Peter McKenna

Started by Jinxy, September 09, 2009, 12:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteWhat do you think of his comments with regard to kilkenny supporters dumping their rubbish on the pitch Bud?
What do you think of his statement that the return of fencing is inevitable?

Like I said, I agree with McKenna, he has a job to do and as far as I am concerned he is doing a bloody good one.  Now is not the time for some indecisive eejits like what run such important bodies as our health service to be in McKennas position.
What do you think of supporters hitting security/stewards a box in the face, some of them with injuries that will cost the GAA thousands?  What do you think of anyone in the front rows that had children that did not want to go on the pitch but could have been crushed to death because the people doing the pushing had no regard for anyone only themselves.

I agree that the GAA should make Croke Park AIF a family day and fireworks at the awarding cermony would have been conducive to this.  Perhaps if ihad been announced that fireworks required all to remain in their seats it would have been better, I don't know, as I said I am in favour of the older tradidion but by the same token I will accept the new one.  As I suggested, if a 30 second add on RTE cost McHales Hay Balers 15,000 euro, then if a sponsor was found for the podium for 20,000 (considering it is going to be on RTE for a lot longer than 30 seconds and in every paper) and if that were to go to Goal or whatever charity the winning team decide then there is a carrot and stick approach which may have been better.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

The other side of the story is likely to be printed this week too from the supporters end. So this looks like its going to run.

Jinxy

Bud, I've seen Frontline security in action. There was a number of witnesses on Liveline yesterday that reported some extremely rough behaviour towards one young lad in particular. Like Indiana says, there's more to come on this. As for all the talk of podiums, sponsors and fireworks, this isn't the Heineken Cup. I couldn't care less if we're missing out on an opportunity to make a few grand.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 09, 2009, 10:48:58 AM
Bud, I've seen Frontline security in action. There was a number of witnesses on Liveline yesterday that reported some extremely rough behaviour towards one young lad in particular. Like Indiana says, there's more to come on this. As for all the talk of podiums, sponsors and fireworks, this isn't the Heineken Cup. I couldn't care less if we're missing out on an opportunity to make a few grand.

Well said.

bottlethrower7

I don't think McKenna is doing a good job. He has one of the easiest jobs in the country. Croke Park is the only stadium of its size so there will always be demand for its use. There is no fighting or pitching needed to get events to take place there. The corporate facilities are top-notch and with the stadium's location so close to the city, again people will always want to piggy-back onto the whole romanticism of the GAA and its history and use the facilities.

I'm sure the bottom-line figures are all fine and dandy and from that perspective hes doing the job that was asked of him. But hes not in touch with grassroots GAA, its ethos, its people, what it stands for, and some of the fundamentals that should always always be preserved. For me thats the main problem. Hurling and football teams can't get access to the pitch for a runout the week before a game, yet its no bother for soccer or rugby to get all the time they want on it. The pitch being torn up - well that just beggars belief and theres no way it can be dressed up to make it sound any way sensible - remember 1985? The Simple Minds gig, how it made shit of the pitch and how the GAA said it would never make that mistake again (even though they did in 1987 with the U2 concerts that year).

When I was a kid I went to Croke Park whenever there was any game of any description on. I could relate what was happening there with what I did myself in my home club. Some of the guys in the club worked in the stadium in various roles. The history just exuded from the place - you could almost hear echoes of Ring, Keher and Rackard. You knew this was the stadium, the very same stadium, that those people who are such important historical figures stood in generations before you.

But now. Now its this big characterless money-making entity that the majority of people playing our games have not got a hope in hell of ever playing on. Now we're lucky if we even get to walk on the sod after a game. Now we have private security firms watching your every move. Its become an intimidating, less accessible place. Its become something that kids can only dream about ever playing in. When I was a kid we had the schools finals there. We brought our hurls to games. We went down onto the pitch and pucked around until we were asked to leave. I'm not saying it should go back to that, but its becoming further and further from what it should be.

The GAA is build around the people who volunteer. Who take teams out. The players who play. The kids who turn up in their droves every saturday morning to learn the skills of hurling and football. The stadium is their/our stadium. It shouldn't be this big white elephant that now stands where our beloved Croke Park used to. And its up to Peter McKenna and the rest of those in Croke Park Teo to ensure it stays the GAA's stadium (without losing sight of what the GAA really is and stands for).

orangeman

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 09, 2009, 11:00:14 AM
I don't think McKenna is doing a good job. He has one of the easiest jobs in the country. Croke Park is the only stadium of its size so there will always be demand for its use. There is no fighting or pitching needed to get events to take place there. The corporate facilities are top-notch and with the stadium's location so close to the city, again people will always want to piggy-back onto the whole romanticism of the GAA and its history and use the facilities.

I'm sure the bottom-line figures are all fine and dandy and from that perspective hes doing the job that was asked of him. But hes not in touch with grassroots GAA, its ethos, its people, what it stands for, and some of the fundamentals that should always always be preserved. For me thats the main problem. Hurling and football teams can't get access to the pitch for a runout the week before a game, yet its no bother for soccer or rugby to get all the time they want on it. The pitch being torn up - well that just beggars belief and theres no way it can be dressed up to make it sound any way sensible - remember 1985? The Simple Minds gig, how it made shit of the pitch and how the GAA said it would never make that mistake again (even though they did in 1987 with the U2 concerts that year).

When I was a kid I went to Croke Park whenever there was any game of any description on. I could relate what was happening there with what I did myself in my home club. Some of the guys in the club worked in the stadium in various roles. The history just exuded from the place - you could almost hear echoes of Ring, Keher and Rackard. You knew this was the stadium, the very same stadium, that those people who are such important historical figures stood in generations before you.

But now. Now its this big characterless money-making entity that the majority of people playing our games have not got a hope in hell of ever playing on. Now we're lucky if we even get to walk on the sod after a game. Now we have private security firms watching your every move. Its become an intimidating, less accessible place. Its become something that kids can only dream about ever playing in. When I was a kid we had the schools finals there. We brought our hurls to games. We went down onto the pitch and pucked around until we were asked to leave. I'm not saying it should go back to that, but its becoming further and further from what it should be.

The GAA is build around the people who volunteer. Who take teams out. The players who play. The kids who turn up in their droves every saturday morning to learn the skills of hurling and football. The stadium is their/our stadium. It shouldn't be this big white elephant that now stands where our beloved Croke Park used to. And its up to Peter McKenna and the rest of those in Croke Park Teo to ensure it stays the GAA's stadium (without losing sight of what the GAA really is and stands for).

Can't argue with any of that.

stephenite

Excellent post Bottlethower7

INDIANA

Its amazing though these security groups can never police the Hill regardles of what supporters are on it. Heard there were some very unsavorery incidents on Sunday there. The only thing they seem to be good at is being macho at the end of games. perhaps if they actually did their jobs properly in the first place, they'd have more respect.

Franko

Jeez bud with all thi talk of facts and figures and advertising revenue and the likes you are beginning to remind me of a fella Farrell I once knew...   ;)

Bud Wiser

QuoteAs for all the talk of podiums, sponsors and fireworks, this isn't the Heineken Cup. I couldn't care less if we're missing out on an opportunity to make a few grand.

I know you don't care about missing out on a few grand but I wasn't talking about you missing out.  What I was saying was that firstly I was in favour of the old way the presentation has been made- but - if they want to chgange it to a podium style thingy in the middle of the park there are a hell of a lot of charities that could benefit from the idea of the podium sponsorship going to their aid.  There are little girls waiting on heart op's, there are children waiting on liver transplants that could be done in other countries and countless other charities such as the Kilkenny team are lining out for this evening at 6.30pm in Nolan Park and the point I made is that an interaction between the GAA and the public in general would be good PR for all of us.  We would be the first to do it.  That would have frig all to do with the Heiniken cup or any other cup other than the McCarthy Cup and the Sam Maguire Cup.

As for Bottlethrowers post, I could not agree more, yes, mistakes have been made but we are not all perfect, including Peter McKenna.  It is from mistakes we learn and above all other people I think McKenna is the first one who will admit that.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Jinxy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 09, 2009, 11:43:03 AM
QuoteAs for all the talk of podiums, sponsors and fireworks, this isn't the Heineken Cup. I couldn't care less if we're missing out on an opportunity to make a few grand.

I know you don't care about missing out on a few grand but I wasn't talking about you missing out.  What I was saying was that firstly I was in favour of the old way the presentation has been made- but - if they want to chgange it to a podium style thingy in the middle of the park there are a hell of a lot of charities that could benefit from the idea of the podium sponsorship going to their aid.  There are little girls waiting on heart op's, there are children waiting on liver transplants that could be done in other countries and countless other charities such as the Kilkenny team are lining out for this evening at 6.30pm in Nolan Park and the point I made is that an interaction between the GAA and the public in general would be good PR for all of us.  We would be the first to do it.  That would have frig all to do with the Heiniken cup or any other cup other than the McCarthy Cup and the Sam Maguire Cup.

As for Bottlethrowers post, I could not agree more, yes, mistakes have been made but we are not all perfect, including Peter McKenna.  It is from mistakes we learn and above all other people I think McKenna is the first one who will admit that.

Why does it have to involve the presentation at all?
Have a half-time free-taking competition and the winner gets to nominate a charity to receive 20 grand.
Your suggestion is still driven by advertising a corporate sponsor Bud regardless of where the money goes.

Bud Wiser

Maybe have an egg and spoon race then.  That should do it.  "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a special announcement, we are having a flute of a free taking competition at half time, please do not enter the pitch after the game"
What I was suggesting was that by associating the presentation with charity and by showing an extended hand the GAA would get more respect for the podium idea.  However, I now see that this would not work either because some would never get the message.

Jinxy

Bud, you should worry less about sponsors, PR and getting "respect" and more about the traditions and ideals of the association.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 09, 2009, 11:43:03 AM

You are Peter McKenna or else you know him or related to him and its clouded your judgement.

The experience of being on Croke Park pitch is huge, why take it away from anyone? Its the crueliest idea ever. The positives you throw out are incaparable to negatives of stopping it. Absolutely stupid, the fans wont let it happen anyway. He is codding himself if he thinks he'll stop it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Jinxy on September 09, 2009, 01:50:47 PM
Bud, you should worry less about sponsors, PR and getting "respect" and more about the traditions and ideals of the association.

Well in case you have missed the point altogether, which you obviously have and it doesn't surprise me, the traditions and ideals of the association include the embracing of community affairs.  Many many families have had the support of the GAA when they needed it, many charity games have been played at great commitment by the players and ordinary supporters none more recently than the tragic circumstances surrounding the recent accident in Wisconsin.  Likewise, the Kilkenny team play tonight for charity and but for circumstances that happened this morning I would have been down ther as well, although I might still get to go.

What I was suggesting has nothing to do whatsoever with Corporate sponsorship in the corporate sense as in GPA'ish.  Here is a question for you.  Just say Tyrone were in the All-Ireland Final and it was suggested that a sponsor for the podium was obtained and from that 20,000 euro would go to the Cormac Trust Fund, would you think not alone Tyrone supporters but all decent supporters from all counties would not respect it?