Towns/Villages In The North

Started by galwayman, August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 31, 2009, 05:54:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2009, 03:51:02 PM
I was driving through Tamlaght in Co Fermanagh and there were Union Jacks everywhere. I know it's a small village, but I've never seen as much flags in the one area before.
A Protestant lives there.

LOL
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 31, 2009, 11:15:40 AM
There was a show on last night on TG4 about Iris Robinson's beliefs.

A fella from the south who was gay kept visiting her office to see if he could get "help". One thing that struck me was that TG4 interviewed him in Irish outside the Unionist office in loyalist heartland.

It struck me that it didn't seem to matter now whereas a few years ago there would be big trouble. Bassed on that I'm not sure people care so much any more.
The locals probably thought it was Ulster Scots!

Roger

Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2009, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 31, 2009, 05:54:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2009, 03:51:02 PM
I was driving through Tamlaght in Co Fermanagh and there were Union Jacks everywhere. I know it's a small village, but I've never seen as much flags in the one area before.
A Protestant lives there.

LOL
Agree, very good Tony.  :D

The Iceman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 31, 2009, 09:14:54 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 31, 2009, 08:12:32 PM
driving up the mall, barack street and out the newry road does not constitiute driving through armagh city

2/3rds of armagh would be considered catholic areas with 1/3 protestant

I know i never shopped a day in my life in barrack street or purchased any food there

nor would you get many protestants in Micky Kellys (though there are exceptions)
I've bought plenty on Barrack St. Have I let Ireland down?

You can shop where you like Tony - it's usually the protestant shops that stock waist 40 and above ;)

I was just making the point that Armagh town/city is not the loyalist den the original poster made it out to be.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tonto

Quote from: galwayman on August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Driving through Armagh city there were Union Jacks everywhere - I didn't realise this was a mainly protestant city?
Blatant lie to make a point.

As has been pointed out, Barrack Street, the Mall at the Gaol and Barrack Hill are really the only areas with flags etc up.

Try going out the Friary Rd if you want to see the real flags of Mother Ireland ::)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tonto on September 01, 2009, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: galwayman on August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Driving through Armagh city there were Union Jacks everywhere - I didn't realise this was a mainly protestant city?
Blatant lie to make a point.

As has been pointed out, Barrack Street, the Mall at the Gaol and Barrack Hill are really the only areas with flags etc up.

Try going out the Friary Rd if you want to see the real flags of Mother Ireland ::)

And what would those be Tonto?
Tbc....

galwayman

QuoteBlatant lie to make a point.
Actually it's not a lie. It is merely a statement of what I saw whilst driving to Belfast last weekend and going via Armagh. Maybe I only drove through a small part of the city - I don't know - as it was my first time in the place and I'm not overly familiar with it. The area I drove through has Union Jacks everywhere - that is a fact.

puskas

"a protestant city" an understandable - if mistaken - conclusion for a first-timer in Armagh to reach if you drive through it from Newry/Dublin and out to Portadown/Belfast, the locals in that part of town have always been enthusiastic about their flags during the summer. Most of Armagh - 69/70% at the last elections IIRC - however would not be of the unionist persuasion.

heganboy

Up Armagh

ps you know those orange and white flags are not unionist or loyalist?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

As some posters have said, if you travelled through Armagh at the minute you'd reasonably assume that it's predominantly Unionist/Protestant/Loyalist. It goes to show the penchant there is in that community for marking their territory.

Having said that the likes of Umgola etc. aren't behind the door in making their allegiance known on the green side of the house.

Iceman you must be thinking of the other Tony. I'm still a bit shy of the 40" mark, although that Chinese from East tonight won't help.

ardmhachaabu

TYP, I take it you remember the wee sweet shop Websters on Barrack Street?  The wee woman who owned it was lovely.  I bought a 1/4 of lemon sherbets in there every chance I got
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

armaghniac

Quote"a protestant city" an understandable - if mistaken - conclusion for a first-timer in Armagh

If Armagh city is such a Nationalist place why doesn't it have a competitive GAA club.  ???
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on September 01, 2009, 10:56:01 PM
Quote"a protestant city" an understandable - if mistaken - conclusion for a first-timer in Armagh

If Armagh city is such a Nationalist place why doesn't it have a competitive GAA club.  ???
You could ask the same about Derry and Belfast (moreso for hurling)

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

sammymaguire

what did you buy on Barrack Street a Bada Bing or a pint of Guinness in the Victoria? 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!