simply a situation where one aspect of the GAA (team preparation) has advanced quicker than administration and those often charged with preparing county teams. Player expectations are probably higher than those of many administrators and this is leading to conflicts. In saying that the Cork issue was more complex than that IMO.

They have opened a pandora's box Zulu. The reality is if you don't have an inter county manager you don't like - use the media to get rid of him.
Thats Cork, Clare and soon to be Limerick.  The Association was incepted in 1884- yet we've  got 3 strikes in the space of 12 months and you tell this is related to the theory of evolution? The reality is Zulu- the Cork players got what they wanted. It may have taken a while but ultimately it worked out well for them.Other counties have seen this and are using the same route to get what they want.

There are apparently 2 other county teams contemplating similar action. if Justin and Mike Mac have any sense they'll quit - otherwise they run the risk of what happened to Gerald Mc Carthy re-occuring to them.

dowling

Most administrators I know are well aware of potential managers strengths and weaknesses and familiar with coaching, training and managerial needs and I think it's a little patronising of you to suggest they're not. Most administrators at all levels are ex-players - and indeed some still play - as are most managers and coaches. Primarily who do players learn from? Other players or coaches? It's elite players who perpetuate this myth that they know best. Complimentary conversations about someone's knowledge about the 'game' is always about coaches or managers, not about players because players are still learning. The knowledge and experience players have doesn't compare to these ex-players - especially those who have played at the top level - who now administer/coach/manage. Who put Brian Cody in his job, or Mickey Harte or Jack OConnor? The Cork footballers had more than their say in picking their manager, yet same old story.
There are players in every county and every club who will always want to make the decisions because they think they know it all.
Of course disputes have arisen in the past but with the influence of the GPA and the increasing use of publicity they're now becoming more frequent and bitter.
Maybe all county boards should go on strike and let us all see how good these players who are intent on confrontation are at organising everything.
What do ye reckon?