Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on May 24, 2010, 12:23:15 PM

Liam "How's the stubble looking underneath my chin?"

Mickey "Not bad, but it will never be as nice as mines"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Mickeys beard on May 24, 2010, 12:24:08 PM
...Looking back, Tyrone could have been totally out of reach by half time-opted for points when goals were possible.
+1

...Am surprised that Dooher didn't get a bigger mention-thought he was immense- on TV he was in the corner of the screen almost the whole way through the first half.

Watching it live I thought his contribution was more talismanic than real. Loughrey had him well marshalled and was still able to do his own thing. He got a bit more freedom when Scullion moved onto him for short periods.

He took his point well. There were better options available at the time - perhaps maybe even a goal chance? - but it was an important marker for himself and the team.

He was really struggling by the time he was taken off - which is not surprising given the heat and his long lay-off. He still has the vision and accuracy but only time - and not bleep tests - will tell whether he has the legs for a long summer.

omagh_gael

Couple of interesting stats from 'enhance analysis' from the Irish News:

- Tyrone only dropped one ball short into keepers arms as opposed to 5 for Antrim.

- 64% of Antrims scores came from kick outs where as 68%
of Tyrones scores came from counter attacks.

- Both teams broke even on breaking ball, 20 breaks won each. However, Antrim won 5 clean catches compared to Tyrones 2 (but we are all aware that Tyrone rarely ever win the high fielding count).

- Turnover count was almost even with Antrim turning over 36 times and Tyrone 35.

- Finally, Tyrone fared marginally better in the shot effieciency stakes with 59% success rate compared to Antrims 56%.

All in all the game seemed to be pretty tight from the stats side but in reality Tyrone were always the superior team. Their ability to score clinical goals and to grab points here and there when Antrim looked like closing in always kept them in control.

tyronefan

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on May 24, 2010, 01:19:10 PM
...Looking back, Tyrone could have been totally out of reach by half time-opted for points when goals were possible.
+1

...Am surprised that Dooher didn't get a bigger mention-thought he was immense- on TV he was in the corner of the screen almost the whole way through the first half.

Watching it live I thought his contribution was more talismanic than real. Loughrey had him well marshalled and was still able to do his own thing. He got a bit more freedom when Scullion moved onto him for short periods.

He took his point well. There were better options available at the time - perhaps maybe even a goal chance? - but it was an important marker for himself and the team.

He was really struggling by the time he was taken off - which is not surprising given the heat and his long lay-off. He still has the vision and accuracy but only time - and not bleep tests - will tell whether he has the legs for a long summer.

I noticed that they strapped a ice pack to Doohers knee when he came off and also strapped one to Riceys thigh

Hedley Lamarr

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

wherefromreferee?

Quick question about the new rules.

Antrim got a line ball in and around the 25min.  Tony Scullion took it, had his foot/feet inside the sideline, and under the new shitty rules, the linesman immediately raised his flag (which I thought resulted in a hop ball, 13m from the sideline)  Anyways, Tyrone ended up winning the line ball (A misplaced pass by Scullion), ricey broke up the field, played it to Dooher who scored.

Is this an example of Pat McE playing the advantage rule?
In your Endo!

Mickeys beard

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on May 24, 2010, 01:19:10 PM
+1

Cavanagh fisted point if the pressure was on could as easily be a goal-Dooher's point could have been a goal.  Hub almost got another.  Antrim had one chance and took it.  It could very easily have been a rout. 
I just feel that Dooher's main qualities lie off the ball and when he went off space started to appear around the middle and Antrim's half forward line.  I suppose hard to see on TV.
Boil the Drawers!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: under the bar on May 24, 2010, 12:35:54 PM
QuoteWatched a recording of the BBC coverage. Jarleth Burns really is a fool and wee Peter highlighted that fact a few times

I squirmed at the bit when JB said they should pump high balls in to beat the Tyrone half back line and PC said it wouldn't work as they didnt have a big forward.   JB then changed to say he meant pump them into the corners.  wtf!?!

I have to admit that that would have been a logical decision in the first half. Antrim had plenty of possession but got frequently turned over in the Tyrone half back line which usually resulted in Tyrone score. On a few occasions Cunningham/McCann never moved which is fine if the ball is coming in but they offered few options (e.g. diagonal runs, runs into space etc.) resulting in their half forwards/backs holding possession and getting overturned. It was as plain as the nose on your face and naive on the part of Liam Bradley...

imtommygunn

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on May 24, 2010, 01:52:32 PM

Antrim got a line ball in and around the 25min.  Tony Scullion took it, had his foot/feet inside the sideline, and under the new shitty rules, the linesman immediately raised his flag (which I thought resulted in a hop ball, 13m from the sideline)  Anyways, Tyrone ended up winning the line ball (A misplaced pass by Scullion), ricey broke up the field, played it to Dooher who scored.

The linesman raised his flag, Pat didn't see it, then the linesman took his flag down.

So really that passage of play was due to the linesman...

Should have been a hop ball.

tyronebhoy

Not sure the ref actually saw the linesman put up his flag.  This happened just in front of me and I immediately noticed the linesman wave his flag but as soon as Tyrone won the ball back he put it down again.  Technically I think play should have been stopped but I don't know anymore.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

See the Irish News managed to dedicate the back page to Baker's sour grapes courtesy of Archer...

Watched the game back there, Mugsy's steal was legit, took it clean, Brady stumbled after losing the ball.

Bit perplexed at them giving Niblock MOTM when the rest of the team were rated so low, apart from CJ McGourty. Also don't agree that Davey Harte should be rated higher than Cathal McCarron.

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

A Quinn Martin Production

A hop ball...you cannot play advantage in this situation
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on May 24, 2010, 02:16:43 PM
See the Irish News managed to dedicate the back page to Baker's sour grapes courtesy of Archer...

Watched the game back there, Mugsy's steal was legit, took it clean, Brady stumbled after losing the ball.

Bit perplexed at them giving Niblock MOTM when the rest of the team were rated so low, apart from CJ McGourty. Also don't agree that Davey Harte should be rated higher than Cathal McCarron.

I've no complaints about this goal, but he did pull Brady's shirt....technically a foul but I don't think McEneany could have seen it.  How he missed Mulligan's throw for the first goal mind you... ;)

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 24, 2010, 01:22:07 PM
Couple of interesting stats from 'enhance analysis' from the Irish News:

- Tyrone only dropped one ball short into keepers arms as opposed to 5 for Antrim.

- 64% of Antrims scores came from kick outs where as 68%
of Tyrones scores came from counter attacks.

- Both teams broke even on breaking ball, 20 breaks won each. However, Antrim won 5 clean catches compared to Tyrones 2 (but we are all aware that Tyrone rarely ever win the high fielding count).

- Turnover count was almost even with Antrim turning over 36 times and Tyrone 35.

- Finally, Tyrone fared marginally better in the shot effieciency stakes with 59% success rate compared to Antrims 56%.

All in all the game seemed to be pretty tight from the stats side but in reality Tyrone were always the superior team. Their ability to score clinical goals and to grab points here and there when Antrim looked like closing in always kept them in control.

Exactly.  Proof that all this over-analysis of football is ballix!

Bensars

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 24, 2010, 02:20:51 PM

A hop ball...you cannot play advantage in this situation

And there was a few know alls last week  posting that the sideline ball ruling wouldnt cause any constirnation or possible conflict in games  ::)