McEntee Twins retire from Club Football

Started by Master Yoda, September 23, 2009, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

I would also like to wish them all the best, two Armagh legends and they played an integral part in the success of Crossmaglen, I loved watching those two boys play and they graced pitches all over Ireland for the club and County causes.

I wonder how BC feels about this news.......................... probably old.  :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BerfArmagh

2 great club & county servants. John mac was my favorite player along with Franice & mc Grane on the AIF team..... Unfairly criticised at times, its only now when they are gone that there true worth and contribution is noticed

Happy retirement lads

pats-mc

Sad to hear of the retirement of the twins. As well as being two of the nicest fellas that you could meet they were two tremendous players. Played against them on more than one occasion and always found them to be great competitors who always played hard but fair. John on particular has never been replaced on the Armagh team and even last year was easily the best club player in Armagh in my opinion.Steven Mc Donnell hasnt been the same player for Armagh since he quit. Two very adaptable players as well. Tony has i sure represented both Armagh and Cross on every line on the field and handled most positions adaquately. Massive loss to cross and to football in Armagh.

bingobus

The two lads have been a credit to the GAA, their club and counties over the years.

We've had both down to the club on a few occassions to present medals to juveniles and they couldn't do enough for you.

I hope they enjoy the free evenings now but suspect we'll see them prowling sidelines in the future.

mountainboii

No doubt they could still play on for another couple of years if they wanted, particularly John, who I felt was still worthy of a place on the county team up to this year.

But from the sounds of it, they recognise that by staying on they'd be stopping a couple of young lads breaking into the Cross team. Probably the best long term decision for Cross and hopefully for Armagh too.

under the bar

Two players who knew the right time to retire from the county scene.  Some of the deadwood thats hung around the Armagh squad too long could have taken a leaf out of their book.

Winnie Peg

Quote from: Master Yoda on September 23, 2009, 11:28:05 AM
I would like to wish the McEntee twins the best of luck in their retirement from football.
I played against them a few times and would have great respect for them, they played the game the way it should be played, hard but fair.

I hope that you weren't the Loup player who squeezed his testicles in the Ulster Club game which resulted in him reacting and get sent off while the Loup player rolled about the ground as though he was poleaxed.

Doire abú

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 23, 2009, 04:20:05 PM
Sad that this day has come.  Two fantastic players, played the game in their own unique style and added so much to any team they played on.

Seem to be very down to earth fellas and have given me a lot of pleasure watching them over the years.  An inspiration to all young lad (and lassies ((have to stay PC))) around the country.

Wish them all the best and hopefully they'll reconsider come the brighter evenings next year and they are wondering what to do with themselves.  I wouldn't like the last game I ever seen them play to be the Ogs game.

All the best to them whatever they do.

Going till/sying on Amragh SFC quarter-finals SLK? And youse Loup boys were playing down your chances of winnin Derry!  ;D ;D

ONeill

Always loved watching these lads play. I think it was John who scored Armagh's first point in the AIF of 03 - great technique.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armamike

Sad to see them retiring - hard to believe we won't see them in a Cross jersey again. Just like with Armagh they could have stayed on another year or two, but they know when to get out. Two great servants to Cross and Armagh. 

Both of them exuded coolness under pressure - nothing could ruffle this pair. Amazing natural power and strength - freaks of nature really.  I liked their directness, on and off the pitch. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

moysider

Great lads. Sad to see fellas move on. None of us getting any younger. Great careers.

Orior

Great players, and true gentlemen.

Load of stories about them - my favourite is John informing the manager to remove one of the Kernan boys from the pitch.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SidelineKick

Quote from: Doire abú on September 23, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on September 23, 2009, 04:20:05 PM
Sad that this day has come.  Two fantastic players, played the game in their own unique style and added so much to any team they played on.

Seem to be very down to earth fellas and have given me a lot of pleasure watching them over the years.  An inspiration to all young lad (and lassies ((have to stay PC))) around the country.

Wish them all the best and hopefully they'll reconsider come the brighter evenings next year and they are wondering what to do with themselves.  I wouldn't like the last game I ever seen them play to be the Ogs game.

All the best to them whatever they do.

Going till/sying on Amragh SFC quarter-finals SLK? And youse Loup boys were playing down your chances of winnin Derry!   ;D ;D

:D I was in Armagh that evening anyway so killed 2 birds with the one stone!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Master Yoda

Quote from: Winnie Peg on September 23, 2009, 07:59:10 PM
Quote from: Master Yoda on September 23, 2009, 11:28:05 AM
I would like to wish the McEntee twins the best of luck in their retirement from football.
I played against them a few times and would have great respect for them, they played the game the way it should be played, hard but fair.

I hope that you weren't the Loup player who squeezed his testicles in the Ulster Club game which resulted in him reacting and get sent off while the Loup player rolled about the ground as though he was poleaxed.

Wasn't me.  ;) ;)
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

sammymaguire

what positions did they play for Crosss? one midfield I suppose and was the other a back?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!