Xbox 360 or PS3?

Started by under the bar, October 23, 2009, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I'm thinking of buying one of these.  You can pick up a PS3 online for not much over now £150 and an Xbox 360 arcade for £100.

As far as I;'m aware you don't need any extra accessoris for the PS3.  What else do you need to add to the 360 arcade?

I'm not into online gaming (yet) and don't think I have the time for it.  I like to play the odd shoot 'em up and adventure game so which would you all recommend?

Archie Mitchell

PS3 all the way. Few advantages over the Xbox 360 would be free online play, xbox costs £30 per year. Also PS3 has built in wireless, Official Xbox wireless connector costs £60. Also the Blu-ray player and bigger hard drives on the PS3 would be a big factor. Even if not for gaming purposes, the PS3 is good value as a blu-ray player and as a media centre.

Galwaybhoy

I have a PS3 and wouldn't swap it for an Xbox.  Archy just spelt out the advantages it has over the 360, I cant really advise as I never owned an Xbox but I'm very happy with my PS3 and wouldn't change it.

Gnevin

xbox, ps3 has f all game which is the main issue!

If you intend to steam tv or movies to either you'll have to go wired so the lack of wireless isn't much of an issue.

My dad got a ps3 downstairs for the  blueray. I've never played it once .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Gnevin on October 23, 2009, 10:06:12 AM
xbox, ps3 has f all game which is the main issue!

If you intend to steam tv or movies to either you'll have to go wired so the lack of wireless isn't much of an issue.

My dad got a ps3 downstairs for the  blueray. I've never played it once .

At least your ol boy has a bit of sense Gnevin!  ;)

PS3 wins hands down.  Buy it with PES2010 and the new call of duty when it comes out and you'll be sorted for months.

under the bar

Quotexbox, ps3 has f all game which is the main issue!

You mean the games for the xbox are better? I thought the best games would be released in both formats?

thebigfella

Quote from: under the bar on October 23, 2009, 10:20:31 AM

You mean the games for the xbox are better? I thought the best games would be released in both formats?

Most new releases now mainly are multi format now but the XBox has also a much larger catalogue to choose from. Very little difference on either format, not something you or the average user would notice and thats just down to the graphics hardware in each machine. Neither one is better to be honest.

Gnevin

Quote from: thebigfella on October 23, 2009, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: under the bar on October 23, 2009, 10:20:31 AM

Most new releases now mainly are multi format now but the XBox has also a much larger catalogue to choose from. Very little difference on either format, not something you or the average user would notice and thats just down to the graphics hardware in each machine. Neither one is better to be honest.
Gears, Halo,Left for dead ...
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lurganblue

i have owned both and i would definately recommend the ps3. far more advantages in my eyes. the blue ray is excellent when used. bbc iplayer is handy on the big screen, i've recently downloaded three or four free movies onto its hard drive (probably illegal but sure), free online gameplay... all in all excellent.

the only problem i've had is connecting with a friend to play call of duty world at war online. dont know if that is the system or the games fault.

DirtyDozen12

PS3 lads all the way, it is just the complete machine, blue ray, good games, its just top notch if you ask me.  On another note, does anyone know how to increase their memory on a PS3?  Can you chnage the hard drives or use an external harddrive or something like that?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Agnes Dipesto

Any other games for PS3 besides Call of Duty anyone can recommend for Mr Dipesto?

The Real Laoislad

PS3 all the way..
I use it alot for playing the TV Shows/Films etc I download from the net dunno if you can do this on the XBOX?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

I have both and to be honest as far as games machines there isn't a whole pile of difference between them.

Some deal clinchers either way might be

* PS3 has a blu-ray player
* PS3 is quieter. Fan isn't as noisy as 360's.
* XBox Live is far superior to PS Network if you're into online gaming although PSN is free
* 360 has a bigger games library although at this stage there is plenty of choice on both
* Both consoles have some exclusive titles (Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, etc on 360. Uncharted on PS3).

If I had to pick one to buy from scratch now I would probably go with the PS3 as I use the blu-ray player a lot on top of using it as a games console.

lurganblue

Ah GBB I forgot about the noise of the xbox. f**k it would wake the dead!! Is there a need for all that?

David McKeown

I have both and as an avid gamer would choose the xbox any day.  If your not such a big gamer id go ps3 for reasons outlined above
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner