Nixon sets sights on Aiden O'Shea deal

Started by muppet, October 23, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

If young Aidan does end up with a contract, and goes down under his loss to Mayo football will be immense. Everything possible should be done to encourage him to stay.

3 years ago we could see that we were developing two stars of the future in Hanley and O'Shea. With both of them, playing at their potential a future shot at winning an All Ireland was a possibility. Without them we will remain middle of the pack with a few Connacht titles, an odd suprise win, more disappointing performances, and no Sam.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Barney on November 20, 2009, 10:47:17 AM
If young Aidan does end up with a contract, and goes down under his loss to Mayo football will be immense. Everything possible should be done to encourage him to stay.

3 years ago we could see that we were developing two stars of the future in Hanley and O'Shea. With both of them, playing at their potential a future shot at winning an All Ireland was a possibility. Without them we will remain middle of the pack with a few Connacht titles, an odd suprise win, more disappointing performances, and no Sam.

Are the county board doing anything to keep him on board . if i was a young lad who had the choice to play a professional sport or stay at home playing for mayo i know what i'd do.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

Deel Rover, what can the county board do? The're up to their neck with the McHale park development saga and taking down the pressbox etc. Perhaps they could get him to coach youngsters like Kerry did with Tadgh Kennelly.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 20, 2009, 02:47:25 PM
Deel Rover, what can the county board do? The're up to their neck with the McHale park development saga and taking down the pressbox etc. Perhaps they could get him to coach youngsters like Kerry did with Tadgh Kennelly.

Exactly Farrandeelin some thing like that then again Kerry couldn't hold on to walsh so if a young lad makes his mind up maybe nothing will change it for him. it would be an afull shame to loose o'shea as well as Hanley however these lads will have to look at the bigger picture. If it was my son i would be encouraging him to give it a go ( a lot on the board probably disagree)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

Lads, the choice between a professional contract in a far off country with nice weather and coaching some young fellas in the pissing rain in Kiltimagh is not a hard one really. If they're going to do anything it would be more like finding some rich fella to sponsor him to stay, be a full time GAA player with under the counter payments or the like

INDIANA

Quote from: stephenite on November 21, 2009, 01:07:04 AM
Lads, the choice between a professional contract in a far off country with nice weather and coaching some young fellas in the pissing rain in Kiltimagh is not a hard one really. If they're going to do anything it would be more like finding some rich fella to sponsor him to stay, be a full time GAA player with under the counter payments or the like

If he wants to go-let him go. But Mayo can't afford to keep losing the standard of players they are losing to remain competitive.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: INDIANA on November 21, 2009, 10:21:16 AM

If he wants to go-let him go. But Mayo can't afford to keep losing the standard of players they are losing to remain competitive.

You seem to suggest there is a way out of this. There isn't. As galling as it may be for Mayo people, Stephenite is right - its an opportunity that the GAA can't offer and should never offer. Our amateur status is more important. That's how strongly I feel on this, despite the potential loss to club and county. Naturally I will prefer if Aidan decides to wait but if he goes, it will be with my best wishes.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

You are undoubtedly right, Indiana, but Mayo isn't the only county that should worry; so should all the rest without exception. Nixon is being very selective and his offers are on a one to one basis; I would have no doubt at all that he has others in mind at present and we won't know who has been approached unless the lads in question choose to make the approach public knowledge.
In the current case, I'd say Aidan would be mad if he didn't decide to go and check things out for himself. Like Stephenite puts it, the choice between a professional contract in a country with fine weather and a pissing wet evening in Kiltimagh is a no-brainer.
I think all GAA supporters would hate to see the cream of its top young players being headhunted but I'm about at the grandfather stage where the lads in question are concerned and I have another cause of concern here.
What about their plans for further education?
Even those who make the grade at Aussie Rules will have a relatively short playing career and will sooner or later have to consider some form of day job. If they don't avail of the opportunity to go and possibly stay in Australia for some time, they would be able to continue their education at home.
I don't know what the plans for continuing education down under will be but I doubt if Nixon gives a fiddler's f**k about it either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

We are on the way to becoming a League of Ireland to the AFL's Premiership.

Young players will be measured on whether or not they went to Oz for a trial and sadly the good ones mightn't come back.

So far there is no formal set up and all we have is Nixon floating around but it could get worse which might leave us with a Hobson's choice.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 21, 2009, 12:44:12 PM

You are undoubtedly right, Indiana, but Mayo isn't the only county that should worry; so should all the rest without exception. Nixon is being very selective and his offers are on a one to one basis; I would have no doubt at all that he has others in mind at present and we won't know who has been approached unless the lads in question choose to make the approach public knowledge.
In the current case, I'd say Aidan would be mad if he didn't decide to go and check things out for himself. Like Stephenite puts it, the choice between a professional contract in a country with fine weather and a pissing wet evening in Kiltimagh is a no-brainer.
I think all GAA supporters would hate to see the cream of its top young players being headhunted but I'm about at the grandfather stage where the lads in question are concerned and I have another cause of concern here.
What about their plans for further education?
Even those who make the grade at Aussie Rules will have a relatively short playing career and will sooner or later have to consider some form of day job. If they don't avail of the opportunity to go and possibly stay in Australia for some time, they would be able to continue their education at home.
I don't know what the plans for continuing education down under will be but I doubt if Nixon gives a fiddler's f**k about it either.

To be fair at least its a sign you've got good underage players. Ours don;t even get asked!!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on November 21, 2009, 03:33:54 PM

To be fair at least its a sign you've got good underage players. Ours don;t even get asked!!!
Maybe not but who is to say that this won't happen in the future?
Every lad that goes raises trhe profile of Nixon and highlights his activities; I bet there are eff all good young minors by now who haven't given it a thought at least and getting in contact can be a two-way process.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Not the best news... From Setanta Sports

Aussie clubs still want O'Shea

Leading AFL clubs could still try to land Mayo starlet Aidan O'Shea, despite the fact that the youngster has told manager John O'Mahony that he will be available for selection next year.

O'Shea is currently on trial in Australia with reports that some clubs want him to sign an International Rookie contract for 2010.

It is more likely, however, that O'Shea will return to Mayo at the end of his ten-day stay in the Southern Hemisphere with reports that he will be asked to sign a two-year rookie contract that begins at the end of 2010.

"He hasn't said anything about that and I haven't said anything about that," said player agent Ricky Nixon.

"I don't really want to comment on it. We will see how the trial goes. He is a big boy and I think he is well suited to our game."

AbbeySider

If there is any substance to the report and the AFL clubs wave a big enough carrot in front of him then he is likely to sign for 2010

Chimley

It certainly looks like he might have a choice to make. Big loss to Mayo football if he does decide to go.

Sionnach

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2009, 01:07:50 PM
We are on the way to becoming a League of Ireland to the AFL's Premiership.

Young players will be measured on whether or not they went to Oz for a trial and sadly the good ones mightn't come back.

So far there is no formal set up and all we have is Nixon floating around but it could get worse which might leave us with a Hobson's choice.

While I understand your poiint, it's not as simple as that surely. The players who might be suited to the code switch aren't always the ones who are most talented at Gaelic football, although that certainly helps. Colm Cooper would never have got an AFL contract if he wanted to go for instance.