Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 05, 2009, 12:16:39 AM

Down had to play the entire second half during a heat wave with 14 men, went 9 up and only a dubious penalty for Canavan got Tyrone a draw. You could question Paddy's tactics when we were defending the lead, but the fates were against him,

Now, this is tremendous. A heat-wave? What stand was that. It was warm. The penalty brought Tyrone back to SIX points behind. Even when they clawed back level, Down got another goal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BerfArmagh

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 03, 2009, 09:12:37 PM

o'rourke needs:

a fitness trainer
a coach, capable of hands on work to improve players' games
an assistant who is tactically astute, can see switches and set up gameplans to counteract and explot oppositions.

any suggestions?

How about someone on the team who knows Armagh football & the players available? I have'nt seen Paddy O Rourke at too many club games!!!!

To be honest, when i first heard the news sat night I was'nt too happy. With time to reflect I think it might be alright. He takes the job with no club allegiances or 'S Armagh' Bias  ;) If anything he is taking the job for the right reasons & seems to be a very passionate manager... he does not appear to be in it to make a quick buck & that can only be applauded. I say give the man a chance, get behind him & give him time to bring in new blood. Having watched quite a few championship years there are some very good players who can come into the panel from the likes of Granemore, B Mac Nab, Harps, clans etc..

Maximus Marillius

Why didn't your county board consider John Brennan...just a thought

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Poor Paddy doesnt stand a chance in Armagh, the criticism being heaped on him already is extreme but, not suprising - remember some of the abuse levelled at big Joe and his sons towards the end of his reign as manager. And lets face it big Joe was the man who led Armagh to thier only all ireland, and the only other time Armagh came close  - he again was leading the charge from the pitch. So with that respect Paddy will never get a fair go from the Orchard supporters regardless of whether he delivers success or not.

One thing I do find hillarious is that the Armagh posters on this board seem to think that Armagh are on the brink of another all ireland sucess (only thier second).  But lads, come on, wise up! It would'nt matter if Grimbo, Rafferty, McGrath, the almighy Geezer, big Joe, Alex Ferguson, the pied piper or Nelson Mandella were in charge of your county, the fact of the matter is ye's just arent good enough. Francies gone, Oisins gone, the McEntee's are gone, Marsdens gone, McGranes gone and they have'nt been replaced as special generations of players of that calibre may only come together every 30, 40 or 50 years or so and even then may not win anything.

It says a lot also that when a managerial crisis was going on in thier own counties, Big Joe, Geezer and Grimley all turned thier backs on Armagh, most probably for 1 of 2 reasons - tax free cash or the fact that Armagh simply dont have the players at present to deliver success.

Lads every dog has its day (we had 5), next up Antrim!

haveaharp

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 10:31:03 AM
Poor Paddy doesnt stand a chance in Armagh, the criticism being heaped on him already is extreme but, not suprising - remember some of the abuse levelled at big Joe and his sons towards the end of his reign as manager. And lets face it big Joe was the man who led Armagh to thier only all ireland, and the only other time Armagh came close  - he again was leading the charge from the pitch. So with that respect Paddy will never get a fair go from the Orchard supporters regardless of whether he delivers success or not.

One thing I do find hillarious is that the Armagh posters on this board seem to think that Armagh are on the brink of another all ireland sucess (only thier second).  But lads, come on, wise up! It would'nt matter if Grimbo, Rafferty, McGrath, the almighy Geezer, big Joe, Alex Ferguson, the pied piper or Nelson Mandella were in charge of your county, the fact of the matter is ye's just arent good enough. Francies gone, Oisins gone, the McEntee's are gone, Marsdens gone, McGranes gone and they have'nt been replaced as special generations of players of that calibre may only come together every 30, 40 or 50 years or so and even then may not win anything.

It says a lot also that when a managerial crisis was going on in thier own counties, Big Joe, Geezer and Grimley all turned thier backs on Armagh, most probably for 1 of 2 reasons - tax free cash or the fact that Armagh simply dont have the players at present to deliver success.

Someday you will earn the title of WUM, but not yet son.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 10:45:05 AM

Thats no wind up love, just the sad reality of Armagh football.

Also for all the Armagh posters here it was interesting to see Jim McCorry managing Kilcoo to the Down senior championship yesterday. Kilcoo a new, young good footballing team who's victory is great for Down football. - Yet another Armagh man contributing excellent managerial expertise to county other than his own, good man Jim thanks and congratulations. 

haveaharp

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 11:43:34 AM

Also for all the Armagh posters here it was interesting to see Jim McCorry managing Kilcoo to the Down senior championship yesterday. Kilcoo a new, young good footballing team who's victory is great for Down football. - Yet another Armagh man contributing excellent managerial expertise to county other than his own, good man Jim thanks and congratulations.

And what of the tragic reality of Down football ? Jesus i could see through your crowing if you were going any place yourselves but in reality id sooner be from Carlow than Down.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 11:50:47 AM

And what of the tragic reality of Down football ? Jesus i could see through your crowing if you were going any place yourselves but in reality id sooner be from Carlow than Down.

Hmm Armagh, Carlow it's the same thing in footballing terms isn't it? Although when Armagh ladies won the NFL division 2 title in 2005 they also won the All Ireland Junior title that year too. carlow on the otherhand when they won the ladie NFL division 2 title in 1993 whey did'nt back it up with a Junior All Ireland title.

On that basis I would have to say then that Armagh are marginally the stronger footballing county!

Did I ever tell you that Down have won 5 All Irelands? Have a look through those crows!

haveaharp

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 11:50:47 AM

Hmm Armagh, Carlow it's the same thing in footballing terms isn't it? Although when Armagh ladies won the NFL division 2 title in 2005 they also won the All Ireland Junior title that year too. carlow on the otherhand when they won the ladie NFL division 2 title in 1993 whey did'nt back it up with a Junior All Ireland title.

On that basis I would have to say then that Armagh are marginally the stronger footballing county!

Did I ever tell you that Down have won 5 All Irelands? Have a look through those crows!

So have Cavan - the most successful county in Ulster.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

You dead right they are, sure big Grimley was there too. That reallly was the start of the trend that now is : Armagh men getting involved with superior footballing counties!

I can just imagine the poor Armagh souls are thinking now

Come on Cavan, sorry I mean Up Kildare, no wait a minute its Monaghan, no actually come on Galway, Oh woops its actually Armagh. Come on Armagh 4 more All Irelands and we'll match the mighy Cavan and those hoors from Down, lead us Paddy show us how Down done it.

BerfArmagh

u r some c*&k

God i hope we get you clowns in the ulster draw

haveaharp

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 01:03:51 PM
You dead right they are, sure big Grimley was there too. That reallly was the start of the trend that now is : Armagh men getting involved with superior footballing counties!

Come on Cavan, sorry I mean Up Kildare, no wait a minute its Monaghan, no actually come on Galway, Oh woops its actually Armagh. Come on Armagh 4 more All Irelands and we'll match the mighy Cavan and those hoors from Down, lead us Paddy show us how Down done it.

Down dont really register with us Armachians - we are too busy on our northern border. Down are a laughing stock of a team and wont be winning anything soon. Your great hope Benny Coulter would not get a place in the Armagh full forward line.
I hope we meet next summer.
Until then.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 01:10:34 PM

Down dont really register with us Armachians - we are too busy on our northern border. Down are a laughing stock of a team and wont be winning anything soon. Your great hope Benny Coulter would not get a place in the Armagh full forward line.
Until then.

I would'nt be so sure Haveaharp, Paddy O'Rourkes now your manager there will always be a place for Benny in Paddy's heart being a true Down man. Speaking of which Paddy having won All Irelands with Down at minor, under 21, senior, and club, he's used to nothing but sucess but now he's changed his allegience to Armagh.

Its a bit like swapping your:

- Ferrari for a Fiat Uno,
- Cheryl cole for Joe Cole, (in terms of lovers)
- An Armani suit for a Dunnes one. (Armani's a famous clothes designer for those on the northern border and I'm hoping u know what Dunnes is)
- Martin Clarke for Ronan Clarke

I'm sure you get the picture,

Like you said I'll see you next summer then as I take it as true Armagh gael you won't be going to see me when Down play Armagh early next year in the league?

bingobus

This is funny.   ;D  ;D

I don't think the reaction would have been as bad if the Rev Ian Paisley got the job  ;D

The GAA

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 01:40:38 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 01:10:34 PM

Until then.

I would'nt be so sure Haveaharp, Paddy O'Rourkes now your manager there will always be a place for Benny in Paddy's heart being a true Down man. Speaking of which Paddy having won All Irelands with Down at minor, under 21, senior, and club, he's used to nothing but sucess but now he's changed his allegience to Armagh.

even as a manager?