Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 19, 2010, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 19, 2010, 05:07:32 PM
A blast from the past...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/8692467.stm

Excellent, the beeb seem to be stepping up their coverage this year!

Mickey Darragh...a Saffron legend!!

I remember the two games in 87 well.  The first was one of those games where spectators got heatstroke followed by pneumonia as the weather condition were somewhat volatile!.  My memory's fading a bit but I think Antrim team that day contained Lenny Harbinson (St Galls manager) and Brian White (former Antrim boss), great footballers like Donal Armstrong and Stephen Mulvenna and Mickey Darragh roasted Ciaran McGarvey?? in the first half.  It was something like 0-7 to 0-1 at half time to Antrim.  We actually had a half decent team then but suffered from the old Antrim ills of wayward shooting and not being able to close games out when we were on top. :'(
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ONeill

Great seeing that again. Donaghy's mullet always a delight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mr. Nakata

As always, I look forward to guessing what the beard has in store for us as Thursday night draws ever closer. Who will be the surprise selection tomorrow night?. There's always at least one. My prediction will be the surprise selection of no surprises. Packy, Carlin, Justy, McCarron, Davy, Ricey, Jordan, Hub, Colm Cav, Tommy, Sean Cav, Joey, Penfold, O'Neill, Mugsy

Fuzzman

I think I'd be happy enough with that team.
Full back line quite inexperienced though Justy has played their what 2 years now?

Half back line has probably went from our strongest line to our weakest and so a lot of questions wouldbe asked of these guys but I think they'll come out good. Could see Joey CHB though

THat MF would be OK though maybe Sean at 9
Not sure about Tommy at 10 as would be worried would he work hard enough and get back to defend but I've been har on him of late

FF line looks great as long as Penfold has his decision making head on and doesn't do his headless chicken impression he does the odd time.

I cant wait for the team and have a feeling we'll see one of coney or p harte.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 19, 2010, 10:10:31 PM
I think I'd be happy enough with that team.
Full back line quite inexperienced though Justy has played their what 2 years now?

Half back line has probably went from our strongest line to our weakest and so a lot of questions wouldbe asked of these guys but I think they'll come out good. Could see Joey CHB though

THat MF would be OK though maybe Sean at 9
Not sure about Tommy at 10 as would be worried would he work hard enough and get back to defend but I've been har on him of late

FF line looks great as long as Penfold has his decision making head on and doesn't do his headless chicken impression he does the odd time.

I cant wait for the team and have a feeling we'll see one of coney or p harte.

Watching Tommy play for the club would suggest he would be more effective out the field.  He is well capable of covering back and defending as he is such a natural footballer he can look comfortable in most positions.  Mickey seems to prefer to use him as a ball winning player in the full forward line and he is more than qualified to make the calls but it would be great to see if Tommy could cut loose out the field and fulfill his potential on the county scene.

ONeill

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on May 19, 2010, 09:41:15 PM
As always, I look forward to guessing what the beard has in store for us as Thursday night draws ever closer. Who will be the surprise selection tomorrow night?. There's always at least one. My prediction will be the surprise selection of no surprises. Packy, Carlin, Justy, McCarron, Davy, Ricey, Jordan, Hub, Colm Cav, Tommy, Sean Cav, Joey, Penfold, O'Neill, Mugsy

I'd be very happy with that. McCarron should be able to handle Cunningham, Carlin on McCann. If Kevin McG starts as a wing forward it'll be interesting to see who picks him up. Can't see Sean Kelly being given the Sean Cavanagh job. Who's the best spoiler on the Antrim side?

ONeill

Zapatista

Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2010, 10:29:22 PM
Is he any good at nipping and spitting?

I'm good at that I started at an early age. In fact I think it was 2 of 3 of my first confessions.

Rois

Team is being named tonight as the Garvaghey Development Committee show off the work done to date on the vast site at the annual Club Tyrone Members' Night.  Always a good night and builds up the excitement for the start of the intercounty season for us.
Pity I'm in the Netherlands for it. 

NaomhBridAbú

SHould be great day for Antrim football - just not sure if they have enough to beat Tyrone - National League performances mean nothing - relegation or promotion, and it will be inteesting to see if MH is able to live to his mantra, 'if it ain't broke, break it..'

fancy Tyrone by 4 points
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Zapatista

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on May 20, 2010, 08:25:01 AM
SHould be great day for Antrim football - just not sure if they have enough to beat Tyrone - National League performances mean nothing - relegation or promotion, and it will be inteesting to see if MH is able to live to his mantra, 'if it ain't broke, break it..'

fancy Tyrone by 4 points

I was a good indicator for the Derry Armagh game.

NaomhBridAbú

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Zapatista on May 20, 2010, 08:26:37 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on May 20, 2010, 08:25:01 AM

fancy Tyrone by 4 points

I was a good indicator for the Derry Armagh game.

and Mayo?