Peter McKenna

Started by Jinxy, September 09, 2009, 12:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteYou are Peter McKenna or else you know him or related to him and its clouded your judgement.

Sweet Lord living lantern living  jeeeeeezus.  What an interesting thought on your part. 

I said at the start that I was in favour of the old style presentation but would have respect for a decision that Peter McKenna would make.  I use the board here to tease out and discuss alternatives to a lot of things - but the answer to your surmising is that, no, I am not related to Peter McKenna - or Dessie Farrell either.   Do I know him?  What about people that don't know him at all making adverse comments about what he does and doesn't do?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 09, 2009, 02:14:57 PM
QuoteYou are Peter McKenna or else you know him or related to him and its clouded your judgement.

Sweet Lord living lantern living  jeeeeeezus.  What an interesting thought on your part. 

I said at the start that I was in favour of the old style presentation but would have respect for a decision that Peter McKenna would make.  I use the board here to tease out and discuss alternatives to a lot of things - but the answer to your surmising is that, no, I am not related to Peter McKenna - or Dessie Farrell either.   Do I know him?  What about people that don't know him at all making adverse comments about what he does and doesn't do?

Knew you know him, makes sense reading between the lines, its like your his spokeperson, your opinion is clouded by that, Cant you see it yourself?. I think you will agree the majority are against his idea, and also your argument in his favour is very weak compared to the argument and suggestions to let people on the pitch.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gorm agus bui

So you carry on something that is traditional yet maybe harmful to you or your friends, or maybe casuing thousands of euro in damage to the pitch two weeks before the AI Football final when it can be avoided. Thousands of euro that will never be chanelled back down to the clubs because of excessive insurance claims or damage to the pitch
It seems to have been traditional in some institutions in this country to abuse children or batter your wife but that did not make it right.
Time to move on and I can only echo what Bud and Orangeman have said. McKenna is doing a fine job despite the begrudgers.
Makes me wonder sometimes if theya actually play an active roll in the Association or do they just sit back and wait on the next thing they can have a dig at.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gorm agus bui on September 09, 2009, 02:38:20 PM
So you carry on something that is traditional yet maybe harmful to you or your friends, or maybe casuing thousands of euro in damage to the pitch two weeks before the AI Football final when it can be avoided. Thousands of euro that will never be chanelled back down to the clubs because of excessive insurance claims or damage to the pitch
It seems to have been traditional in some institutions in this country to abuse children or batter your wife but that did not make it right.
Time to move on and I can only echo what Bud and Orangeman have said. McKenna is doing a fine job despite the begrudgers.
Makes me wonder sometimes if theya actually play an active roll in the Association or do they just sit back and wait on the next thing they can have a dig at.

Go back to cloud nine will ya, the worst comparison ever to make a point ::).

Yere on about a bit of insurance money and minor injuries ffs, the experience for everyone on the pitch is PRICELESS. We know the risks, everyone does so just let us get on with it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Jinxy

The mind actually boggles.... ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

donelli

So you carry on something that is traditional yet maybe harmful to you or your friends, or maybe casuing thousands of euro in damage to the pitch two weeks before the AI Football final when it can be avoided. Thousands of euro that will never be chanelled back down to the clubs because of excessive insurance claims or damage to the pitchIt seems to have been traditional in some institutions in this country to abuse children or batter your wife but that did not make it right.

Now that is funny. havent seen any money go to tour club from Croke park in the last 10 years. And as for the soccer and rugby money, none was recieved by any club in our county.

Minder

Quote from: Jinxy on September 09, 2009, 02:46:26 PM
Time to move on and I can only echo what Bud and Orangeman have said. McKenna is doing a fine
job despite the begrudgers.

The mind actually boggles.... ::)

Not if you have seen some of his previous posts.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

QuoteIt seems to have been traditional in some institutions in this country to abuse children or batter your wife but that did not make it right.

you have to wonder about the thinking beyond someone purporting to be GAA fan comparing celebrating a victory on the pitch to abusing children.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 09, 2009, 02:14:57 PM

What about it?
This is a GAA discussion board.
Do we have to personally know people before we can discuss them?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

1- These insurance claims talked about are pure scaremongering. I have yet to either see/hear or anyone being seriously injured.

2- Bono did far more damage to the pitch than anyone last Sunday. If they are so concerned about the pitch why in the middle of the championship season did the pitch resemble a bad junior pitch. The repairwork for that far exceeded anything that was required after last sunday.

A lot of people here are talking about the corporate sponsorship. Lets assume the Gaa sees itself as a business as it does. And the games that take place on the pitch are the product. What other company in the world would allow its product to be damaged as the Gaa did in the middle of a championship season by a rock concert? Despite giving assurances it would never happan again.
It looked bloody awful from a spectator view on TV and at the ground and was worse again to play on for the players who can't even get a training session on it. But of course if BOD wants to hold a seance before the Autumn Internationals he'll get permission to do so.
It was the equivalent of me buying a building in the IFSC and allowing a bunch of vandals to decorate the walls with their own special brand of graffiti.

At the end of the day Mc Kenna would be quite happy to allow the IRFU to take full ownership of the place and evict the Gaa for all he cares about the Gaa.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 09, 2009, 03:28:56 PM

1- These insurance claims talked about are pure scaremongering. I have yet to either see/hear or anyone being seriously injured.

2- Bono did far more damage to the pitch than anyone last Sunday. If they are so concerned about the pitch why in the middle of the championship season did the pitch resemble a bad junior pitch. The repairwork for that far exceeded anything that was required after last sunday.

A lot of people here are talking about the corporate sponsorship. Lets assume the Gaa sees itself as a business as it does. And the games that take place on the pitch are the product. What other company in the world would allow its product to be damaged as the Gaa did in the middle of a championship season by a rock concert? Despite giving assurances it would never happan again.
It looked bloody awful from a spectator view on TV and at the ground and was worse again to play on for the players who can't even get a training session on it. But of course if BOD wants to hold a seance before the Autumn Internationals he'll get permission to do so.
It was the equivalent of me buying a building in the IFSC and allowing a bunch of vandals to decorate the walls with their own special brand of graffiti.

At the end of the day Mc Kenna would be quite happy to allow the IRFU to take full ownership of the place and evict the Gaa for all he cares about the Gaa.

There's no doubt that Mc Kenna's brief is to get maximum income from the "facility". Landsdowne Road will be trying to do the same when it comes along.

I'm not sure how Mc Kenna sees the GAA championships / leagues etc. Maybe they are a hindrance to him in that he's forced to organise the bread and butter of the "facility", i.e rock concerts and non GAA sports around less profitable and less mannerly GAA sports and supporters ??? Time to get the priorities right ?  ;)

Bud Wiser

QuoteWhat about it?
This is a GAA discussion board.
Do we have to personally know people before we can discuss them?

Jinxy, this is the last time I am going to go to the bother of taking you by the hand and explaining things to you.

It was alleged that I was related to Peter McKenna, which in itself was a stupid allegation.  It was then alleged that I know Peter McKenna which as it happens I do like I know hundreds and thousands of people but which has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic in question.  I merely made the point if knowing somebody was a crime what about those that didn't know him at all, never seen him or read about him and they make comments while I would be judged that knowing him is a reason to agree with him.  Knowing somebody has nothing to do with it, same as I know all my local TD's but can't agree with them all or vote for them all.  Can you understand that?  Probably not.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

johnneycool

So you carry on something that is traditional yet maybe harmful to you or your friends, or maybe casuing thousands of euro in damage to the pitch two weeks before the AI Football final when it can be avoided.

Kilkenny camogs and U-21 hurlers will be playing on it this sunday AFAIK so the pitch will have only a weeks grace before the football finals.

Croke park has become totally unaccessible to the vast majority of GAA fans with stewards holding up their orange fencing even at the Christy Ring final where there were more stewards required to hold the feckin thing up that there were actual fans in the stand, totally absurd and uncalled for.
The strength of the GAA has always been the club and the people who make clubs run on a daily basis, once the Mecca of all things GAA becomes out of their reach it'll be a sad day for the GAA.

Peter can busy himself generating revenue from the corporate boxes and whatever other corporate/presentation facilities which exist under the hogan stand but leave the age old traditions of pitch invasions to the real people of the GAA as I don't think he really grasps the feeling ordinary GAA people have for the right to walk on the hallowed turf.

Bud Wiser

The only time people should be on the pitch in Croke Park is when there is a concert.

Ask the GPA, they look after players welfare and they agree with the new proposed presentation format so why not give the podium money to them and let them have a little bash of their own with it.

BallyhaiseMan

Only time people should be on the pitch is a concert?  ???
Podium money????,
You talk some amount of shite Bud Weiser.
Are you that out of touch with what the vast majority of GAA members opinions are on this, or are you on a fishing expedition?
They should ban all Concerts from Croke Park from April-September,let those tools like Bono freeze in Winter if they want to,but they should not be affecting our GAA chmpionships.