Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Zapatista on October 07, 2009, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 07, 2009, 08:19:08 PM
Having spoken to a few players past and present it is definitely the case that this appointment was railroaded through without due consideration to the greater well being of Armagh football and was initiated several weeks ago.

How many weeks is several? Did they have a month to think about railroading it?

Believe it or not, yes.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bennydorano on October 07, 2009, 08:21:42 PM
I heard McAlinden wont build another team for someone else to cash in on in a few years time, he wants to be the beneficiary fo someone else's groundwork this time - a sensible position to take.

Have to say I'm glad that Donal Murtagh didn't get it.  Always came across as very arrogant to me, his 'we only train half pace' all summer with Cross ballix annoyed me, how can that type of arrogance and lack of respect to the opposition be good in any County manager?(Even though I always thought he was talking shite when he said it).   

IF the players buy into O'Rourke he could do ok, but if a lot of them dont show the required attitude etc.. during the McKenna Cup, early part of the National League, I'd chase them no matter who they are and surround himself with players who'll die for the jersey.  Another year's bitching and backbiting will do no one any good.
Well that's true Benny, but fact remains he would be in the running, one of the stronger candidates and look how he was treated.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

INDIANA

Quote from: naka on October 07, 2009, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 07, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
I thought it was very interesting that Mc Alinden didn't want it. Very interesting. Indicates to me there is bigger problems then just the CB. Just who holds the power in Armagh.
mc alinden didnt want hte job because he wanted to stay with the u-21s there was no agenda

Don't buy it I'm afraid.

Armamike

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 07, 2009, 05:25:24 PM
Quote from: angermanagement on October 07, 2009, 10:13:25 AM
Has Murtagh not stated in numerous media interviews over the last few weeks since Cross were beaten that he would be staying on as Cross manager next season ?

It appears to me he's got his own agenda here.
thought this myself, remember him saying that if some of the more senior players hung up their boots (which they have done) he would stay on and help the younger lads progress. did he resign from Cross or what?

Murtagh's only sin he could be accused of from that is that he was showing a modicum of loyalty to his club. Many's a man has dropped his club in an instant to run to the county. Murtagh is a fairly straight talker, he gives his opinion. That can ruffle some people up the wrong way. Maybe there was no room for a Brian Clough type character around the place.
That's just, like your opinion man.

INDIANA

Quote from: bennydorano on October 07, 2009, 08:21:42 PM
I heard McAlinden wont build another team for someone else to cash in on in a few years time, he wants to be the beneficiary fo someone else's groundwork this time - a sensible position to take.

Have to say I'm glad that Donal Murtagh didn't get it.  Always came across as very arrogant to me, his 'we only train half pace' all summer with Cross ballix annoyed me, how can that type of arrogance and lack of respect to the opposition be good in any County manager?(Even though I always thought he was talking shite when he said it).   

IF the players buy into O'Rourke he could do ok, but if a lot of them dont show the required attitude etc.. during the McKenna Cup, early part of the National League, I'd chase them no matter who they are and surround himself with players who'll die for the jersey.  Another year's bitching and backbiting will do no one any good.

But sure didn't some key players want o Rourke? I don't think thats going to be a problem. appeasing the clubs and fans will be though.

Armamike

Quote from: oraiste on October 07, 2009, 01:20:23 AM
Who told Donal he was no1? Was this set up outside the selection panel & could they have been just a smokescreen? it looks to high heaven like other influences. Mistakes have been made but we are where we areand it looks like bite thebullet tme and get the support behind the team Personal agendaslike armamikes  should not come into thios - does anyone think Paul Dugan would be a party to underhand stuff? Support should be for any players anArmagh manager puts on the pitch-we have all bitched in thepast about team selections no ,matter who made them -give this fela a chance - we have nothing to lose atthis stage. the orange jersey is what is important,not who fills it

No personal agendas from me, just total frustration and anger at the way things have been conducted over the past few months.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Lecale2

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 07, 2009, 11:06:44 PM
What is Hughie Morgan's role?
That is a good question

It extends beyond that of sponsor, that much is for certain.  The question we all should be asking is; 'WHY is this allowed to continue???'
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

oraiste

What is the involvement of Hugh Morgan Eddie hughes and Paul kelly in all of this? they were all with POR last sunday&there seems to be a committee outside of the committee - none of the other selection were there-who IS running this?

waitingforsam

Quote from: INDIANA on October 07, 2009, 09:01:12 PM
Quote from: naka on October 07, 2009, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 07, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
I thought it was very interesting that Mc Alinden didn't want it. Very interesting. Indicates to me there is bigger problems then just the CB. Just who holds the power in Armagh.
mc alinden didnt want hte job because he wanted to stay with the u-21s there was no agenda

Don't buy it I'm afraid.

For what it is worth this is fact - the water is too muddy at the senior level & with the ongoings Brian decided to stick with the u21's for another few years - with the winning minors coming through over the next 2 seasons he believed there is potential for him to breed his own senior team for years to come - somewhat not unlike Mickey Harte's path ........

Been waiting since '94

Lecale2

Quote from: oraiste on October 08, 2009, 01:02:20 AM
What is the involvement of Hugh Morgan Eddie hughes and Paul kelly in all of this? they were all with POR last sunday&there seems to be a committee outside of the committee - none of the other selection were there-who IS running this?

Is Hughie Morgan a selector?

Carbery

Armagh to unveil new back-up team
The Armagh management committee is making a concerted effort to erase some of the frustration, embarrassment and downright anger occasioned through the process that ultimately saw Paddy O'Rourke appointed as the new football manager.
The committee is planning to call a Press Conference early next week at which it is hoped to parade O'Rourke's entire back-up team — and this could include former Ireland rugby strength and conditioning coach Mike McGurn as well as two new selectors with John Toal and Paul Kelly being mentioned as a possible candidates in this respect.
McGurn, who recently terminated his involvement with the Ospreys rugby club in Wales, and who has been doing some work with the Ballinderry club, has family commitments and although Joe Kernan is very keen to have him on board with him in Galway, the Belfast-based Fermanagh native looks set to throw in his lot with the Orchard County to minimise travel difficulties, particularly over the course of the winter months.
A strong case for having McGurn as part of the Armagh management team was made at Tuesday night's management committee meeting when it was confirmed that he is anxious to secure a five-year tenure in a post working with the development squads and the other teams representing the county up to and including senior level.
This means in essence that McGurn would not necessarily be viewed as a Paddy O'Rourke appointee but would continue to work with whatever management structure is in place between now and 2014.
Ex-Armagh player Toal and former development squad mentor Kelly are in line to be involved but Oisin McConville, having initially been approached by Paul Grimley to serve as a selector when the latter was in the running for the Armagh post, has intimated that he plans to continue his playing career with Crossmaglen Rangers.
Former Down captain O'Rourke has already spelled out to the Armagh management committee in great detail exactly how he plans to drive the county forward and officials are known to be impressed by his enthusiasm and intensity.
O'Rourke's former Down boss Peter McGrath — still feeling the hurt following the manner in which he was treated when he was in the running to succeed Ross Carr as Mourne County manager last month, and further disappointed when he failed to secure the Armagh post — is now a strong candidate for the vacant Louth job, interviews for which will be held over the next 10 days.
The experienced McGrath has recently been coaching the Cooley Kickhams club in Louth which is quite convenient to his Rostrevor home.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Sandy Hill

Whatever about John Toal, who I think is a bit inexperienced just yet, I can't for the life of me see what Paul Kelly could bring to the table. What, if any, is his football background?
"Stercus accidit"

Joxer

Quote from: Sandy Hill on October 08, 2009, 11:02:06 AM

Whatever about John Toal, who I think is a bit inexperienced just yet, I can't for the life of me see what Paul Kelly could bring to the table. What, if any, is his football background?

Was waiting for his name to pop up somewhere,  Would be thinking along the same lines, he any experience of senior Inter -County management?

We'll have to wait for our resident CB official Oraiste to fill us in?

MrTaylor

Quote from: Sandy Hill on October 08, 2009, 11:02:06 AM

I can't for the life of me see what Paul Kelly could bring to the table. What, if any, is his football background?

Maybe you'd like to carry out a little research and rephrase that statement. Try researching County Development squads and successful County Minor teams over the last decade and the underage structure that Armagh has in place.