UC 2010: Aontroim vs Tír Eoghain 23rd May, Páirc Mhic Asmaint

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, October 22, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Jeez how long Im I waiting on that one?
I know its a silly over confident statement, but I have total belief that Tyrone can beat any team this year.  By god we owe Cork one for the pain of last year. 

imtommygunn

Micky Harte is still a bit fond of the old guard.

Peter Harte is a quality player - he should be on that team.

Also there would be large question marks over Ricey and Harte. Carlin has always for me looked to have the makings of a great half back. He should be played there.

I know Tyrone pulled it out of the bag in 08 but it would be a bit much now. I would still be unconvinced they're the best team in Ulster. On their day I think Donegal or Down would rattle them and Armagh or Monaghan might too though the rest remain somewhat far behind.

Long way to go to be talking about september.

bennydorano

Tyrone wont beat Cork if they meet but probably would beat Kerry as they seem to have their number.  They should hope Kerry do them a solid and put Cork out for them.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: bennydorano on May 24, 2010, 09:56:31 PM
Tyrone wont beat Cork if they meet but probably would beat Kerry as they seem to have their number.  They should hope Kerry do them a solid and put Cork out for them.

Would love to see Tyrone get another go at Cork this year. Last year Sean Cavanagh was missing for the game and a few key players were suffering from flu. Tyrone also let Cork build up a big early lead with the defence wide open which I dont think would happen again. There would also be extra motivation this year which seems to push the team on.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ziggysego on May 24, 2010, 09:18:06 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 24, 2010, 07:10:54 PM
I've been away from the board a few days and indeed the country. So only getting back on now.

Watched the game last night on the telly. Thankfully my father DVR'd it for me from RTE. Some moments of pure brilliance from Tyrone, the Mulligan goal being the ultimate moment. SoN looking sharp as ever and Dooher being a real calming force within the team. It was the Tyrone of old in the first half. Joe McMahon doing terrific work, getting all the balls and moving it back up into the Tyrone half again.

I was especially please to see Colm Cavanagh taking the potential he has shown from the league, into the Championship. Not without error, but still showing the big improvement from recent years.

Antrim had a blinding 2nd half, showing guts and determination, plus Baker rejigging the team to get his tactics right. However, they didn't have the belief I believe to push on and get a win yesterday. Perhaps that was Tyrone's saviour at the end of the day.

So in conclusion, Tyrone showing they still have what it takes to push for the big prizes in July and September, but still need a lot of work to do that. Donegal or Down won't let them away with as much the next day, but hopefully we'll be the same.

I don't think Tyrone are at Cork and Kerry's level on that showing. That backline will be torn to shreds by either forward line. Tyrone are definitely the best of the rest. Still reliant on the same players who are among the best of their time but where is the new blood? Worrying times ahead for Tyrone in my opinion.

I wouldn't count Cork amongst the best. They always show a lot of promise, but continue to fail to deliver. This year will be no different. It's Kerry's to lose this year, but only if Tyrone make it to the final, which I'm not sure they will. They won't be far away though.

As I've said before on the board, this is a Tyrone team in transition and I'm not expecting big things from them this year. I just want to see some of the newer players get a bit of pedigree and experience at Championship football and show a bit of promise for the future. However, with this remarkable bunch of players, who knows.

Would not really agree about Tyrone being in transition. Over the next few years we probably will be but at this stage we are playing with an extremely experienced team. If the injuries stay away will still be very hard to beat.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 24, 2010, 09:48:22 PM
Micky Harte is still a bit fond of the old guard.

Peter Harte is a quality player - he should be on that team.

Also there would be large question marks over Ricey and Harte. Carlin has always for me looked to have the makings of a great half back. He should be played there.

I know Tyrone pulled it out of the bag in 08 but it would be a bit much now. I would still be unconvinced they're the best team in Ulster. On their day I think Donegal or Down would rattle them and Armagh or Monaghan might too though the rest remain somewhat far behind.

Long way to go to be talking about september.

Rubbish--they are far and away the best team in Ulster

Think of their forward line and you automatically think of real dangerous players Cavanagh, Mulligan and O'Neill --then throw in Penrose, Dooher and whoever else from the McGuigans, McCullough, Coney, Harte, Joe McMahon and you've a seriously frightening forward unit.

Think of Down and who do you think of?? Coulter and Clarke but who else??

Donegal ? Murphy and McFadden but who else?

Armagh? McDonnell but who else?

Monaghan? Freeman but who else springs to mind as a dangerous forward automatically.

Tyrone have all the aces --skill and the power and physicality to go with it --very hard to stop when in full flight

Was impressed with the size of Colm Cavanagh too yesterday --a beast of a man as is his brother and the 2 McMahons --that was a major difference in that Antrim often spilled the ball in the tackle whereas Tyrone had the strength to hold the ball (when they were even tackled).

Tyrone are tops in Ulster for me and suit summer football like no other team up here. If they all stay fit another AI is not unrealistic
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ExiledGael

Conor McManus has been Monaghan's outstanding forward for about 18 months now, would not rule them out of Ulster.
Ronan Clarke surely is worth a mention in Armagh, and possible even Jamie Clarke in a super-sub role.
Agree with your assessment of Tyrone's forward line though, people seem to forget very quickly just how good Steven O'Neill and Owen Mulligan can be.

Over the Bar

QuoteI know Tyrone pulled it out of the bag in 08 but it would be a bit much now. I would still be unconvinced they're the best team in Ulster. On their day I think Donegal or Down would rattle them and Armagh or Monaghan might too though the rest remain somewhat far behind.

You've contradicted yourself.  If it takes one of the 4 teams you've mentioned to play at their best to rattle Tyrone then by the same argument Tyrone must be the best in Ulster!

Mr. Nakata

If block is fit for the semi-final, what defender will make way? The cynic in me says it's obvious, Swift benched, Ricey named in the corner but will play half back, with block playing inside picking up the dangerman. Very harsh on Swift but that's the way it's going to be for me. Can't see beard dropping Davy. McCarron seen plenty of the ball when he came on. Can't remember red sean making an impact, will need to watch the full 70 again on tape.

imtommygunn

Rattle = potentially beat. Goals won't come again as easily as they did yesterday.

Anyway I'm not anti tyrone or anything. I just think you'd be getting carried away to say they're the best in ulster and could win the AI just yet.

Sterner tests await.

------
Gold Mulligan, goal aside, fumbled nearly every ball into him yesterday. McMahon played as a spare man and won't get away with that again.

Cavanagh and O'Neill are the class players. Whether Dooher still has the legs remain to be seen. Brian McGuigan maybe can do a job. I remain unconvinced about Tommy McGuigan.

I must admit though I think Peter Harte will be a cracker of a player.

You are speaking like it's a Tyrone 05 or 08 team. It's 2010.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on May 24, 2010, 11:06:08 PM
If block is fit for the semi-final, what defender will make way? The cynic in me says it's obvious, Swift benched, Ricey named in the corner but will play half back, with block playing inside picking up the dangerman. Very harsh on Swift but that's the way it's going to be for me. Can't see beard dropping Davy. McCarron seen plenty of the ball when he came on. Can't remember red sean making an impact, will need to watch the full 70 again on tape.

Agree with that. Will be an interesting selection. Based on form it has to be Harte dropped but looks unlikely. Also think Ricey would be better suited to right half back at this stage than playing in the corner. Swift did well yesterday and deserves another go.

never kickt a ball

Tyrone had two Hartes, two McGuigans, two O'Neills, two Cavanaghs and two McMahons playing on Sunday.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Mickeys beard

Have a feeling that Cork will flop this year.  The pressure to win will be too much and they will never replicate the superhuman performance against Tyrone last year.
Boil the Drawers!

A Quinn Martin Production

IMHO, I would think Mickey Harte and the Tyrone squad are very happy with where they're at after Sunday.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties