Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Paul Kelly has been involved in the Development squads and may be a very useful selector.  I like the idea of having McGurn in on a 5 year tenure as he is an excellent fitness coach and if he is a seperate paid employee then he can provide a certain level of continuity(obviously assuming he is successful)

John Toal is an unknown but Keady have improved this year and he has contributed to that.  I would like to see someone come in to specifically work with the forwards.  Obviously Oisin was the man for that until he pulled back.  Maybe Marsden or someone like that. 

naka

Have heard Toal was involved but also heard a successfule couty championship winning manager has been approached.
Mc Gurn will get a 5year paid employee stint to redevelop fitness techniques for all the teams

DuffleKing

Toal won't be involved. Up until this point, Paul Kelly has been in charge of sourcing people who would serve on the backrrom team.

That'd be another salary to pay if that successful championship winning manager comes on board now. Co board originally baulked at his expenses.

Maybe options are running out and Paul will have to do it himself?

Aghdavoyle

McGurn has a good rep and i'm glad to see someone like him coming in to add a bit of professionalism to the circus.

I'm wondering what happens in a year's time when someone else comes in at senior level and wants their own fitness trainer?

Bainisteoir

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on October 08, 2009, 12:03:31 PM

McGurn has a good rep and I'm glad to see someone like him coming in to add a bit of professionalism to the circus.

I'm wondering what happens in a year's time when someone else comes in at senior level and wants their own fitness trainer?

I've been reading bits and pieces through the last few months about Mick Mcgurn. Firstly the International rules panel and specifically Sean Cavanagh were raving about him and how advanced and suitable his techniques are to a Gaelic football environment. Also he has a column with a national newspaper (guardian or telegraph) and his articles are very interesting and you get the impression he knows what hes on about. If there is any truth in the idea of him working with all ages of Armagh teams this would be a major major coup. It was only last year i think that the New Zealand rugby union board wanted him as a "performance Director" for fitness and conditioning. This is essentially what he would be doing with Armagh. I wonder what sorta money he would be on?

Also Ive heard from numerous sources that Paul Kelly is a very astute football man but his main strength is his organisational skills with regards to management and getting things in place. He has to take alot of credit for recent underage successes in Armagh as he was the man who got the coaching structures in place years ago. Also he would know almost every young fella coming through the various underage teams better than most in the county so would be a good man to advise O'Rourke. To be honest if O'Rourke got the chop next year and McGurn was signed for 5 years i think any manager would want a man of his rep involved (Big joes after him and he knows a thing or two  ;)

gorm agus bui

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 08, 2009, 11:53:46 AM

Toal won't be involved. Up until this point, Paul Kelly has been in charge of sourcing people who would serve on the backrrom team.

That'd be another salary to pay if that successful championship winning manager comes on board now. Co board originally baulked at his expenses.

Maybe options are running out and Paul will have to do it himself?
Your posts are full of negativity, as well as  disrespect and ingratitude towards a helping hand from a county with such a history of success, glamour and class just when you have been spurned by those you thought were your friends and allies

DuffleKing

I'm sure there's an english sentance in there somewhere but i take your sentiment. You are right. posting on this subject is even depressing me so i'm going to stop now.

crossfire

If you are going to comment on someone's english, you should at least get your spelling right.

southdown

McGurn trained our gaelic team in Liverpool last week.  Seems like a pro who knows his stuff, highly regarded. 

No1

At £350 a session he would need to be. 

Although you can't train a donkey to win the Grand National.   ;D

INDIANA

Quote from: waitingforsam on October 08, 2009, 09:46:52 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 07, 2009, 09:01:12 PM
Quote from: naka on October 07, 2009, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 07, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
I thought it was very interesting that Mc Alinden didn't want it. Very interesting. Indicates to me there is bigger problems then just the CB. Just who holds the power in Armagh.
mc alinden didnt want hte job because he wanted to stay with the u-21s there was no agenda

Don't buy it I'm afraid.

For what it is worth this is fact - the water is too muddy at the senior level & with the ongoings Brian decided to stick with the u21's for another few years - with the winning minors coming through over the next 2 seasons he believed there is potential for him to breed his own senior team for years to come - somewhat not unlike Mickey Harte's path ........

I actually agree 100% with what you're saying- just coming at it from a different angle. A certain contingent of players seem to have an inordinate amount of say in matters.

Quote from: Bainisteoir on October 08, 2009, 01:09:51 PM
Quote from: Aghdavoyle on October 08, 2009, 12:03:31 PM

McGurn has a good rep and I'm glad to see someone like him coming in to add a bit of professionalism to the circus.

I've been reading bits and pieces through the last few months about Mick Mcgurn. Firstly the International rules panel and specifically Sean Cavanagh were raving about him and how advanced and suitable his techniques are to a Gaelic football environment. Also he has a column with a national newspaper (guardian or telegraph) and his articles are very interesting and you get the impression he knows what hes on about. If there is any truth in the idea of him working with all ages of Armagh teams this would be a major major coup. It was only last year i think that the New Zealand rugby union board wanted him as a "performance Director" for fitness and conditioning. This is essentially what he would be doing with Armagh. I wonder what sorta money he would be on?

Also Ive heard from numerous sources that Paul Kelly is a very astute football man but his main strength is his organisational skills with regards to management and getting things in place. He has to take alot of credit for recent underage successes in Armagh as he was the man who got the coaching structures in place years ago. Also he would know almost every young fella coming through the various underage teams better than most in the county so would be a good man to advise O'Rourke. To be honest if O'Rourke got the chop next year and McGurn was signed for 5 years i think any manager would want a man of his rep involved (Big joes after him and he knows a thing or two  ;)

Mc Gurn is top drawer. Has a young family and a role with a local Gaa county would suit him at present. also trained Bernard Dunne to a world title recently. That can only be a good move.

mackers

As disappointed as many posters on here with POR's appointment but if McGurn joins the set up that would at least have us in great nick (which we weren't this year). Still need a sharp tactician to join as I see POR as a motivator.........
Haven't posted for a few weeks but I must say that the whole thing is/was a farce with the Irish News coverage being tabloid like, gutter journalism......they fuelled the fire in fine style (with the exception of that fella McCoy  ;))
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: mackers on October 08, 2009, 09:48:14 PM
As disappointed as many posters on here with POR's appointment but if McGurn joins the set up that would at least have us in great nick (which we weren't this year). Still need a sharp tactician to join as I see POR as a motivator.........
Haven't posted for a few weeks but I must say that the whole thing is/was a farce with the Irish News coverage being tabloid like, gutter journalism......they fuelled the fire in fine style (with the exception of that fella McCoy  ;))

That man McCoy is a wan**r and is licking the ass of the Irish News :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

naka

reading the back page of the irish news this mrning it is quite clear that they are using this board as their source for stories

see gealic life have jim mc conville as part of the backroom team with mc corry

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on October 09, 2009, 09:35:44 AM
reading the back page of the irish news this mrning it is quite clear that they are using this board as their source for stories

see gealic life have jim mc conville as part of the backroom team with mc corry

naka, shure you know at least one prominent ex poster is a "journalist" for the News and Heaney and the like use t'internet as their main source of inspiration!